Questions for Tampa Officers
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unregistered

Questions for Tampa Officers

I'm a LEO in PA, but I'm considering moving to the Tampa area, because the wife would make a lot more in Tampa. I just have a few questions if you guys can help.

1. Do I need to take the EOT before I can apply, or can it wait until it looks like I am on track for hire?

2. I've read that Tampa is one of the more squared away department on the Gulf coast - is this still accurate? I have it very, very good at my current department and would like to keep it that way.

3. I've vacationed in/around Tampa several times, but can anyone speak to what it's like to reside in the area?

4. What's Tampa's use of force policy?

5. Can anyone on here provide updated salary/contract information? I think I saw that they just negotiated with the city, but the city website only has the contract through 2018.

6. Lastly, all I see that the schedule is 4 on 4 off. Can anyone explain how that works? I'm 4 on 2 off

7. What's the comp time like? Do you get your balls busted for using sick time?

Thank you guys in advance, and be safe. I appreciate it.

Unregistered
    Some of these questions need to be answered by calling recruiting. Use of force policy is roughly the same as everywhere else. Vacation, sick, comp, and banked holidays are all from their own separate reserves; you aren't going to get shit unless you are abusing it like calling out every Friday. The 4 on 4 off works exactly how it sounds.

Unregistered

Like being on Vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Some of these questions need to be answered by calling recruiting. Use of force policy is roughly the same as everywhere else. Vacation, sick, comp, and banked holidays are all from their own separate reserves; you aren't going to get shit unless you are abusing it like calling out every Friday. The 4 on 4 off works exactly how it sounds.
    It’s a great area to live, with the exception of the past month. I’m with the Hillsborough Sheriffs Office, so I can’t answer the TPD questions as well as a Tampa Cop. I came down from New York, like everyone else there sick of crap weather. I don’t know what you make in Pennsylvania but I definitely took a pay cut to come down but the cost of living is less, so kind of a wash. You can take the two week training once you’re well into the process. After that you’ll have what we called module for a couple months. Tampa is the same, but called something else. Then you’ll have to go through the FTO. For me going from 4-2 with 8 hour shift to 12 hour shifts took some getting used to but for the SO, you end up getting every other Fri-Sat-Sun off. Way better than only getting part of a weekend off every 7 weeks. I know I highjacked this but you may want to apply to the SO also just to get down here.

Unregistered
    I’m interested in coming down from the northeast as well and been looking at TPD. I don’t think I could stomach wearing those white shirts that HCSO wears. Y’all still got them?

Unregistered
    I’m interested in coming down from the northeast as well and been looking at TPD. I don’t think I could stomach wearing those white shirts that HCSO wears. Y’all still got them?
    That’s fine as long as you understand nobody gives a shiit how it’s done up naaaawth.

Unregistered
    I don’t have exact numbers but at end of this three year contract MPO makes 100k. Take home car and nobody gives a shit when you take time off don’t think I have ever been denied or had anything ever said about it. Schedule is 4 on 4 off the best schedule I’ve ever worked you only work half a year. More off duty details than you could ever work. Excellent pension for retirement. Negatives we have an echo maniac a—hole for a chief but god willing he will be gone soon. If your a democrat please stay up there have too many here messing the state up already.

Unregistered
    I came from up north to TPD. The chief comment is 100% spot on hopefully he will be gone before he ruins this place. As far as departments go definitely one of the best around still. Large enough to do just about anything in policing but small enough so your not just a number. Best paid around with a great pension. SO guys try to claim they don’t “pay into state retirement “ but they pay into social security we don’t so it evens out only our retirement is significantly better. Time off is rarely ever an issue and most CPL’s or SGT’s will work it out to your benefit.
    Over all I got no complaints. Body cameras coming that’s gonna change a lot and be a moral killer here but it is everywhere.

Unregistered
    That’s fine as long as you understand nobody gives a shiit how it’s done up naaaawth.
    There’s a reason why I’m leaving the north and want to come down there! Only thing I will say is we have professional courtesy way better than down south and our unions are stronger, at least from what I’ve heard. A cop doesn’t write a cop or jam a cop up for shit up here.

Seriously though, whose decision was it to have road patrol wearing white shirts? I remember growing up and seeing them on episodes of COPS

Unregistered
    I work for an agency roughly half the size of TPD so it’s nice knowing that it’s not crazy huge where you’re just a number, although I’m sure that applies in some instances. I’ve had a body cam my whole career so it’s not something I’m worried about and doesn’t really affect much for me.

I did see an article about 3 guys getting fired, something about them not citing people for weed and just tossing it or something like that? Is that not normal practice down there and are you guys required to seize all narcotics you come across? Maybe my agency is different but I can find dope on someone and toss it if I’m gonna flip them, even if it was on body cam.

Housing in the area seems extremely reasonable which is another attractive part of the Tampa area. Do most guys live in the county or what?

Unregistered
    There’s a reason why I’m leaving the north and want to come down there! Only thing I will say is we have professional courtesy way better than down south and our unions are stronger, at least from what I’ve heard. A cop doesn’t write a cop or jam a cop up for shit up here.

Seriously though, whose decision was it to have road patrol wearing white shirts? I remember growing up and seeing them on episodes of COPS
    You sound like a dipshit. I’d say stay where you are, we don’t need a problem from your agency becoming our problem. Keep flipping them druggies Serpico.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast