Our PBA "fighting" for us

Unregistered

Our PBA "fighting" for us

The more I watch the videos of the negotiations between the district and the PBA, the more of a disappointment the PBA becomes.

The first round of negotiations they wasted a lot of time arguing if you should have to notify a supervisor in the unlikely event you miss three consecutive days of work. As much as they argued that, I was a little surprised they never discussed it again at the future meetings. While I appreciate their effort in trying to argue the non-owner insurance, but I also know it’s a battle they will not win.

My understanding from the 3-12-20 meeting was the district offered a three percent raise, but the PBA wanted to have the members vote on it. I have seen no effort from the PBA to mention a meeting, or to have any communication. I understand with the Covid 19 going around, it may not be the best time to have a meeting, but there could be some communication. I know the PBA has our personal email addresses, because I received an email last week from informing me of the new hours and asking to call before coming in. It would’ve taken the same effort to communicate to the membership where we are at, and ask for input.

After reading the latest email from the Chief, I can now see the PBA was more interested in making sure we did not have acting sergeants. I have often said the PBA is basically just a prepaid legal fund, but I hoped they were going to get their act together for us, even if it is a small raise, it adds up over a period of time.

I think it’s time to abandon the PBA, and look for other alternatives for representation. If you were to be involved in a shooting, the PBA is great, but for contract negotiations they have let us down.

If anyone is interested in joining the FOP, you can still have legal representation for departmental matters. I am going to consider this as an option, the link is below if you are interested.

https://www.fop.net/CmsPage.aspx?id=17

Unregistered
    I agree that the PBA negotiations have been a waste thus far but I absolutely understand why they took to a grievance about the acting sergeants when Frank K decided to find away around the standing bargaining agreement. I see Frank K is not too thrilled about being strong armed and appointed all acting sergeants to come detectives.

Now back to the PBA. What will FOP offer us that PBA does not? Secondly does FOP have a strong union here in Florida remember this is not New York. Will we miss our chance at the 3% raise because of the Covid 19?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I agree that the PBA negotiations have been a waste thus far but I absolutely understand why they took to a grievance about the acting sergeants when Frank K decided to find away around the standing bargaining agreement. I see Frank K is not too thrilled about being strong armed and appointed all acting sergeants to come detectives.

Now back to the PBA. What will FOP offer us that PBA does not? Secondly does FOP have a strong union here in Florida remember this is not New York. Will we miss our chance at the 3% raise because of the Covid 19?
    I agree this is not New York, and the labor unions down here have such little power. The biggest issue I have with the PBA is that there has been no communication. They have our personal email addresses, keep us informed with what the union is doing. Have some meetings. If you want the members to vote on the 3 percent pay raise, then let's have a vote on it. I do believe the FOP is well represented in Florida. Throughout my career I have been represented by both, and I guess there are pros and cons for both unions.

Unregistered
    I've been thinking about coming over to your agency I'm retiring as a cop up north, I know no job is perfect but c'mon 4 wks in the summer off plus winter and spring break mon thru fri weekends off. Yeah I'm in the stuff I saw on the video, well just not that worried about compared to what I've worked in my career I'll take your agency and enjoy it.

Unregistered

FOP is a dinosaur with a $20,000 cap on legal coverage. What about IUPA? BSO is happy with them.

Unregistered
    Just face it, Frank K does as he please. File a grievance against me a win then I appoint each and every acting sergent to detectives with the role of supervisors. They now get the $4000 stipend and uniform allowance and there is nothing PBA can do about it. This place is nothing short of a mockery.

Unregistered
    FOP is a dinosaur with a $20,000 cap on legal coverage. What about IUPA? BSO is happy with them.
    I wouldn’t be opposed to IUPA. I didn’t know about the cap on legal coverage, thank you for pointing that out.