COLA coming back? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    What was the purpose? To get people to quit? What year did it take effect?
    July 1, 2011

Unregistered
    I have respect for LEO, but please stop. Just stop. Enough with the COLA and more money farce. Who get's a guaranteed COLA in their pension every year in the private sector? It's obscene to do this to the taxpayers.
    HAHAHAHA, LOLOLOLOLOL we do and we deserve every penny. I get my nice 3% COLA ever year on top of my 6 figure pension. I will do the math for ya...at least a 3,000 dollars a year raise every year. No haggling over contracts..guaranteed money. I also made over 6% on my drop money . Those were the days, hang in there things will get better for the new guys just wont be great.

Keep thinking the private sector is the cats meow and all your college degrees mean something. Oh and buy the way the Govt. called they want your school payment stat.

Unregistered
    I have respect for LEO, but please stop. Just stop. Enough with the COLA and more money farce. Who get's a guaranteed COLA in their pension every year in the private sector? It's obscene to do this to the taxpayers.
    Who potentially faces bad guys with guns and knives every day in the private sector? They don't. We do. Not apples to apples.

Unregistered
    I thought what they did in Tallahassee was get rid of the retirement COLA for newer FRS participants, but they locked it in for those who started (or vested?) around 2014 or so. I'm really vague because I heard it third hand. Does anyone know?
    In the year 2011, the legislature abolished the COLA for all years of service after 2011. All years of service before that date receive the 3% COLA. For those who have worked before and after 2011, they get a prorated COLA e.g. the COLA gets smaller with each year worked after 2011.

In 2011 when the legislature abolished the COLA, they promised to revisit the issue in 2017 -- but it never happened -- and we are now in 2020.

Unregistered
    Who potentially faces bad guys with guns and knives every day in the private sector? They don't. We do. Not apples to apples.
    Majority of cops go their entire careers never facing that situation. It's not like your stationed in the Bronx.

Cops in high crime areas I'm sympathetic to. However, these LEO's in soft districts, or people in detention don't need COLA.
    You have folks in admin dept (civilians) who get a pension and COLA. Ridiculous.

Unregistered
    HAHAHAHA, LOLOLOLOLOL we do and we deserve every penny. I get my nice 3% COLA ever year on top of my 6 figure pension. I will do the math for ya...at least a 3,000 dollars a year raise every year. No haggling over contracts..guaranteed money. I also made over 6% on my drop money . Those were the days, hang in there things will get better for the new guys just wont be great.

Keep thinking the private sector is the cats meow and all your college degrees mean something. Oh and buy the way the Govt. called they want your school payment stat.
    There's actually a bill in the legislature now that affects the COLA for retirees; Not new guys only, but everyone, including deputies that have been retired for years. In addition, another bill is being circulated that ALL retirees pay 1% to put back into the pension. That's 1% now. You know it will only go up.

Have fun with that. Cheers.

Unregistered
    There's actually a bill in the legislature now that affects the COLA for retirees; Not new guys only, but everyone, including deputies that have been retired for years. In addition, another bill is being circulated that ALL retirees pay 1% to put back into the pension. That's 1% now. You know it will only go up.

Have fun with that. Cheers.
    There have been numerous lawsuits against government pensions, if they attempt to change the terms after retirement, the employee wins in court every time.

Unregistered
    There have been numerous lawsuits against government pensions, if they attempt to change the terms after retirement, the employee wins in court every time.
    That's exactly what everyone said when Scott proposed reducing DROP interest from 6 to 1.3%, and took away the COLA.
    People, including myself, never thought that would happen to the senior deputies.

Unregistered
    That's exactly what everyone said when Scott proposed reducing DROP interest from 6 to 1.3%, and took away the COLA.
    People, including myself, never thought that would happen to the senior deputies.
    Two different sets of facts

Unregistered
    You have folks in admin dept (civilians) who get a pension and COLA. Ridiculous.
    Certified personnel get a multiplier of 3% annually, which comes out to 75% of your base pay at retirement after 25 years.

Civilian personnel get a multiplier of 1.6% annually, which comes out to 48% of their base pay at retirement after 30 years.

Civilians get paid significantly lower AND their retirement pay is fractionally smaller. They deserve every penny they get.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast