Sheriff Marceno cleared by Ethics Commission

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Unregistered

Sheriff Marceno cleared by Ethics Commission

Rod... GO AWAY!

NEWS-PRESS

Investigators from the Florida Commission on Ethics have dismissed a complaint filed against Lee County Sheriff Carmine Marceno, according to the former sheriff that filed it.

Rod Shoap had filed the complaint accusing Marceno of misusing his position to enter into a sexual relationship with a crime victim nearly a year ago after the Florida Department of Law Enforcement declined to open an investigation due to a lack of "criminal predicate."

Shoap, who lives in Tennessee, told The News-Press that he attended a closed-session meeting Friday morning in Tallahassee and investigators claimed Marceno met with the woman after the case was closed, a statement he said could be disproved by two text messages where Marceno promised to help her.

He said that based on the evidence he collected, it should have been a straightforward case for investigators to prove.

"I'm totally in shock," Shoap said. "I've been in criminal investigations for 30 years and there were some things here that I've never seen before."

Shoap said he was particularly startled by the ethics commission investigator discussing the case with Marceno's attorney before the hearing began.

Marceno expressed his satisfaction with the commission's findings and reiterated his belief that the complaint was politically driven in a statement to The News-Press.

“I’m gratified, but not surprised that I have been completely exonerated and that these foolish, politically motivated accusations have been proven false," Marceno said. "Unfair attacks come with my job, but they have not, and will not distract me from my primary focus, the safety and security of the residents of Lee County”.

The commission is an independent body made up of nine members who examine complaints alleging breach of the public trust by public officers and employees.

More:FDLE: Investigation of Lee Sheriff Carmine Marceno concluded, no evidence found for further probe

Once a determination has been made about legal sufficiency, the commission undertakes a preliminary investigation and determines if there is probable cause to believe an ethics violation occurred. If the commission finds probable cause, it determines whether a violation occurred or if the commission should recommend a penalty.

Shoap was allowed to attend the closed-session meeting because of his role as the complainant. He said he was told the investigation will become public record next week.

Unregistered

🐽 shoap

In shock again just like his two ass whippings by Mike Scott! Face it 🐽 shoap your a loser just like shrek and wet brain! You three deserve each other.

Unregistered
    Nice try Mr. Shoap! Maybe you should put all that energy into Jim’s campaign and give him a hand. He is losing by a large margin!!

Carmine Marceno Sheriff 2020!

Unregistered
    Shoap is a joke. He deserves a duck for his actions, not an Eagle. What a nerd!!!

Unregistered

Unregistered

You’re back again. Weird blogger from another state. Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post