Yes, the PBA representatives are lying to you

Unregistered

Angry Yes, the PBA representatives are lying to you

Yes, Detective Pollice (and everyone else), our LPD lieutenants are indeed plotting to accept the meager package being offered to them by the City. Can you really blame them? We might as well do the same, if we can even still get it. But if/when anyone (PBA representatives or anyone else) tells us otherwise, they are lying. Surprise, surprise. Demand the truth from our representatives. Speak to your lieutenants. Do whatever you have to do. But we've already been told that there is no plan for the lieutenants to separate. To repeat: that is a lie.

Unregistered
    After years and years of not having the intestinal fortitude to really NEGOTIATE with city officials, they have finally called your bluff this time knowing nothing significant will happen for thumbing their nose at the pba. I'm shocked they haven't done this sooner.

Unregistered

Post To Quit the PBA

I had been considering quitting the PBA for quite some time, for reasons that are now obvious to all. After the final straw of some very rude, unprofessional (read: ****ish) text messages sent to me by one of the PBA representatives, I did quit. Quitting the union isn't a decision to be made lightly, and isn't without consequences (mainly, loss of representation in the event of police-related legal issues.)

If you make the decision to quit the PBA, the process is very simple. First, send an email to: laura@flpba.org, stating your name, your address, and the last four digits of your SSN, so she can confirm your identity. In the email, state your desire to cancel your PBA membership. In about a day, you will receive a response stating that the PBA has cancelled your membership, and letting you know all the valuable prizes you have lost out on. There will be a letter attached advising the City to stop taking PBA dues from your check. Print the letter, sign it, and give copies of the signed letter to Charlie Dormer at LPD, and to City Payroll (you can give it to the LPD payroll ladies, but they will just send it over to City Payroll. I inter-officed it to City Payroll, and also emailed a signed copy to all the City Payroll people).

That's it, you've quit the PBA. It's very likely that not paying the PBA dues will be the only raise you get for quite a while.

David Waterman

Unregistered
    Keep in mind the representation they offered is not guaranteed. They cherry pick their battles. So other than the life insurance, you were paying for a perceived representation. Get a prepaid legal plan instead. Oh, by the way... you can still vote on contracts even if you arent a member.