Moving from another state to FHP.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unregistered

Moving from another state to FHP.

Hello,

I have been reading this forum for quite some time, so i figured I would just create my own with some questions..

I get that the general consensus is that the FHP is not a very good department and you're not going to make a lot of money. However, the department I work for is not either every shift has about 50-100 calls stacked each day.. Plus I live in the north, and most of my family are now in Florida.

I noticed there is a expedited academy for those that have experience, I have currently 5 years.

Few questions;

1. Do troopers work 12 hour shifts?
    2. Are you allowed to be pro-active?
    3. The starting pay is NOT that bad, but I assume most raises only come every few years? instead of steps, or yearly.
    4. Is there a retirement plan? how many years?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hello,

I have been reading this forum for quite some time, so i figured I would just create my own with some questions..

I get that the general consensus is that the FHP is not a very good department and you're not going to make a lot of money. However, the department I work for is not either every shift has about 50-100 calls stacked each day.. Plus I live in the north, and most of my family are now in Florida.

I noticed there is a expedited academy for those that have experience, I have currently 5 years.

Few questions;

1. Do troopers work 12 hour shifts?
    2. Are you allowed to be pro-active?
    3. The starting pay is NOT that bad, but I assume most raises only come every few years? instead of steps, or yearly.
    4. Is there a retirement plan? how many years?
    1- it depends on the district. Some work 8 hour shifts, some 10 and others 12.

2- whether or not you’ll have time to be pro active depends on what area you work. Some districts (Miami, Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville) you’ll go from call to call all day long. If you want to play it safe, go to the turnpike (troop k). They’re most laid back.

3- correct. Long story short it usually is 3% every couple of years. There are tons of ways to supplement the crap pay. Plenty of private off duty employment as well as state sponsored employment (DL offices, SOAR which is basically just come out and work calls at your time and a half pay rate, etc)

4- yes. FRS. Florida retirement system. Check out their website but I think it’s 25 years now

5- watch what you read here. Many disgruntled people including myself. It’s not a bad place to work as long as you know the pay isn’t great. On the bright side we have great equipment, a lot of freedom and usually no micromanaging. Actually, that last part will depend on your district. Overall though it’s not bad.

Unregistered
    1- it depends on the district. Some work 8 hour shifts, some 10 and others 12.

2- whether or not you’ll have time to be pro active depends on what area you work. Some districts (Miami, Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville) you’ll go from call to call all day long. If you want to play it safe, go to the turnpike (troop k). They’re most laid back.

3- correct. Long story short it usually is 3% every couple of years. There are tons of ways to supplement the crap pay. Plenty of private off duty employment as well as state sponsored employment (DL offices, SOAR which is basically just come out and work calls at your time and a half pay rate, etc)

4- yes. FRS. Florida retirement system. Check out their website but I think it’s 25 years now

5- watch what you read here. Many disgruntled people including myself. It’s not a bad place to work as long as you know the pay isn’t great. On the bright side we have great equipment, a lot of freedom and usually no micromanaging. Actually, that last part will depend on your district. Overall though it’s not bad.
    Thank you for your response!

How are they in deciding what Troop you go to? I understand it's probably where they need the most people at the current time, but how soon would you be able to choose a new location?

Unregistered
    Thank you for your response!

How are they in deciding what Troop you go to? I understand it's probably where they need the most people at the current time, but how soon would you be able to choose a new location?
    You can request a certain Troop on your wishlist. Troop H- Tallahassee and Troop A Panama City are good places to work. However, neither have a lot of off duty jobs.
    Orlando and Tampa are very busy, but the off duty jobs are plentiful.

Unregistered
    You can request a certain Troop on your wishlist. Troop H- Tallahassee and Troop A Panama City are good places to work. However, neither have a lot of off duty jobs.
    Orlando and Tampa are very busy, but the off duty jobs are plentiful.
    Awesome thank you for the information again. Definitely would be requesting a interstate troop.

Unregistered
    Please reconsider coming to Florida. No one's life has improved due to moving to Florida. If someone has seen an improvement I assure you its despite moving here not as a result of moving here. Please reevaluate your decision for your own sake.

Unregistered
    Please reconsider coming to Florida. No one's life has improved due to moving to Florida. If someone has seen an improvement I assure you its despite moving here not as a result of moving here. Please reevaluate your decision for your own sake.
    Why is that? I understand every state has their up/downs especially in police work. However, in my case my family has nothing but good things to say. It's gotta be better then New Jersey or Philadelphia.

Unregistered
    Why is that? I understand every state has their up/downs especially in police work. However, in my case my family has nothing but good things to say. It's gotta be better then New Jersey or Philadelphia.
    You pretty much get the most aweful people from New England and the Midwest. Genuinely good people are hard to come by. The weather is only bearable a few weeks out of the year. No mountains just mosquito swamp and skin cancer beach. You have equal amounts ghetto hood trash and country trailer trash. Every one complains about everything law enforcement does yet they cant complete even the most basic of tasks without calling police. The wages are garbage unless you live in the latin America extension known as Miami if you know Spanish I guess it's cool. I get New England sucks but you're going from one dumpster to another.

Unregistered
    You pretty much get the most aweful people from New England and the Midwest. Genuinely good people are hard to come by. The weather is only bearable a few weeks out of the year. No mountains just mosquito swamp and skin cancer beach. You have equal amounts ghetto hood trash and country trailer trash. Every one complains about everything law enforcement does yet they cant complete even the most basic of tasks without calling police. The wages are garbage unless you live in the latin America extension known as Miami if you know Spanish I guess it's cool. I get New England sucks but you're going from one dumpster to another.
    That's really unfortunate to hear that. However, I don't think dealing with awful people is a huge deterrent. Let's be honest, they are everywhere and anywhere. I don't think you're going to really encounter that much on the highways, but then again I don't work for the FHP yet so I'm not sure. I like i mentioned prior would be more interested in doing the interstate portion of the FHP. I understand that most people also would like to do that, so the likely hood of doing it is probably small.

Plus, isn't there like unlimited OT for the most part, that could supplement the starting pay, which in my opinion isn't too bad. $41k while on probation and after that its like 46K plus? That's pretty normal for some state police.

Unregistered
    That's really unfortunate to hear that. However, I don't think dealing with awful people is a huge deterrent. Let's be honest, they are everywhere and anywhere. I don't think you're going to really encounter that much on the highways, but then again I don't work for the FHP yet so I'm not sure. I like i mentioned prior would be more interested in doing the interstate portion of the FHP. I understand that most people also would like to do that, so the likely hood of doing it is probably small.

Plus, isn't there like unlimited OT for the most part, that could supplement the starting pay, which in my opinion isn't too bad. $41k while on probation and after that its like 46K plus? That's pretty normal for some state police.
    You will deal with all of the same idiots as local LE. FHP does not have the fortitude to tell people no so alot of the calls you are going to go to dont actually require LE at all. We have specific people for expressway but interstate is typically covered by zone units. Yeah the OT and off duty is there my actual take home hovers around 100k sometimes more sometimes less because I'm near one of the 4 major cities. If I wasn't so deep in I would be gone in a heartbeat though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast