New candidate for Sheriff - Page 7
Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    If you really want to know go file a public records request for the IA file for all three of them. It's all public records, don't complain when there is an option to get the information that you seem to be so nosey about.
    Yea that worked great for the Lt who wanted to see the IA involving a reinstated director. Option to do a public records request? Sure. Career builder?.... evaluating

Unregistered
    Spike-

Can you address your view on command staff? You’ve said that you would not bring in outsiders and also that the command staff has grown too large. How would you structure your Executive staff and how would you select the individuals in these roles? Many will agree that the sheriff has the best of intentions but that the breakdown of communication between him and the troops has caused discord. The sheriff I believe has realized (But not corrected) this- evident that the proposal process now goes to him directly circumventing the chain of command immediately under him. If elected how would you avoid this- while potentially keeping a portion of the current command staff.

Unregistered
    Yea that worked great for the Lt who wanted to see the IA involving a reinstated director. Option to do a public records request? Sure. Career builder?.... evaluating
    Friend from outside the agency? Family someone not connected to you or the agency can make the request....

Unregistered

Take a knee

Spike, given the current climate, would you take a knee if asked to by the community?

Unregistered

Oh Ed.

Edward McDun-huh....sit down. This isn’t your ballpark anymore. You were a news guy, wanna be tough guy, ran your foul mouth to citizens in uniform before you “retired”.

You became a deputy because someone *cough* gave you a free pass in the academy and hired you because of *cough* “connections”.

Shut up.

Signed.

Not signing my name. Go be mad about that some more.

Ed McDonough

Retired Deputy Sheriff

Since you did not sign your name, I do not know who you are. But the easiest way to find out about someone is to ask people who have worked with them. There are still a few left at the SCSO. See what they say.
    I wasn't the greatest deputy who ever worked at the SCSO but I do not believe I was the worst either.
    During my tenure, I made over 400 arrests and was decorated twice by Sheriff Eslinger. The first award was the Sheriff's Office Commendation for disarming a suspect armed with two knives and a 2 by 4. The second commendation was the Sheriff'Office Lifesaving Award for preventing a woman from committing suicide by slashing herself with a razor while locked inside her car.
    As for the Academy, I started at the Academy when I was 49 years old which is a time when most LEO's are ending their careers not starting them. Nobody gave me a free pass since I had to meet the same standards as everyone else in the class...most of whom were young enough to be my son or daughter. When I graduated, I had already turned 50. I retired when I was 62 years old which I believe made me one of the oldest active duty deputies in the SCSO. I know I was the oldest deputy still working on the road at that time.
    So if you think I had it easy, you are wrong but like I said...ask some of the people who worked with me. Let them be the judge.

Spike Hopkins
    Spike-

Can you address your view on command staff? You’ve said that you would not bring in outsiders and also that the command staff has grown too large. How would you structure your Executive staff and how would you select the individuals in these roles? Many will agree that the sheriff has the best of intentions but that the breakdown of communication between him and the troops has caused discord. The sheriff I believe has realized (But not corrected) this- evident that the proposal process now goes to him directly circumventing the chain of command immediately under him. If elected how would you avoid this- while potentially keeping a portion of the current command staff.
    I'm concerned about the 28 members of the command staff being too top heavy. I want to sit down with all divisions of the agency and brain storm how we can stream line this. My plan is not to come in and clean house. I want to sit down with each person, captain or civilian equivalent and above and have them explain their experience with the agency, what they have done and how they are a leader. I'm sure some people will retire upon my win. There are staff members who have a lot of experience and history with the agency. I want to keep the members who will help me move forward with making SCSO #1 again. I want anonymous peer reviews about the staff. The senior members of the agency know who the leaders are and who is never in the office collecting a paycheck. (This will not be a popularity contest)

Most importantly, like any good leader should do is talk to your subordinates and let them know what your expectations are. That way there is no misunderstanding. I also want open, two way, communication. One example is if they're is a policy change. Either I or a staff member will put out an e-mail explaining why the policy was changed. I always hated when I asked a supervisor why we did something a certain way they would tell me to not ask questions or I don't know. I especially hated hearing about new policies on the Orlando Sentinel.

I plan on meeting face to face with every employee in every unit and ask what we can do to make the agency better. This will be done without other staff member or lieutenants and above. (or civilian equivalent) I want this to be an open, candid conversation. If I like the idea and I approve it, I will notify my staff of this. You're not the first to tell me there is a communication gap between the sheriff, staff and troops. I don't know why there is a gap now. The bottom line is the sheriff tells you he's going to do something but hes not relaying this. It's a shame. I've known Dennis professionally and was happy when he became sheriff. I'm disappointed with his leadership plan running people off. I know you can't make everyone happy but it would kill me to know a majority of my employees are not happy with me. I will not tolerate a staff member going against my leadership and not honoring my decisions. I do what staff members who are not afraid to tell me an idea is not good, when discussing policy or agency issues. I don't want "yes" men or women.

As your sheriff, I promise not to get involved with projects outside the agency. SCSO will get a full time sheriff who only cares about keeping Seminole safe and leading the employees. My leading also means me being part of the team.

I know you have a group email for ideas to the sheriff. If a memo is sent to me via inter-office memo, with an idea or issue, I want a cover sheet for comments and signed by the chain-of-command. ALL memos sent to me will be delivered to me. You WILL receive a response to your memo. You mention some staff members do not adhere to the sheriff's decision. One issue is he has known these staff members for many years, working together and probably a friendship. I believe this keeps him from "getting onto" his staff and calling them out. My benefit is I have no real relationship with the staff. If they are not embracing my leadership values, then my connection is merely business and I can properly address the issue.

I want to implement leadership training during agency training. ALL members will attend. These are our future leaders and I want them to have this foundation. This is for the sworn, detention deputies and all civilian employees.

There is no doubt there is so much experience your staff members have. If they're on board, and show this, they will have no worries. There are some who will not live up to my expectations and I'll deal with that accordingly.

Lastly, I don't believe civilians should supervise sworn personnel. This does not mean I will get rid of them. They too have experience and can still bring a lot to the SCSO. I will find a place for them to continue being part of the BIG GREEN MACHINE in an position they can bring the most benefit to the agency.

Thanks for such a great question.

For all of you who read this, thank you for doing a thankless job!

Spike

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Hopkins View Post
    I'm concerned about the 28 members of the command staff being too top heavy. I want to sit down with all divisions of the agency and brain storm how we can stream line this. My plan is not to come in and clean house. I want to sit down with each person, captain or civilian equivalent and above and have them explain their experience with the agency, what they have done and how they are a leader. I'm sure some people will retire upon my win. There are staff members who have a lot of experience and history with the agency. I want to keep the members who will help me move forward with making SCSO #1 again. I want anonymous peer reviews about the staff. The senior members of the agency know who the leaders are and who is never in the office collecting a paycheck. (This will not be a popularity contest)

Most importantly, like any good leader should do is talk to your subordinates and let them know what your expectations are. That way there is no misunderstanding. I also want open, two way, communication. One example is if they're is a policy change. Either I or a staff member will put out an e-mail explaining why the policy was changed. I always hated when I asked a supervisor why we did something a certain way they would tell me to not ask questions or I don't know. I especially hated hearing about new policies on the Orlando Sentinel.

I plan on meeting face to face with every employee in every unit and ask what we can do to make the agency better. This will be done without other staff member or lieutenants and above. (or civilian equivalent) I want this to be an open, candid conversation. If I like the idea and I approve it, I will notify my staff of this. You're not the first to tell me there is a communication gap between the sheriff, staff and troops. I don't know why there is a gap now. The bottom line is the sheriff tells you he's going to do something but hes not relaying this. It's a shame. I've known Dennis professionally and was happy when he became sheriff. I'm disappointed with his leadership plan running people off. I know you can't make everyone happy but it would kill me to know a majority of my employees are not happy with me. I will not tolerate a staff member going against my leadership and not honoring my decisions. I do what staff members who are not afraid to tell me an idea is not good, when discussing policy or agency issues. I don't want "yes" men or women.

As your sheriff, I promise not to get involved with projects outside the agency. SCSO will get a full time sheriff who only cares about keeping Seminole safe and leading the employees. My leading also means me being part of the team.

I know you have a group email for ideas to the sheriff. If a memo is sent to me via inter-office memo, with an idea or issue, I want a cover sheet for comments and signed by the chain-of-command. ALL memos sent to me will be delivered to me. You WILL receive a response to your memo. You mention some staff members do not adhere to the sheriff's decision. One issue is he has known these staff members for many years, working together and probably a friendship. I believe this keeps him from "getting onto" his staff and calling them out. My benefit is I have no real relationship with the staff. If they are not embracing my leadership values, then my connection is merely business and I can properly address the issue.

I want to implement leadership training during agency training. ALL members will attend. These are our future leaders and I want them to have this foundation. This is for the sworn, detention deputies and all civilian employees.

There is no doubt there is so much experience your staff members have. If they're on board, and show this, they will have no worries. There are some who will not live up to my expectations and I'll deal with that accordingly.

Lastly, I don't believe civilians should supervise sworn personnel. This does not mean I will get rid of them. They too have experience and can still bring a lot to the SCSO. I will find a place for them to continue being part of the BIG GREEN MACHINE in an position they can bring the most benefit to the agency.

Thanks for such a great question.

For all of you who read this, thank you for doing a thankless job!

Spike
    Spike I noticed on your website you called Sheriff Lemma out for hiring back "double dippers." I couldn't help but think wouldn't you be a "double dipper" if you come back to work?

Unregistered

Inspiration

All I know is after I’ve read these recent posts and developments I’ve been more inspired and more happier to come to work than I have ever been. It pains me to say that but I’m sick of all the back stabbing, “it’s out of my pay grade”, and “it’s what the sheriff wants” responses. We’ve seen the lack of leadership and accountability and non transparency. We’ve only begun to see changes due to the overwhelming responses on the forum. We’ve been blatantly told that he doesn’t have time for us because has so many other things he needs to do.....all the while they benefit him and drive us into the ground. If we are the greatest resource then why don’t I feel like that? Why do I feel like I’m not valued and that I’m only a number. When things are called out here, nobody can defend the state of our agency. They result into attacking a political views or other childish, uneducated and quite obviously.....scared tactics.

If anything Spike, thanks for making my days better and bringing about some positive change here. I read once that inspiration is a great leadership trait. You’ve been more direct, inspiring and open than anything I’ve ever seen.

Spike Hopkins
    Thanks. Your message means the world to me. I can only hope my entrance into this race creates a positive for the SCSO. Though I hope and pray to be your sheriff, I hope these positive changes don't stop if I am not successful.

Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast