NJ to FHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NJ to FHP

Unregistered

NJ to FHP

Currently a cop up in New Jersey working for an agency where We are bouncing from call to call so we have barely any time to be proactive. The wife and I are considering moving down to the Orlando area and I was thinking about joining the FHP because I would like to work the interstates and state highways. After browsing on this forum for awhile it seems that FHP are just bouncing from MVA to MVA and having no time to be proactive and work the highways. I would just like to know some real insight from some troopers working the Orlando area if all this shit people are saying on here is true and since the FHP doesn’t have a salary step program how are pay raises gained. Thank you

Unregistered
    It’s very unlikely you’ll get an actual answer here. I’ll try to help you out. If you’re looking to be proactive, Orlando (Troop D) is not the place to go. You will go from call to call all day. Those guys cover a ton of stuff in the city in addition to the interstates. If you’re set on going to Orlando, go to the turnpike (Troop K). Their call volume is substantially less than anywhere else in the state. Watch out for all the negativity you read in here.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    It’s very unlikely you’ll get an actual answer here. I’ll try to help you out. If you’re looking to be proactive, Orlando (Troop D) is not the place to go. You will go from call to call all day. Those guys cover a ton of stuff in the city in addition to the interstates. If you’re set on going to Orlando, go to the turnpike (Troop K). Their call volume is substantially less than anywhere else in the state. Watch out for all the negativity you read in here.
    The above post in 100% on point. If you get assigned to Orlando (Troop D) you will, with almost certainty, go from crash to crash to crash for your entire shift, every day. Orlando is not the place to go for traditional traffic enforcement unless you go to Florida's Turnpike (Troop K) and then you will be in more of a traditional "State Trooper" role of patrolling the highway and conducting traffic enforcement.-
    15 year FHP Trooper (Troop D, Orlando 4 years)

Unregistered
    Try Tampa, Jacksonville or Tallahassee. Those places will afford you the chance to conduct traffic enforcement on a regular basis.

D-Orlando, is a meat grinder, DONT DO IT. You will be slammed with MVA after MVA.

Unregistered
    Try Tampa, Jacksonville or Tallahassee. Those places will afford you the chance to conduct traffic enforcement on a regular basis.

D-Orlando, is a meat grinder, DONT DO IT. You will be slammed with MVA after MVA.
    Tampa is no different than Orlando, x65 all day for crashes

Unregistered
    Currently a cop up in New Jersey working for an agency where We are bouncing from call to call so we have barely any time to be proactive. The wife and I are considering moving down to the Orlando area and I was thinking about joining the FHP because I would like to work the interstates and state highways. After browsing on this forum for awhile it seems that FHP are just bouncing from MVA to MVA and having no time to be proactive and work the highways. I would just like to know some real insight from some troopers working the Orlando area if all this shit people are saying on here is true and since the FHP doesn’t have a salary step program how are pay raises gained. Thank you

Stay in NJ for about 6months. We dont need you to bring your Coronavirus

Unregistered
    Of your not good at accidents get ready. FHP will definitely tighten you up. 65 signal 4's until your fingers bleed. No more traffic stops.

Unregistered
    If you want Orlando area but be proactive, Lake, Seminole, Volusia and Brevard counties are slower on calls.

Unregistered

Do you know that song “cha cha slide” well you know when they say “Reverse” that’s what I would follow when it comes to your idea, just think “ Reverse” when staring NJ LEO to FHP. You will never go wrong.

Unregistered
    Like everyone else has said, Troop D Orlando is basically just working crashes all day everyday until you realize you are just a glorified public service aide with a gun. The Turnpike handles less calls if you really want to live in Orlando, otherwise I would suggest either going to another department or going to another city with FHP. Miami has a much lower call volume since the county police handle most of their roads so you would have much more free time for enforcement and getting your hands dirty. Lots of overtime too to try to make up for the shit pay. As for raises, we get them at the legislature and the governor's mercy. Usually just enough to maybe keep up with inflation. This is not the place you want to go if you want to stay as a road officer and expect a high base pay. Expect to work off duty police employment for your entire career if you choose to live somewhere expensive. Tallahassee and the panhandle is cheaper to live in and much easier to get by on the state's salary and those areas also have much less call volume than Orlando, but its not city living if that's what your looking for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast