Mod 1

Thread: Mod 1

Unregistered

Mod 1

I have been told that Col. Kurt Hoffman who is the newly elected sheriff of Sarasota County knows who posts information on this site. During the election, he told a supporter (my friend) that he knows the names of posters and they are not anonymous. I would like to know if posts are anonymous or not.
    This site is dangerous for current employees. It needs to be anonymous and we need to know it is anonymous. Thank you

Unregistered

Bradenton officer fired for making social media posts with his name attached

https://www.mysuncoast.com/2020/08/3...investigation/

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

If your name is attached to absolutely anything on the internet, then you may be targeted, investigated and subpoenaed by angry law enforcement politicians who look bad in internet postings.

Several years ago when Col. Kurt Hoffman was the attorney for Sheriff Tom Knight, Hoffman encouraged Knight to sue leoaffairs for the IP addresses of posters, but Knight declined to do that. However, when Hoffman is sworn in as the new Sarasota sheriff in January of 2021, he will have the full legal and political power of the Sarasota Sheriff's Office to seek revenge against internet posters. Conversely, when Hoffman exercises his newfound power for revenge, he will be exposed as a "typical mafioso-type angry politician" who is seeking revenge. The only thing more dangerous than a crooked mafioso is a crooked mafioso who seeks revenge. The mafia is infamous for it. Buckle up buttercup.

Unregistered
    I have been told that Col. Kurt Hoffman who is the newly elected sheriff of Sarasota County knows who posts information on this site. During the election, he told a supporter (my friend) that he knows the names of posters and they are not anonymous. I would like to know if posts are anonymous or not.

This site is dangerous for current employees. It needs to be anonymous and we need to know it is anonymous. Thank you

That is correct.

• If your name is attached to anything on the internet, then it can be dangerous for you. You are subject to becoming the "target" of an investigation. That liability is on you for allowing your name to be attached.

However...

• Anonymous posts at leoaffairs remain anon. Leoaffairs will not honor a subpoena that is issued by Hoffman or his appointed henchmen. Leoaffairs might delete a post, if there is a legitimate complaint or if there is civil liability, but leoaffairs will not honor subpoenas.
    • Mod 1 said that IPs at leoaffairs are anon. As proof, Mod 1 issued issued a challenge for anyone to post his IP. No one has been able to do that, so far. Illegally hacking into a website is a criminal offense that leaves digital fingerprints that can be used to file civil AND criminal charges.

Unregistered
    I have been told that Col. Kurt Hoffman who is the newly elected sheriff of Sarasota County knows who posts information on this site. During the election, Hoffman told a supporter (my friend) that he knows the names of posters and they are not anonymous. I would like to know if posts are anonymous or not.

If they suspect you, then it will be discussed at a super-secret senior staff meeting. General Hoffman will ask Major Blowhard to tell Captain Hook to tell Lieutenant Wannabe to tell Sergeant Stripes to "advise" Deputy Dawg to knock it off if he values his job -- or else!!!! But without proof, it stops there. Period. The moral of the story is to not leave your name on the internet.

If you know that John Jackass is a royal jackass, fine. It's a fact. But if you sign your name to your opinion and if John Jackass is the sheriff, then you're now "fair game" for John Jackass to go after.

If you leave your name anywhere, then you are fair game (in their eyes). In the old days, people lost their jobs due to "booze and broads," but "shared internet comments" has now been added to that mix.

Administrator LEO Affairs Chief MOD 1's Avatar
    We get claims like this every so often. There is no way for anyone to see any information on posters on here other than me. With that said, the only thing I can see is IP addresses. With that all I can find out is who is your Internet Service Provider, the city, and state you are posting from. That is it. If I want to know your name, I would have to get it from your Internet Service Provider and trust me, they are not going to just give it up without a subpoena.

We did get subpoenas years ago from the Hillsborough County Sheriff for IP addresses of John and Jane Doe deputies who were posting about departmental issues and investigations on our boards. LEO Affairs fought those subpoenas and at the Second District Court of Appeals it was ruled that we did not have to turn over any IP addresses for those subpoenas. The court ruled without comment, which meant the Sheriff could not appeal it to the Florida Supreme Court. So as it stands, that is the standing case law in our area.

With all of that said, I would like to say a couple of things about protecting yourselves. Be careful about posting in the same way that you talk, write reports, or the same things you say to others. I have personally identified posters who had posted with their names previously and were posting with a different IP address and anonymously, but I could just tell by how they were "talking" that it was the same person. So my point is, just be careful how you "speak" on the board so that you don't identify yourself. The two that I called out on it, were so shocked when I called them and confronted them that they couldn't deny it.

Next, NEVER post from a work computer or network. That can always be tracked back to you.

If you are overly concerned about being identified, use a VPN or a proxy server. There are a number of free ones that are easy to use. These will hide your IP address where I can't even see your real IP address.

I will wrap this up. You are perfectly safe posting here. Just watch your self, follow the Terms of Use and don't give yourself away. I will always protect you to the best of my ability. If you feel the need for extra protection, I have told you what to do. If you have any questions or concerns please post the here or email me at mod1@leoaffairs.com.

Thank you,

Mod 1
    Mod 1

http://WWW.LEOAFFAIRS.COM

Terms Of Use

The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments posted in a
    courthouse is this: You cannot post "Thou Shalt Not Steal," "Thou Shalt
    Not Commit Adultery," and "Thou Shall Not Lie" in a building full of
    lawyers, judges and politicians...It creates a hostile work environment.

Unregistered

In the above BPD firing, the officer signed his name to his Facebook comments. That was not wise because he wrote statements that his chief determined were "politically incorrect," so she fired him. Internet politics is extremely dangerous.

Moving along to SSO...

An SSO IA investigator made two important First Amendment distinctions:

1. Incarceration: The First Amendment allows you to write whatever you want online and the government cannot incarcerate you for it. In medieval Europe, kings incarcerated dissenters for it. Today, Tom Knight and Kurt Hoffman classify dissenters as "disgruntled," but the concept is the same.
    2. No Job Security: The First Amendment does not provide job security to disgruntled dissenters because the elected sheriff can fire you if you write a dissenting comment online. Your only First Amendment option is to agree with him in public, even if you do not agree with him.

Tom Knight and Kurt Hoffman cannot incarcerate you for being disgruntled dissenters, but they can terminate your employment. The only exception to point #2 (above) is if a union contract negotiates something different, but SSO employees do not have a union contract.

In the world of politics, exposing the truth on the internet can hurt you.