Pinellas Area Agencies

ND-fiveO

Pinellas Area Agencies

Hey everyone- new member here. 6 year veteran officer from ND moving to Florida next spring (March 2021). I’m a traffic focused officer (DRE and Drug interdiction) but I love taking calls as well! I work for a city of 40,000 and I’m excited to apply with a large city. I just applied for the EOT process with PASS in St Petersburg so I can come down and get licensed in 2 weeks. I’ll be taking the 2 week course in November and I’ll be looking for jobs in the area after/ if I pass the state exam. I have read a lot of negative things about St Pete PD on these forums. I’m hoping it’s not all true since I understand every agency has down falls. I’ll be applying with PCSO, HCSO, Tampa, Clearwater, and St Pete. Any insight from officers in the area as to which agencies to strive for / avoid?

Thanks!!

Unregistered
    We have a lot of issues like everywhere else. It’s not too bad here but I’ll tell you - the issues in the city and also within the government (including our pd) are probably amongst the worst in the state. Good luck

Unregistered
    "I have heard your agency is the bottom of the barrel so I am going to apply there anyway"

Good luck with that, MENSA poster boy. The cornfields will look so good after 6 months here

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    "I have heard your agency is the bottom of the barrel so I am going to apply there anyway"

Good luck with that, MENSA poster boy. The cornfields will look so good after 6 months here
    Not what I said. I’ve read a lot of bashing back and forth among agencies and I just wanted insight to the general morale and benefits to each agency around the area.

Unregistered
    In that case really think about coming here then. At least while we are under this mayor and chief(s)

Unregistered
    Of the agencies that you mentioned, I will rank them in the order that I consider the best in terms of pay, benefits, morale, etc...

Tampa PD
    PCSO
    Clearwater
    HCSO
    St Pete

Tampa is the clear leader in pay, benefits and morale. They do work for their money though. PCSO has some grumblers, the sheriff in my opinion is not the best around, but it could be worse. Clearwater you don't hear too much about. HCSO is constantly short staffed in patrol and run from call to call. A lot of times without backup nearby. St Pete is busy and the morale is in the dumps. Has been for years and it probably wouldn't be so bad if they were just allowed to get out and do their jobs.

This is just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth. Before someone else says it, "Opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one and they usually stink."

Unregistered
    I would consider the first four. Apply at those and see who calls you. I would not even apply at SPPD or FHP. The worst of the worst, and I don't mean the cops are bad, it's the politics. It will kill you and make you miserable. You want to spoend your shift somewhere where you aren't going to be stabbed in the back for doing your job. I would stay away from Lakeland too. If you're hurting for money, it really doesn't matter where you work. you'll always be behind and begging for 208.