Admitting you have a problem has to be the first step toward fixing it - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Unregistered
    I don’t think it’s ever a matter of thinking you are without friends. Many who have departed had plenty. It wasn’t about that. When you post this stuff it’s about healing your feelings, not meaningful change. These people make decisions based on whatever they are going through. If it was as easy as calling a friend suicide would never happen. And sometimes it isn’t about work at all. Most Alphas are at home when they are in chaos. Life still has pitfalls and it’s not all about what you experience as a cop. Realizing you are in a dark place and admitting it to yourself is what matters. If you don’t seek help then what happens happens. Sad but true. The ones left behind wonder what they could have done. Guess what. Not a god damn thing. If someone means to do it, they will just do it. Sad fact of life and death.

Unregistered
    Absolutely right! Its called life and your personal ability to deal with adversity which comes in many forms. Divorce, relationship issues, health issues, addictions, and for some, shame, if you have done something so humiliating that it has tarnished your good name or reputation. The bottom line however, is the person that pulls the trigger is the only person responsible for ending his/her life. The rest of us are left to pick up the pieces. It truly is a very selfish act that supersedes everything else. Suicide is a choice that only that person gets to make. No amount of support or love is gonna change that if the person has decided to do it. Don't beat yourself up over it, they did it their way, thats the bottom line here.

Unregistered
    About 5 or 6 co-workers committed suicide during my career so far, for reasons known only to them. Glad they did not go postal and took out other people with them.

Unregistered
    Really good discussion on the issue. I remember one of my Fto's telling me years ago when we were on a drunk person call about the person we were called to named Walter. If you worked North, Walter could always be found around the Alderman and US 19 area. Walter was a investment banker, married, family, making big money. Developed a drinking problem, and one by one lost everything important to him in life. Walter's life was reduced to begging for money and drinking himself to sleep only to wake up the next day and do it again. My Fto pointed out that we are really only a handful of decisions from being Walter. I have never forgotten that statement. Life is fragile, and success or failure indeed can be just a bad decision or two that make's the difference. Walter eventually was found dead behind Publix at 19/Alderman of natural causes. Walter was a harmless drunk and was so well liked by people in the area. I have always had a little empathy for people down in the gutters of life....as long as they weren't mean and nasty. Suicide can also hinge on just a decision or incident,ie argument, financial, etc thats how fragile some people can be.

Unregistered
    According to the agency there are no substance abuse problems so no need for random drug testing, etc. A few suicides here and there, boozing it up all the time, steroids, pain killers, no big deal. Better off not to know in case of liability lawsuits. Carry on as usual.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123