Troubling questions about Broward Sheriff Gregory Tony, past and present | Editorial - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    INNOCENT until proven guilty.
    You people who are defending this guy need to wake up and smell the coffee. You’ve already lost the department and any shred of respect you could have salvaged. You’re as done as he is.

Unregistered
    Past and present says it all.

Unregistered
    Correct. Nobody is saying the outcome was not the correct one. However, to lie and intentionally omit that this happened under oath cannot be overlooked. That is the argument here. As recent as January 2020 he is still lying under oath that this never happened. To accept this means you are willing to allow any cop to intentionally lie on a police report because at the lime he lied, he was not under arrest. Wake up

Unregistered

His AKA Gregory Scott-Tone = ?

Troubling questions about Broward Sheriff Gregory Tony, past and present | Editorial
    The story was three decades old, yet it arrived with the shock value and immediacy of a hot-off-the-presses news bulletin.
    When Broward Sheriff Gregory Tony was a 14-year-old on the violent streets of Philadelphia, he killed a man, using his father’s gun to fire multiple shots into his 18-year-old neighbor’s head and body, according to reports.
    Tony, 14, said he acted in self-defense. He was ultimately tried as a juvenile and acquitted. The record was sealed. The details emerged on the Florida Bulldog news site, which said it had the police report.
    The chief law enforcement officer of Broward County shot and killed someone. That seems like something the public should know, especially when Tony is asking for the support of voters in the upcoming election.
    But nobody knew. Not the Coral Springs police department that hired Tony 15 years ago. Not Gov. Ron DeSantis, who appointed Tony last year after suspending former sheriff Scott Israel. Not the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, which ran a background check on Tony before DeSantis appointed him.
    Now that the story is finally becoming known, troubling questions abound.

* Why was Tony, the man, not honest about what happened? On his Coral Springs job application, Tony, then 26, was asked whether he had ever been arrested, charged, detained or been a suspect in a criminal investigation. His answers: “No.”

Portion of Gregory Tony application letter(Courtesy)
    Yet news accounts from 1993 said Tony was charged with murder and initially held without bail.
    Tony told the Sun Sentinel that he did not think he was technically “charged with a crime.” As the Bulldog reported, he was acquitted. But surely he remembers standing before a judge, charged with murder. And certainly he remembers being detained. How do you forget something like that?
    Had he had any doubt, Tony should have had the good sense to ask someone.

Eight days after the shooting, the Daily News reports that Gregory Scott-Tony's bail was set at $15,000 and that his attorney would seek to move the case to Juvenile Court.
    For jobs in law enforcement and those that deal with children, applicants must disclose if they’ve ever been arrested or charged, even if it happened when they were a juvenile and the record was sealed. The reason is simple: society expects the record and character of applicants for such jobs to be thoroughly vetted.
    Knowing what he knows now, the Coral Springs chief who hired Tony, Duncan Foster, told the Sun Sentinel that he would not have hired him. “All things being equal, there are more qualified candidates who did not have involvement with the criminal justice system to the extent that he did."
    * Where was the shooting? Tony told our reporters that victim Hector “Chino” Rodriguez was armed and chased Tony and his brother into their house. But news accounts say the shooting happened outside. Tony’s father, William Scott, also told the Daily News that he heard the gunshots from the street, just off a curb.
    Tony told our reporters that he doesn’t remember exactly how the shooting played out. Given that, he should make a formal request to the Philadelphia courts and district attorney to unseal his record. The sheriff regularly speaks about accountability for his deputies. It’s now his turn for a public reckoning.

* Why the different names? News reports in the Philadelphia Inquirer and Philadelphia Daily News referred to him as Gregory Scott-Toney when he was charged. In a brief story about his preliminary hearing eight days later, the Daily News again identified him by that name. A 2003 copy of Tony’s redacted birth certificate, released by Coral Springs Police Department, shows his name as we know it today. The reason for the name discrepancy remains unclear.
    * Where was the vetting? DeSantis says he was not aware of Tony’s past before appointing him on Jan. 11, 2019. FDLE says it conducted a background check, but found no court records in Pennsylvania and no indication of a sealed record on the NCIC federal computer crime database.
    “It was a self-defense so he was never charged with anything, so it wasn’t anything that would show up,” DeSantis said Monday.
    It’s shocking to learn the governor appointed Tony to the most powerful position in Broward County without knowing he’d gone on trial for killing someone. An investigation of this lapse is warranted.

Philadelphia Inquirer reports Gregory Scott-Toney was charged with murder and held without bail.
    It’s a safe assumption that Tony would not have been chosen if, after all these years, he had finally disclosed his past. Tony told the Sun Sentinel why he didn’t do so.
    “Why would I put myself in a position where I’m talking about a brutal attack that I survived, for the sake of an interview? I don’t think anyone would have done that.”
    Tony brushes off the controversy, saying his political opponents are “trying to retry a 14-year-old black kid.”
    But this isn’t solely about what happened back in Tony’s old neighborhood. This is about the veracity and character of the man who was appointed sheriff and now wants to be elected sheriff.
    Tony’s actions were not only deceptive, his failure to be forthright kept our community from better understanding who he is. It didn’t have to be this way.
    At a forum last October at the African-American library in Fort Lauderdale, in remarks captured on video, Tony vacillated on the controversial Promise program in Broward schools and took offense at suggestions that he couldn’t relate to inner-city residents.

“My story isn’t told," Tony said. "Yes, I grew up in the inner city of North Philadelphia, in the Badlands. And I survived gang shootings and home invasions, been in all parts of that. Been in gangs. Long before I had stars on my collar, I had a knee on my neck. So don’t lecture me on the issues related to being black in this country. That I find offensive.”
    On Sunday, Tony told our reporters there would be no other big surprises about him. “There’s nothing else that’s going to come to light,” he said.
    Yet Monday, photos emerged of Tony at parties organized by the promoter of “erotic theme events,” including “strip and swing club invasions.” The photos — taken before he was sheriff — show Tony in tight-fitting swim shorts with women wearing pasties instead of bras. Tony’s attorney says the photos are of legal activities and “not of public concern.”

Broward County Sheriff Gregory Tony at an event by VIPBliss.(Richard Comisky/Special to the South Florida Sun Sentinel)
    Not of public concern? We are still getting to know this man who was appointed sheriff. It may be legal to engage in such events, but it’s unusual behavior for someone who seeks a career in politics. It’s also behavior that a lot of voters would find troubling.

DeSantis, who plucked Tony from obscurity, seems to be distancing himself from his appointee. The governor made a startling declaration Monday. “It’s not like he’s my sheriff," he told reporters in Tallahassee. “I didn’t even know the guy.”
    It turns out that the rest of us don’t, either.
    His AKA is a solid leak to follow: Gregory Scott-Toney?

Unregistered
    We might be wrong, but it looks like someone touched a nerve. LOL

Hey dumbass, lets just fire Trump too while we’re at it

Unregistered

If you respect LEO's the worst part of this is...

For those that feel Tony outright lied, intentionally and with malice, then the worst part is that he makes every honest law enforcement officer out there seem like they are all like him. Very unfair to the hard-working,honest, decent LEOs out there.

Unregistered

Tallahassee must de-certify the sheriff for deliberately falsifying his application

He has confessed that he falsified two official sworn notarized documents which is a crime in an of itself. HE was asked if he has a Sealed or expunged juvenile record remember? Mr . Accountability said NO , but now he said yes it WAS sealed. Hi! bye !

Unregistered

Americans first SNOWFLAKE, vote Donald or cry like you did in 2016!

Hey dumbass, lets just fire Trump too while we’re at it
    YOU turd burglar kkkDemocraps, tried that four times but he beat your deep state aszez and your Russian puppet masters toooo! If we want your opinion we will make you look at nude pictures of YOU and your old hoe Ruth bader Ginsberg naked!

Unregistered

Criminal

The questions are way past troubling. They’re criminal in nature. That’s not troubling, it’s well beyond that.

I’m not usually one to stand in judgment of anyone else, except in this case. And the reason is he has been hanging cops for doing their jobs.

And if any of us had been accused of doing half of the things he is accused of doing, he wouldn’t hesitate to call one of his dumb press conferences, with those popsicle sticks standing beside him known as our command, and condemn you on TV before you even had a chance to have a fair trial.

It’s bullsh!t and disgusting and wrong on every level. That’s why he will get the same treatment he has been giving. Actually, it should be much worse, because unlike the deputies lives he has ruined, Mr. Toney really is a criminal.

Unregistered
    YOU turd burglar kkkDemocraps, tried that four times but he beat your deep state aszez and your Russian puppet masters toooo! If we want your opinion we will make you look at nude pictures of YOU and your old hoe Ruth bader Ginsberg naked!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast