Furloughs? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Furloughs?

Unregistered
    Jane, Les Miller and the democrats /media (same thing) all suck imo!!

Unregistered

Worse depression ever here now.

Many small businesses will never open again and the middle class wealth is being taken away. This has never happened before. It’s over. The city is screwed. They will not take raises as its contractual however step pays will be frozen for 2-3 years and OT will be suspended. We also will not get a raise in the next contract period. People better make plans for this financial hit. I feel bad for the entitled officers that live off their OT.

Unregistered
    All this misery to get Trump out, sad...Democrats are insane and don't even know it!

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    We have been situations like this before without layoffs or furloughs so quit trying to stir crap up. If that was even a thought, they would have already deemed a lot of the civilian positions in the districts non-essential and sent them home. The districts have plenty of civilian positions to start with and that talk hasn't even been mentioned
    We have never been in a situation like this before. So, be smart and save every penny that you can and do not make any major or unnecessary purchases for at least a year.

There will be cuts. Yes, first it will be civilians, and then as officers drop, they will most likely leave the slots vacant. But I would not make any bets that it won't go beyond that. And for those that believe that this will be over by April 30th or in another month, wake up.

Prepare yourself for higher pension contributions, no 13th checks, no step increases, 0,0,0 the next contract, etc. Some or all of this will happen.

Even when they decide to slowly open up certain businesses, parks, beaches, etc, there will be a resurgence of the virus. How bad this resurgence will be depends on many factors. Many of which depends on us (staying at home, social distancing, wearing mask, etc.).

The Spanish Flu was deadly to some extent for over 10 years. The most deadly mutations of the flu lasted approximately one year. In most places in the US we are only 1 or 2 months into this thing, so trust me when I say that we are going to be dealing with the health and economic impact of this virus for a while.

Back in December and January, I began to read about this virus when it was only in China. As I saw it spreading towards Europe, I told several of my friends and family members to prepare themselves, that the virus was coming our way, and it was going to be a mess. They looked at me like I was crazy. Well, I am sad to say that I was not crazy.

It will get better with time just like everything else does, but please don't be dismissive of the seriousness of the situation.

Be safe, be smart, and God bless you all.

Unregistered

No lay offs but changes coming

We have 42 vacant sworn positions and by September there will be another 15. There is a hiring freeze. I don’t see any lay-offs but those positions will not be filled. In addition cameras were cancelled and no new cars are being bought. Some talk about some reorganization to eliminate some supervisory and command level positions with merging SSD and SOD back together with Gonzalez leaving in a few months as well as sending VCB squads back to district and eliminating the Violent Crime Bureau.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    We have been situations like this before without layoffs or furloughs so quit trying to stir crap up. If that was even a thought, they would have already deemed alot of the civilian positions in the districts non-essential and sent them home. The districts have plenty of civilian positions to start with and that talk hasn't even been mentioned
    When have had a 25% city unemployment rate (people who want to work)? When have we been with a 60% reduction in sales taxes, every venue cancelled, no parking revenue, businesses closed water and trash revenue greatly reduced by so many closed businesses, hotels empty, etc. This list could go for a few pages. If this goes on to much longer the effect on other business is going to expand to a greater number of people. The crisis of 2008 was nothing compared to what this is doing to city revenue. Civilians will be laid off. Officers will do more with less.

Unregistered
    They will hire officers

Unregistered
    Of course they will. When it comes to overall city planning you have to look at “now” and “future”. If you are 57 officers short in September that becomes 75 six months after that...then 100...and so on. They might freeze some of those positions for a “buffer” but it takes an average of 7 months to hire and get a solo working officer. Not filling any positions quickly goes out of hand with those time frames.

Unregistered
    And what civilian positions do you think they can cut. They are all short handed as well

Unregistered

Next Class

They are already postponing the group set to swear in next month

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast