Is this still justified?

Unregistered

Is this still justified?

Many years ago, before this department lost its balls & didn’t hire the puzzies that we do now, we were trained the right way in DT & use of force. One of those scenarios was justifiably shooting an unarmed person if they were twice our size. Specifically, they would compare a 5’ woman having to fight a 6’4” muscular subject. The instructors would say this was justified. Is this still the case or will we be surprised when this happens? Department needs to address this

Unregistered
    If you were hired during that time period, and were trained that way, you know the answer. And all of our resistance and force must be seen through the force continuum. You make the decisions to act based on the apparent physical ability of the subject and your own. That hasn’t changed within our policy. What we can’t control is if the SAO decides to indict you. It’s a risk we all still take even when acting within training and policy. If it’s not a risk you want to take anymore, then it’s time to find another career path. It’s not worth it anymore to some people.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Many years ago, before this department lost its balls & didn’t hire the puzzies that we do now, we were trained the right way in DT & use of force. One of those scenarios was justifiably shooting an unarmed person if they were twice our size. Specifically, they would compare a 5’ woman having to fight a 6’4” muscular subject. The instructors would say this was justified. Is this still the case or will we be surprised when this happens? Department needs to address this
    In 1988 Charles Streets, a large, powerful man, disarmed and killed Officers A Boles and David Strzalkowski with their own firearms.* A different scenario, not that long ago, a Kendall Officer answering a violent domestic violence call shot and killed an unarmed man at 89 Avenue, just south of miller. *The decedent was a bipolar, weightlifter, and steroid user named Cesar. Cesar erred in approaching the officer in a menacing manner, ignoring the officer's warning, which in the officer's mind created a well-founded belief that his life was in imminent danger. *The SAO did not prosecute as the dynamics of that confrontation, led to their prosecutorial conclusion that such use of deadly force was legal.* Conversely, sadly, in the early 1980s, an offender disarmed Bobby Zore and murdered him, with his firearm. *

The circumstances in each case are always different; what remains constant is the threat the officer senses from the offender's behavior. *If you allow any person to breach your safety zone (your arm's length), the possibility is there that he or she could disarm and kill you with your firearm, or gravely wound you with an edge or piercing weapon. *Airport District Motor Officer Mario Gutierrez, thank God, is a prime example. * It can happen to any officer on any given call for service or traffic stop, on any day, hour, and or minute. *

What separates the living from the fallen is mindset.* Moral? *Do not allow anyone to enter your safety zone. *And yes, I know, what about when wrestling a subject to subdue and handcuff the offender? I hope you have a back up that will not hesitate to assist you,* But now that defacto sheriff Carlos Gimenez barred the LVNR, use the taser, and should it failed, as it has on too many occasions, you or your partner must be willing to discharge your pistols before the offender disarms you or both and kills both of you with it.* That said, arrest NO ONE!

Advice:* If you can retire go now.* If you cannot, find another job.* If you decide to stay regardless, abandon all hope, do as little as possible, and try to survive to 25.*

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Am I saying myself? Great DT instructors R. Gentry and Jesse Norman. My academy was 26 years ago

Unregistered
    Sadly I think you would be arrested if this happened today. I doubt our command staff & SAO would back you. They should touch on this topic