4 Year College Degree Requirement - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Unregistered
    Sounds like the people that over paid for their degree are pissed that they are making the same as people without on. Again, it does not matter in this line of work. If you decide to obtain a degree good for you if not good for you, who cares.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Sounds like the people that over paid for their degree are pissed that they are making the same as people without on. Again, it does not matter in this line of work. If you decide to obtain a degree good for you if not good for you, who cares.
    I did not overpay for education. I only paid 25% of the cost of my CJ degrees and my employer (and other scholarships) paid for the remaining 75%. The degrees also led to a post-retirement full-time job with a wonderful income, health benefits, a 401k (annual max) and a Roth (also annual max). While pursuing the degrees (before retirement and while still active-duty), I had no idea that those CJ degrees would later lead to a post-retirement full-time job. My only caveat is that for you, you only need a Bachelors degree, unless you want to become a collegiate-level adjunct instructor or a full-time professor. Your mileage may vary. While you are active-duty, let your CJ employer pay for as much of your CJ degree as possible!

Unregistered
    I came to this agency without a degree; however, I used the college grant to my advantage and obtained my degree within a few years. If you can spare the time then you should take advantage of the program while it's still around. I will be leaving with medical benefits, and small pension and college education with no school loans to worry about. Most people don't go back because of money and time. Most agency's don't offer this education program anymore. Take advantage while you can and squeeze every nickel and dime out of this place while you can. Everyone is here to get a piece of the pie make sure you get you are large slice of the pie as well.

Unregistered
    Whoever is saying degrees should be required, did you go to college? Because if you did and you work in this line of work, you would know it means absolutely nothing. You might write slightly better. But every good LEO knows common sense is what it takes, not making sure you can write a 10 page report on some stupid topic the night before it’s due. I work with someone that didn’t finish college and he might be the smartest and best LEO in the agency. So your argument is stupid.
    You gain common sense dealing with Professors in college. Sorry you couldn't get a degree

Unregistered
    Says the person that doesn't have one!

Unregistered
    You gain common sense dealing with Professors in college. Sorry you couldn't get a degree
    Common sense comes from living life. The learning process is accelerated with a good father or mother who acts as a mentor. It can be further accelerated in adulthood by a mentor-in-the-business. A Bachelors degree will not provide common sense, but conversely, I would not want to leave home without it.

If your CJ employer will pay for your degree, then why not partake in a regionally accredited online program? For example, if you already have your AA degree, then you can finish your Bachelors degree 100% at FGCU:
    https://www.fgcu.edu/cas/departments/js/cjbs/

Unregistered
    Common sense comes from living life. The learning process is accelerated with a good father or mother who acts as a mentor. It can be further accelerated in adulthood by a mentor-in-the-business. A Bachelors degree will not provide common sense, but conversely, I would not want to leave home without it.

If your CJ employer will pay for your degree, then why not partake in a regionally accredited online program? For example, if you already have your AA degree, then you can finish your Bachelors degree 100% at FGCU:
    https://www.fgcu.edu/cas/departments/js/cjbs/
    Dogs Before Deputies, that’s why.

Unregistered
    Dogs Before Deputies, that’s why.
    The fear of senior administrators can easily outweigh the fear of those you meet in the street in the jail. That's because misguided senior administrators can be career enders for deputies, while street-level encounters are not career enders for deputies.

Unregistered
    Here is a conservative retirement-pay comparison between a teacher with a Bachelors degree and a Deputy with 0 college credits:

Teacher w/Bachelors degree
    60k salary at the end of 30 years
    28k retirement pay

Deputy w/0 college credits
    60k salary at the end of 30 years
    45k retirement pay
    Seems fair sense all we do is complain and look for easy targets!

Unregistered
    Hey mom, 2+2= 4, what does Carmine + Jim equal, well son/daughter it equals Jim spelling the alphabet with his butt hole stating I can win my child. An educated response would be, every Republican Club, President George and Laura Bush, President Trump, Sean Hannity, Senator Scott, Governor Ron DeSantis, every politician in Lee County and every sensible Republican states, “ We support and back Sheriff Carmine Marceno”. How can a fat retired Captain ever dispute this, oh that’s right she likes women Jim more than little Jim? 🌈

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast