Arresting a pastor for holding church? - Page 9
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Ok, agreed. Plenty of other sicknesses kill more people yearly. They key word being yearly. Not within a 3 month period overwhelming our medical system. Like this virus is Doing.
    It’s not overwhelming our medical system at all. That again, is propaganda. It’s overwhelming Europe because they have free, universal health care where people can go to the hospital for free treatment for everything, all the way down to a paper cut. The hospital was already overwhelmed because they’re treating every day issues our hospitals don’t see. Here, we have doctor’s offices, walk-in clinics, urgent care, telemedicine... we have options before we go to the hospital. Italy also reported that 99% of their dead had other illnesses such as cancer. Hmmm. Pass by a hospital in your zone right now and get us a picture of the line waiting around it or the dead bodies in the street or in the waiting rooms. You can’t do it because it’s not happening. You have been suckered.

Unregistered
    I want to see the Dynasty Defeated.

Unregistered

Question

I commend the Sheriff for having the courage of his conviction to stand up to this idiot pastor. I visited his church once and never went back. Very, very, very weird vibe. As to the constitutionality of the arrest for unlawful assembly, the constitution does protect individual rights like assembly, press, arms, religion, etc. However, judicial review shows there are limits to constitutional rights. A number of SCOTUS cases in our nation's history have upheld government intrusions on individual rights when they were deemed to be absolutely necessary (rare).

Sometimes government infringement is necessary when it protects the welfare of people from clear and present danger (when the intrusion outweighs an individual's rights given in a particular situation). The pastor continuing to have his parishioners pack services and ignore CDC, federal, state, and local health recommendations that contain a large number of vulnerable people being present in his church was carless, selfish, and irresponsible on his part. The essential assumption behind the argument for the intrusion is that COVID-19 is a clean and present danger that is an eminent threat to the public. And with SCOTUS adding two more conservative justices since Trump came to the White House, one can deduce the majority of the justices will remain a conservative court and follow legal precedent. Due to the totality of the circumstances surrounding the dangers of COVID-19, I like the Sheriff's chances in a SCOTUS case regarding this arrest.

Government, like the framers posited, should be limited. But when the people act in such a way that places others in eminent danger that is clear and present, government can become necessary. It's like the hundreds of domestic calls we respond to. If there is evidence of a crime along with the domestic violence element, when we show up, someone more likely than will takes the ride. Or, when we go to a mentally ill violent call and someone get's Baker Acted based on the fact they met criteria.

For me, I will continue to use discretion pertaining to incidents like the one referenced in the original post at every turn until we can get a handle on this virus and "flatten the curve." Again, as a constitutionalist, I believe it should be adhered to closely. But sometimes you have to put your sack on the table.

Cheers!
    The Bill of Rights says that "Congress" shall not infringe on certain rights, but it does not say anything about States, counties or cities infringing on certain rights. That's why it is illegal to possess guns (without a permit) in some states e.g. some States have legally [?] infringed on certain rights.

Unregistered
    The Bill of Rights says that "Congress" shall not infringe on certain rights, but it does not say anything about States, counties or cities infringing on certain rights. That's why it is illegal to possess guns (without a permit) in some states e.g. some States have legally [?] infringed on certain rights.

C'mon man........ Really?

Section 1 the 14th Amendment states:
    “All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States…”

Not only that, but The First Amendment, along with the rest of the Bill of Rights, was submitted to the states for ratification on September 25, 1789, and adopted on December 15, 1791.

Also, beginning in the 1920s, a series of United States Supreme Court decisions interpreted the Fourteenth Amendment to "incorporate" the Bill of Rights, making these portions enforceable against the state governments.

Additionally, the Doctrine of Preemption is based on the Supremacy Clause. The Doctrine states that if a federal law preempts state law, then the state law is declared invalid.

Even further, Article VI, Paragraph 2 of the U.S. Constitution is commonly referred to as the Supremacy Clause. It establishes that the federal constitution, and federal law take precedence over state laws, and even state constitutions.

A far as some states not allowing firearms, the first thing you have to understand is that local (States) can get away with almost anything if the citizens will allow it. (Obviously in Hillsborough County Florida... the citizens WILL NOT ALLOW for our Sheriff to arrest a Pastor for assembling to worship, even if the pastor is stupid for doing so because of a contagion.)

Here is a very simplified version of a time and money consuming process. There has to be a legal challenge to a law, which judgement will then be appealed. Then it goes before a Circuit Court of Appeal. Depending on the area, such as California (or NY) which is probably one of the most Liberal/Progressive courts, it will be judged in favor of the standing Law. That judgment will be then appealed to the Supreme Court. The Supreme Court may or may not decide to hear the case.

If not then the judgment stands. There are other States that have laws that violate the Bill of Rights and they will be set right (affirmed or reversed) as soon as the issues make their way to the Supreme Court.

Unregistered
    Thanks for doing so much research! I found it helpful to understand what is actually going on. Then I printed it out and used it as toilet paper. Thanks again.

Unregistered
    Thanks for doing so much research! I found it helpful to understand what is actually going on. Then I printed it out and used it as toilet paper. Thanks again.
    You're welcome. You didn't know this already? It's pretty much common knowledge. Except for with the Sheriff of the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office.

Wait... Chad is that you?

Unregistered
    You're welcome. You didn't know this already? It's pretty much common knowledge. Except for with the Sheriff of the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office.

Wait... Chad is that you?

BRUTAL! But true.

Unregistered
    It’s not overwhelming our medical system at all. That again, is propaganda. It’s overwhelming Europe because they have free, universal health care where people can go to the hospital for free treatment for everything, all the way down to a paper cut. The hospital was already overwhelmed because they’re treating every day issues our hospitals don’t see. Here, we have doctor’s offices, walk-in clinics, urgent care, telemedicine... we have options before we go to the hospital. Italy also reported that 99% of their dead had other illnesses such as cancer. Hmmm. Pass by a hospital in your zone right now and get us a picture of the line waiting around it or the dead bodies in the street or in the waiting rooms. You can’t do it because it’s not happening. You have been suckered.
    Agreed! You know what's really going on. I applaud you for seeing passed the BS.

Unregistered

Test this Title

Test this Message

Unregistered
    Most of the stuff being spread about this virus is propaganda. CBS new already admitted today to accidentally using fake pictures of sick New Yorkers. Fauci, already said this virus is less deadly than the flu. Stop watching CNN because your brainwash is showing.
    Your an absolute idiot to think this virus isn’t killing people. If that were the case there would not be a “safer at home order” in place. I hope your not serving in a leadership capacity, because if you are, your deputies are screwed.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast