Out of State Applicant - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    this place isn't a dumpster but...i mean tampa is literally right across the bridge and they love experienced officers...and it's a better place to work...you are looking into them too right? i just want to understand that you are not all in on st pete, or is this where you have your heart set?

i have a hard time talking someone out of coming here if their heart is set to work here because that's not for me to decide...if you are truly just thinking about it, i'm going to give you the truth. at least from my perspective.
    No, I do not have my heart set on St. Pete. To be honest, I never even heard of this department until I stumbled upon the hiring post, with the incentive. I just really want to join most of my family down there and figured they give you the Florida equivalency program and most places I spoke to require you to obtain that first. Call me foolish, or looking for a "cheap ticket out" if you must.

I also have been looking into the Florida Highway Patrol. I have not looked into the Tampa, or really any other department besides those two listed. The schedule I found out does kinda of suck, 4 on 3 off and switch every 3 months, that's rough.

Again, I appreciate your response. Any idea why, Tampa is such much better even though its right next door?

Unregistered
    OK. I am obviously not as educated as you, but if I could do it all over again, my choices would be

FHP

Wackenhut

SPPD

Broward

You probably know better than me though

Unregistered
    OK. I am obviously not as educated as you, but if I could do it all over again, my choices would be

FHP

Wackenhut

SPPD

Broward

You probably know better than me though
    In order of pay:

Wackenhut - minimum wage

FHP - 44k annually with no guaranteed annual raises

SPPD - decent (although it's never enough)

Broward - rankless deputies are retiring with 8k per month (retirement pay)

Unregistered
    See you in Broward.

Say hi to Blue Speedo Drug Dealer Bi Polar Sheriff.
    Hear he's great to work for. LOL

Unregistered
    I wouldn't look anywhere else. Some places pay better, sure but they won't treat you as well as they do here. I have been here a long time and wouldn't go anywhere else. The pay is getting better and they treat you like family here. It's not like those other places where you have to worry about politics, the sheriff being re-elected or someone stabbing you in the back. You just do your work and back each other up and go home every morning. If you have a concern, or have input as to how something could run smoother, you just go chat with the Lt or Major, they always encourage your ideas or help you with any LEO issues that come up. They want you to do proactive policing and always encourage you to grow professionally. Our command staff are definitely role models and a wealth of wisdom, experience and encouragement. Our chief is second to none. In fact, he began having cookouts for us at least once a month and he's talking about installing a pool and sauna so we can relax before or after our shift. I love to work here, I love the proactive policing. I do a bit of traffic, a bunch of calls, then when it slows down I do some paperwork and start looking for the good stuff. I do my share of 208 too. There's so much, you can*pretty much just chose something good m ost of the time. I like 208, I bought a new house and a used boat so the money helped. *LOL. *If I could do it all over again, the only thing I would to different is I would have come here sooner and not been at the SO for 4 years. Too political. This place is kind of like the hardware store from "Happy Days". * * *Monday Tuesday HAPPY DAYS !!! * * Tuesday Wednesday HAPPY DAYS !!!!
    Good luck, hope to see you soon, maybe I'll be your FTO! * How cool would that be?

Unregistered
    haha pure gold^

Unregistered
    I wouldn't look anywhere else. Some places pay better, sure but they won't treat you as well as they do here. I have been here a long time and wouldn't go anywhere else. The pay is getting better and they treat you like family here. It's not like those other places where you have to worry about politics, the sheriff being re-elected or someone stabbing you in the back. You just do your work and back each other up and go home every morning. If you have a concern, or have input as to how something could run smoother, you just go chat with the Lt or Major, they always encourage your ideas or help you with any LEO issues that come up. They want you to do proactive policing and always encourage you to grow professionally. Our command staff are definitely role models and a wealth of wisdom, experience and encouragement. Our chief is second to none. In fact, he began having cookouts for us at least once a month and he's talking about installing a pool and sauna so we can relax before or after our shift. I love to work here, I love the proactive policing. I do a bit of traffic, a bunch of calls, then when it slows down I do some paperwork and start looking for the good stuff. I do my share of 208 too. There's so much, you can*pretty much just chose something good m ost of the time. I like 208, I bought a new house and a used boat so the money helped. *LOL. *If I could do it all over again, the only thing I would to different is I would have come here sooner and not been at the SO for 4 years. Too political. This place is kind of like the hardware store from "Happy Days". * * *Monday Tuesday HAPPY DAYS !!! * * Tuesday Wednesday HAPPY DAYS !!!!
    Good luck, hope to see you soon, maybe I'll be your FTO! * How cool would that be?

Do you enjoy the work schedule? I read online something about you work Su-M-T-W off T-F-Sa. Then you switch some months later and do T-F-Sa-Sun off M-T-W. Kind of seems like would NEVER been off on a Sunday, ever unless requested.

Does it work with family life?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12