Violation of F.S.S. 843.08 - Felony 3rd

Unregistered

Violation of F.S.S. 843.08 - Felony 3rd

Civilian employees, regardless of assignment, should not be wearing the same police badges (embroidered or actual) that are issued to sworn police officers. Period. I’m sure most if not all of you remember how proud you were after you earned your badge. I also know that you probably cherished it, kept it clean and was proud to pin it on before every shift because you know what it took to earn it and what it symbolized.

All of our civilians who wear uniforms such as , radio, records, CSO’s and CST’s are clearly identified as TPD employees and are in no way mistaken as sworn police officers by their uniforms. While the two civilians we do have running around the city with gold Tampa Police badges embroidered on their jackets and shirts are routinely mistaken for Tampa Police Officers. This is real cute for news cams and Twitter, but wait until they are wearing their gold TPD badges and something goes “south” because they are mistaken by someone who would rightfully assume they are police officers.

This is nothing personal as I have never met either one of them, but I had to earn my badge and if they want to wear the exact same one I do they should have to earn it too. Put them through the academy, hold over, FTO and make them reserves or change their badge to a city seal or logo like the one worn my other civilian employees. This needs to be addressed because just like those BS YMCG badges, it’s disrespectful to each and every person who has earned, retried or died wearing that badge.

Unregistered
    You are a real piece of work, take some of your act right pills and relax.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    You are a real piece of work, take some of your act right pills and relax.
    STFU he is 100% correct.

Unregistered
    Alright I didn't want to get personally involved with you two idiots but meet me in front of 411 so I can smack some "act right" into you.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Alright I didn't want to get personally involved with you two idiots but meet me in front of 411 so I can smack some "act right" into you.
    Says the person calling someone else an idiot. Ok, please go fist fight a coworker in front of 411 and come back to this site and let us know how great it worked out for you!

Unregistered
    The correct statute is 843.085. http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/.../0843.085.html

Disrespectful aside...

Read this part: "...with the intent to mislead or cause another person to believe that he or she is a member of that agency or is authorized to display or wear such item." (1) They are a member of the agency (doesn't specify in that statute between civilian or sworn members) and (2) they're authorized if the jacket was issued to them specifically by the agency. No violation of the law in that case.

843.08 touches impersonation and doesn't mention insignia. It would require a employee to do some sort of law enforcement-like action "...AND takes upon himself or herself to act as such, or to require any other person to aid or assist him or her in a matter pertaining to the duty of any such officer."

That being said, I know exactly who you're talking about and I do think it should be addressed. Because yes, it should only be worn by those who've earned it. But it's not against the law and they aren't going to be targeted when "things go south" any more than others around a scene. Kind of a stretch.