Out of State Applicant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unregistered

Out of State Applicant

Hello,

I'm an out of state applicant. I got a bunch of information on this department but I wanted to get some information from people who can answer non "recruiter" questions. I also understand that COVID-19 may have changed a lot of the work here.

Are you able to be pro-active in this department? Are officers in vehicles for patrol or do you have to utilize foot patrol more often then not?

How is morale? I get it that most older officers are salty, that's anywhere. But for the newer generation of officers, are officers generally happy? The shifts seem pretty decent in terms of 4 on 3 off.

Any information anyone can offer would be appertained.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Are you able to be pro-active in this department? Are officers in vehicles for patrol or do you have to utilize foot patrol more often then not?

How is morale? I get it that most older officers are salty, that's anywhere. But for the newer generation of officers, are officers generally happy? The shifts seem pretty decent in terms of 4 on 3 off.

Any information anyone can offer would be appertained.
    You can be proactive. It is busy though. Officers downtown do more "foot" and bike patrols, and that is a "specialized" unit. We are in vehicles.

Morale sucks, not gonna lie. Individual squads and cliques appear to be happy here and there (depending on who's in charge)...but remember, it isn't just older officers that are salty...this entire profession is moving in a direction that feels more like a customer service rep with a gun. That makes a lot of people salty, especially when crime is winning.

Poor leadership, and the mayor is in it for himself. You are just a fool if this is your main choice. Check Tampa, Pinellas, and some of the ones further south like Sarasota PD...general consensus is that folks are happier at those places. good luck.

Unregistered
    Do you know how many people work per shift? I understand this city is pretty big although not the biggest its more then I am used to. Being busy is not an issue for me, we tend to have 50 - 100 calls stacked starting each shift. Kinda.. get to it when you can type thing. However, I would like the opportunity to be pro-active and maybe... "make a difference"?

The pay is a great incentive, plus the bonus too. However, it begs the question if the pay is that high, what is the cost of living like? Are apartments like $3,000 a month to even live within city limits?

Thanks again.

Unregistered
    squad sizes will vary, but typically like 9 people per squad...numbers can feel low at times so the safety is questionable at times. i know that sounds like i'm hating but it's true...patrol numbers are bad so expect to be working...a lot.

if you are used to a high call volume, which you appear to be - you can probably handle it here. pay is not bad but this is not a middle class city in my opinion. there are nicer places to live that are within limits to qualify for a take home vehicle

Unregistered
    squad sizes will vary, but typically like 9 people per squad...numbers can feel low at times so the safety is questionable at times. i know that sounds like i'm hating but it's true...patrol numbers are bad so expect to be working...a lot.

if you are used to a high call volume, which you appear to be - you can probably handle it here. pay is not bad but this is not a middle class city in my opinion. there are nicer places to live that are within limits to qualify for a take home vehicle
    Thanks for your response.

Yeah I did some research and living within the city limits doesn't appear to be too expensive. I did not know there was a take home vehicle perk that's also pretty nice.

As I said before I am no stranger to working long, and hard I just wanna make sure that this is a good move. So long as I am able to work, and work hard without being criticized should be a good move.

Unregistered
    Oh, you'll be criticized. Download the thickest skin you can afford

Unregistered
    i agree...

really really do your research on this city dude...i think you have been given either no or very little information on the history of this place and its current state...

Unregistered

Detroit with palm trees

Unregistered
    i agree...

really really do your research on this city dude...i think you have been given either no or very little information on the history of this place and its current state...

I understand that this city is a sanctuary city, I work in a sanctuary state so not really much a difference there. I also understand that policing is definitely not what it used to be however most people that complain are the ones that stick their noses in stuff they shouldn't. A lot of people in my current PD complain A LOT, and its honestly not that bad. Just do your job, do it effectively and go home. So long as you keep your head down, and are proactive you're good. I assume this is not what this city is like?

I can only assume that morale is pretty bad?

Unregistered
    I understand that this city is a sanctuary city, I work in a sanctuary state so not really much a difference there. I also understand that policing is definitely not what it used to be however most people that complain are the ones that stick their noses in stuff they shouldn't. A lot of people in my current PD complain A LOT, and its honestly not that bad. Just do your job, do it effectively and go home. So long as you keep your head down, and are proactive you're good. I assume this is not what this city is like?

I can only assume that morale is pretty bad?
    this place isn't a dumpster but...i mean tampa is literally right across the bridge and they love experienced officers...and it's a better place to work...you are looking into them too right? i just want to understand that you are not all in on st pete, or is this where you have your heart set?

i have a hard time talking someone out of coming here if their heart is set to work here because that's not for me to decide...if you are truly just thinking about it, i'm going to give you the truth. at least from my perspective.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast