Remember when we had a PBA that would stand up for its members

Unregistered

Remember when we had a PBA that would stand up for its members

An open letter to Tampa City Council

I left Tampa City Council Chambers yesterday disgusted and angry over what I was forced to listen to in regards to the Civilian Review Board. The council needs to be reminded that they not only have a responsibility to its constituents, but also to the police officers that police this city. The officers that city council criticized for racial profiling by asking for an outside, independent citizen review board, are the same officers that helped reduce crime over the past decade. Just because there may be events happening in other municipalities does not mean our police department is encountering the same issues. Over the past five years, the current members of city council sat back and enjoyed the accolades they received about the crime reduction and publicly praised the previous police administration and never questioned their philosophies and strategies that were being utilized to reduce crime. What changed recently to support this same council to claim, as I heard one city council person state “TPD is out of control”? Did this just occur in May of 2015?

The Tampa PBA does not endorse a Civilian Review Board. TPD already has an internal affairs division along with state statutes to govern how officers are investigated and subpoenaed. I caution council that any violation of this law by council could result in litigation to members of the council. Our members do their job and they do it with courtesy, professionalism, and respect. If council thinks officers are not fired, disciplined, or even arrested, then they do not pay attention to the inner workings of TPD. And if they do not pay attention to the inner workings, then how do they know there is a problem? Yesterday’s council meeting looked more like an argument over who has more power and authority to create a review board. If there is a conflict between city council and the mayor, don’t put our members in the cross hairs of your anger.

I am sick and tired of politicians saying, “We support the police” and when support is needed, they are silent. Every month I watch council present a plaque to TPD’s Officer of the Month. Are they really honoring our officer, or just making a presentation? I propose that our members accept the recognition from the Tampa Police Department and, unless our members are ordered by the Chief to attend city council, we stand united and boycott any sort of recognition from council until they change their tone.

As President of the Tampa PBA, I realize the PBA has to work together with council on issues concerning the police department. But I have an obligation to my members to stand up for them when no one else will. They do a great job. I will not tolerate the rhetoric made by a small section of the public who suggested using violence against our members. Those council members that are leading the charge for this review board, and those that sit in silence, should hope that no harm comes to our officers.

I urge council to work with Mayor Buckhorn and his staff to put together a board that is fair and unbiased.

Vincent Gericitano
    President
    Tampa PBA

Unregistered
    You’re stupid Vinny was an idiot and just as corrupt as Abe. They were 2 peas in a pod.

Unregistered
    Please explain what you mean by Corrupt?

Unregistered
    Vinny G stated to the board and membership that he was seeking re-election to the position of president. On the date of the deadline to declare intent to run, and literally at the hour of the deadline, he informed the board of his alternative plan. He had secretly decided not to file paperwork seeking re-election and told no one... Well... Almost no one. He told only the current members of the exec board at the time. They likewise filed to fill the secretly vacated position of president, senior VP, secretary ( and invited HH to join the cabal as 2nd VP I believe).

They specifically coordinated efforts to mislead membership into believing Vinny was seeking re-election, all while planning succession without the inconvenience of an informed membership and the challengers that would possibly have declared to run.

Unregistered
    He still stood up for us...

Unregistered

New rules for pba pres

Need a retired pro police officer for pba president. They have their pension and owe the city nothing so they can push and say what is right without fear of their job.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Need a retired pro police officer for pba president. They have their pension and owe the city nothing so they can push and say what is right without fear of their job.
    Maybe that might have worked years ago, but not in today's world, piss off the Democratic Mayor and/or the chief and the troops will suffer. Just take calls, do as little as possible so as not to get complained on, repeat for four days, etc. until retirement. Wait until the Citizen's Review Board has more power that will get real interesting especially with them supporting protesting against the police for all of the injustice committed by the Tampa Police. Be safe.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    He still stood up for us...
    Your stupid he was as corrupt as the democrats. But he stood up for us cut the shit loser.

Unregistered
    Sen. Josh Hawley, R-Mo., is planning to submit a bill to Congress on Wednesday authorizing the Justice Department to raise the salaries of state and local police forces all across the country -- except in cities that have chosen to defund law enforcement in the wake of nationwide protests and riots.