Not Stirring The Pot

Unregistered

Not Stirring The Pot

Just out of curiosity, why did the prison dogs track the shooting suspect off Saufley Pines? We should’ve been able to call one out that was closer. Again, not stirring the pot or criticizing. Just curious.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why did the prison dogs track the shooting suspect off Saufley Pines? We should’ve been able to call one out that was closer. Again, not stirring the pot or criticizing. Just curious.
    Maybe there was none available?

Unregistered
    The one that was available at the time had a handler who was engaged in the fight from the get go. They got there and things touched off. Guy fired, guy took a 10-8. K9 officer pursued. Couldn't stop to go back and get the dog. Also, bear in mind that this was not a fast incident. It took a little time. Dogs burn out after a while, especially in the summer heat. Its not uncommon to get a new dog or several to pick up where another leaves off. Im just glad he was caught. Hate to think of him running around put there. If you will fire on cops, there pretty much nothing else you wouldn't do to citizens.

Unregistered
    The one that was available at the time had a handler who was engaged in the fight from the get go. They got there and things touched off. Guy fired, guy took a 10-8. K9 officer pursued. Couldn't stop to go back and get the dog. Also, bear in mind that this was not a fast incident. It took a little time. Dogs burn out after a while, especially in the summer heat. Its not uncommon to get a new dog or several to pick up where another leaves off. Im just glad he was caught. Hate to think of him running around put there. If you will fire on cops, there pretty much nothing else you wouldn't do to citizens.
    Thanks for you’re response. I was a K-9 handler back when. The things that were personal, like an attack on our guys was usually kept in house. I saw MW on the news, and think he’s an excellent puppy pusher. Obviously he’s not gonna track after a running gunfight. Don’t get me wrong, the prison guys are excellent. I know anyone of our handlers would’ve took that call in a hot second. Even if they were called out from home

Unregistered
    Thanks for you’re response. I was a K-9 handler back when. The things that were personal, like an attack on our guys was usually kept in house. I saw MW on the news, and think he’s an excellent puppy pusher. Obviously he’s not gonna track after a running gunfight. Don’t get me wrong, the prison guys are excellent. I know anyone of our handlers would’ve took that call in a hot second. Even if they were called out from home
    MW is an exceptional deputy and one heck of a handler. He is always running hard toward such things.

Unregistered
    The decision to use Shorty and the excellent team of handlers from the prison made perfect sense due to the on scene factors. The factors were, time needed to set up the swat team's positions, securing a perimeter, and most importantly the dense woods. Our k9’s and handlers were ready to go and one did start the track. As you know once our k9’s are on the scent they tend to move quickly. Trying to hold them back to slow them down creates problems for the lack of a better term. The beagles, Shorty for example tracks much slower. This allowed the team a little more time to scan the woods while advancing. Thankfully for all involved everything worked out in the good guys favor.