Lee vs Florida

Thread: Lee vs Florida

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Unregistered

Lee vs Florida

Lot of talk about re-naming Lee Square to Florida Square. Also chatter about taking down the Confederate statue there. I'm not in favor of this personally. We are the city of five flags. The confederacy was one of the flags that ruled the land at one point here. I can understand the opposition, but my issue is where does it end? Should we pull british statues since they once ruled our nation and state? They oppressed the whole place to the point we went to war with them twice. Should we take offense to their statues? What about the Spanish statues? Should we tear them down? They oppressed a great many and took land from the native Americans. Are wo so offended that we should take them down? No. Though they had their run, we were victorious over these. We cant just erase history. It is fact! These were nations that held the town at one point. Dont erase history in the name of progress. It is our history.

The War Dead
    Originally "Lee Square" was named "Florida Square". The name change occurred in 1887. The monument in that squares is in honor of the dead not as a monument to any single person. This monument to the war dead is no different than what is located at Veterans Memorial Park.

The Vietnam war was unpopular, should we be demanding that the memorial to those killed in action also be removed? Where does it stop. Neither of the monuments have caused any harm to anyone.

Society would be better off spending money to tear down crack houses versus monuments. JMHO.....

Unregistered
    I agree. We cant spend all of our time being offended about every little thing. I take offense to dopers and peddlers who dont contribute anything positive and serve only to poison their community with dope. Why cant we put the screws to these turds more? Something that matters to us all now in real time.

Unregistered
    Monument honoring enemy combatants from a treasonous state that attacked the United States in hopes of retaining the right to make their own decision about owning people.

Yeah, go to bat for that.

Tell you what. Let's get a statue of Himmler up there. He was a piece of shit that lost a war we were in. How bout Ho Chi Minh square? That's got a ring to it.

Unregistered
    Lighten up Francis.

Unregistered
    Well, of Vietnam or Germany had ever held the territory for a period of time, then that would be an idea. However, they didnt. Guys like Cervantes and Desoto and others were nothing but tyrants. We have all sorts of stuff up for them and no one pitches a fit. They are part of our local history. They did at one point rule the roost. Not saying they were great fellas. Our history is part of who we are, why we are, how we got here. Its important. We cant go being selective about history. Easy little snowflake. Not everything is a 'trigger.'