Liability and the NPPD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unregistered

Liability and the NPPD

This week while driving on 41 I saw numerous NPPD vehicles running code south on 41 really didn't think much about it. Then I learned they responded to the iguana hunter/active shooter in Englewood. While watching the news there were numerous NPPD vehicles at the scene. I know this was a possible active shooter at two schools and I am not discarding the potential seriousness of the situation, but, I also know about 30 sheriffs deputies were on scene. My question is this, NPPD is a Sarasota county agency, in addition they have no jurisdiction whatsoever outside the city limits. Englewood is in Charlotte county, the question is who assumes the liability if an officer crashes outside the city or has to use deadly force. Technically once they leave the city, they have no authority. I know the fire depts. have mutual aid agreement but there appears to be no written agreement between CCSO and NPPD. I am told Sarasota county Sheriffs never responded even though they patrol part of Englewood, If in fact there is no written agreement between agencies then, even though this is a active shooter threat, this agencies first responsibility to its citizens. It is my understanding numerous NPPD cars responded leaving the city stripped of police protection for hours. If this is the case then city officials should look into this and the management decision to send the cars. Is this NPPD policy? Its pretty simple, any written agreement for mutual aid???, number of NPPD cars that responded and number of patrols on duty that day. Again I state there were at least and probably more than 30 CCSO deputies on scene, some within minutes. Is CCSO reimbursing NP for the officers and vehicles ??? Does CCSO respond to NP if needed ?? Liability is the sole responsibility of us, the taxpayers, The NPPD's sole responsibility is to protect North Port. If this was justified by a written agreement, then it is what it is, if not then management should be held accountable.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    This week while driving on 41 I saw numerous NPPD vehicles running code south on 41 really didn't think much about it. Then I learned they responded to the iguana hunter/active shooter in Englewood. While watching the news there were numerous NPPD vehicles at the scene. I know this was a possible active shooter at two schools and I am not discarding the potential seriousness of the situation, but, I also know about 30 sheriffs deputies were on scene. My question is this, NPPD is a Sarasota county agency, in addition they have no jurisdiction whatsoever outside the city limits. Englewood is in Charlotte county, the question is who assumes the liability if an officer crashes outside the city or has to use deadly force. Technically once they leave the city, they have no authority. I know the fire depts. have mutual aid agreement but there appears to be no written agreement between CCSO and NPPD. I am told Sarasota county Sheriffs never responded even though they patrol part of Englewood, If in fact there is no written agreement between agencies then, even though this is a active shooter threat, this agencies first responsibility to its citizens. It is my understanding numerous NPPD cars responded leaving the city stripped of police protection for hours. If this is the case then city officials should look into this and the management decision to send the cars. Is this NPPD policy? Its pretty simple, any written agreement for mutual aid???, number of NPPD cars that responded and number of patrols on duty that day. Again I state there were at least and probably more than 30 CCSO deputies on scene, some within minutes. Is CCSO reimbursing NP for the officers and vehicles ??? Does CCSO respond to NP if needed ?? Liability is the sole responsibility of us, the taxpayers, The NPPD's sole responsibility is to protect North Port. If this was justified by a written agreement, then it is what it is, if not then management should be held accountable.
    Chapter 23, Florida Statutes, the Florida Mutual Aid Act, authorized NPPD's response.

Unregistered
    Hey clueless. It is called mutual aide agreements. These are common agreements all over the state. The jurisdiction spans well beyond North Port and Sarasota County for that matter. Second, Charlotte SO called for NPPD assistance. Third, NPPD was well enroute before your 30 or so called units arrives. If you don't know what you are talking about maybe keep your mouth shut.

Unregistered
    Of course NPPD has a mutual aide agreement with Charlotte County Sheriff. They have them.wirh multiple agencies. Why not go to some other board with idiotic statements.

Unregistered
    The OP is a moron

Unregistered
    u r corect,the lock down was bogus,cop already told us it wasnt suposed 2 hapen,sheriff did it as a re election campaingn stunt,and a practice run.now kids have ptsd for youre outrages over reactive crimesssssssssssssssss.and u defamed and slandered the iguana hunter

Unregistered
    Andy you crack me up with your crazy and goofy posts.

Unregistered
    r u kiding me u piece of shit,the report was 2 sentences redacted,u make me scream 4 the revolution that r founding fathers told us 2 have wen it got this corupt

Unregistered

Mr. Sheets

r u kiding me u piece of shit,the report was 2 sentences redacted,u make me scream 4 the revolution that r founding fathers told us 2 have wen it got this corupt

Now now Andrew, lets calm down. No need to get worked up over another thing. Let’s take a moment to reflect the response time our North Port Police Department was able to accommodate for another agency in need. I am sure there are plenty of parents, as I am myself, appreciative of the numerous officers and deputies that showed up for the children. When you move into our city you can criticize the police department, until then let’s revisit elementary school and work on complete sentences and spelling.

Unregistered
    Andy you have gone off the deep end. What a wack job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast