What I Don't Understand

Unregistered

What I Don't Understand

I don't get how the Sheriff and the Chief both acted when the troops wanted personal protective equipment (PPE's) due to the COVID-19 crisis. The whole thing could have been handled like this: thank you for sharing your concerns, which I agree with, this is what we have been doing....., nevertheless we will step up our game to get the PPE's you deserve, I will keep you posted in due time. How hard could that be? Now both of them are suffering the consequences of their actions. I just don't get it.

Unregistered
    That would have made a lot more sense. In stead our Chief disparaged the gay community. Now we will lose a good chief and a good guy.

Unregistered
    Knowledge is power. By withholding information they continue to have power over you. If you want another example of how the command staff does this to keep power over us just look back to Hurricane Dorian of last year. As the storm was approaching and we where all waiting to see if we were going to A/B for the storm no info was relayed to us. It was suggested to a person in charge of operations that he should at least send out an email to let us know what was going on. The idea was shot down with a snarky comment along the lines of they only need to know what I want them to know (Paraphrased). Now listen I get the whole chain of command, need to know basis crap, but at a time like a hurricane warning with a cat5 just off shore keeping your people informed as to what future plans are goes along way. I’m sure his wife knew what was happening. It wasn’t until a couple days in before we started getting half a** emails saying there is no A/B but to standby.

As far as a “good Chief” being lost well I guess that’s up to each persons interpretation. If you’re one of his chosen buddies then yeah I see why your upset, there goes the gravy train. But If a simple request to get PPE or have briefing outside makes someone fly off the rails and into a temper tantrum then that person is not cut out for the job. This was only after 1 year in that spot. Could you imagine after a couple years and other stressful events occurring what sort of childish reactions we would see. There have been plenty of people that fell victim to his bravo channel chewings, is that how a leader is supposed to behave. (And no I’m not a cry baby millennial, I just think a Chief needs to be a little more tactful).

Lemack will have his work cut out for him replacing him because whoever the new person is he/she will be under the public microscope. Not only that I’m pretty sure Lynn is here coming up with a long list of things that this person will need to address. It’s quite obvious that Lemack and the council value his opinion and input if they where willing to bring him back during this time. He could have kept the other guy there because according to himself he likes to promote from with in but I guess not.

One of the things that we lacked before was accountability. Certain people got away with things and others did not. This Chief was preaching accountability, well that goes for everyone. This sucks for everyone involved in the briefing who now has to be apart of this investigation. Regardless of the outcome I just hope people are honest to what they heard and how they felt because remember, He preached accountability, so you know damn well you would be hung out to dry if you said it and not him.

Going to be an interesting couple of weeks.

Unregistered
    Knowledge is power my friend. The sooner you realize they keep information from you so they have power over you the sooner you’ll move on. It would’ve been simple to say what you said but they think that we don’t need to know what’s going on behind the scenes, just trust them. That’s ok during day to day operations but during a stressful time like this pandemic or a hurricane the constant smooth flow of information keeps people on the loop and up to date. These covid 19 updates we would get in email have already stopped coming

Unregistered
    A good Chief? Does a good chief throw a temper tantrum over his officers asking for PPE and have outside briefing? If you’ve been here for any length of time we’ve all heard his bravo channel tirades over something stupid. A good chief needs to be able to control himself and be an adult and not throw a fit when people question him.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Knowledge is power. By withholding information they continue to have power over you. If you want another example of how the command staff does this to keep power over us just look back to Hurricane Dorian of last year. As the storm was approaching and we where all waiting to see if we were going to A/B for the storm no info was relayed to us. It was suggested to a person in charge of operations that he should at least send out an email to let us know what was going on. The idea was shot down with a snarky comment along the lines of they only need to know what I want them to know (Paraphrased). Now listen I get the whole chain of command, need to know basis crap, but at a time like a hurricane warning with a cat5 just off shore keeping your people informed as to what future plans are goes along way. I’m sure his wife knew what was happening. It wasn’t until a couple days in before we started getting half a** emails saying there is no A/B but to standby.

As far as a “good Chief” being lost well I guess that’s up to each persons interpretation. If you’re one of his chosen buddies then yeah I see why your upset, there goes the gravy train. But If a simple request to get PPE or have briefing outside makes someone fly off the rails and into a temper tantrum then that person is not cut out for the job. This was only after 1 year in that spot. Could you imagine after a couple years and other stressful events occurring what sort of childish reactions we would see. There have been plenty of people that fell victim to his bravo channel chewings, is that how a leader is supposed to behave. (And no I’m not a cry baby millennial, I just think a Chief needs to be a little more tactful).

Lemack will have his work cut out for him replacing him because whoever the new person is he/she will be under the public microscope. Not only that I’m pretty sure Lynn is here coming up with a long list of things that this person will need to address. It’s quite obvious that Lemack and the council value his opinion and input if they where willing to bring him back during this time. He could have kept the other guy there because according to himself he likes to promote from with in but I guess not.

One of the things that we lacked before was accountability. Certain people got away with things and others did not. This Chief was preaching accountability, well that goes for everyone. This sucks for everyone involved in the briefing who now has to be apart of this investigation. Regardless of the outcome I just hope people are honest to what they heard and how they felt because remember, He preached accountability, so you know damn well you would be hung out to dry if you said it and not him.

Going to be an interesting couple of weeks.
    Excellent well thought out post.