Florida Correctional Officers need read and understand law. - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Unregistered

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    That is correct: if you are commissioned with an ID card, then you have a duty-to-act. Conversely, if you are not commissioned with an ID card while you are off-duty, then you do not have a duty-to-act. The decision belongs to your employer whether he will or will not commission you with an off-duty ID card.
    The guy from New York is basically saying that if you are employed as a C.O., then your employer is required by law to give you an ID card to carry while you are off-duty. The guy from New York is wrong.

Unregistered
    That is correct: if you are commissioned with an ID card, then you have a duty-to-act. Conversely, if you are not commissioned with an ID card while you are off-duty, then you do not have a duty-to-act. The decision belongs to your employer whether he will or will not commission you with an off-duty ID card.
    Wow, I have a ID and a G license. I work security at the mall. I have arrest powers? Great to know

Unregistered
    Wow, I have a ID and a G license. I work security at the mall. I have arrest powers? Great to know
    Yes, if you have an ID card that says deputy sheriff, then you have arrest authority. The G license doesn't mean squat.

Unregistered

Cool

The guy from New York is basically saying that if you are employed as a C.O., then your sheriff is required by law to give you a deputy sheriff ID card to carry while you are off-duty. The guy from New York is wrong.
    In New York, some agencies issue ID cards that say:
    - arrest authority
    . or
    - no arrest authority

Unregistered
    - arrest authority
    . or
    - no arrest authority
    Last time I checked, when you drive into this state it says Welcome to Florida. So, who the hell cares what they do in New York.

Unregistered Alien
    Everything this guy says is wrong. He's parroting VERY old AG Opinions that have long since been rendered moot by the legislature. Corrections and Probation are not peace officers, period. That's been debated and put to rest by the legislature and in the courts for the simple fact they have extremely limited arrest authority and none over people that aren't under supervision.

The FL Rule he referenced labels EVERYONE in the department as law enforcement officers because 790.01 gives the department that authority to include them in the definition in reference to THAT CHAPTER so they can utilize firearms and other weapons.

Florida law is convoluted and poorly written compared to others, but these issues have been put to the rest by the legislature and courts and it's pretty sad when people claim they know the law and then get everything about it wrong.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered Alien View Post
    Everything this guy says is wrong. He's parroting VERY old AG Opinions that have long since been rendered moot by the legislature. Corrections and Probation are not peace officers, period. That's been debated and put to rest by the legislature and in the courts for the simple fact they have extremely limited arrest authority and none over people that aren't under supervision.

The FL Rule he referenced labels EVERYONE in the department as law enforcement officers because 790.01 gives the department that authority to include them in the definition in reference to THAT CHAPTER so they can utilize firearms and other weapons.

Florida law is convoluted and poorly written compared to others, but these issues have been put to the rest by the legislature and courts and it's pretty sad when people claim they know the law and then get everything about it wrong.
    Can you please post some case law examples where the Courts and/or Legislature have rendered them "moot"?
    I do agree with you that laws are typically convoluted and poorly written!

Unregistered
    Can you please post some case law examples where the Courts and/or Legislature have rendered them "moot"?
    I do agree with you that laws are typically convoluted and poorly written!
    Why bother? You people obviously aren't educated in law and I'm not going to argue with people whose only proof that COs and CPOs have general arrest authority is a decades old AG opinion. Even the OIG LEO inspectors don't have the same statutory authority that every other State and Local LEOs have.

Unregistered
    An he will be in violation of federal law and will be reported and changed.
    yes he will be ..

Unregistered
    - arrest authority
    . or
    - no arrest authority

I have done LEO in NY for about 10 ears before becoming a FED AGENT and I worked with MANY LE AGENCIEs and I being a "buff" as they say liked to look at other agency ids ...and I NEVER EVER SAW AN ID THAT SAID "ARREST AUTHORITY or NO ARREST AUTHORITY" IN NYS there are two classification of LEOS..PEACE OFFICER and POLICE OFFICER a peace officer working in a LE agency has all the authority of a Police OFFICER MINUS. ARREST SOLELY ON. WARRANT AND THE GOOD OLE STOP AND FRISK Peace OFFICER NEED PC rather THAN RS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast