SSO take-home vehicle policy

Unregistered

SSO take-home vehicle policy

Here is SPD's take-home vehicle policy (on p58):
    https://www.sarasotafl.gov/home/showdocument?id=4366

Does SSO have a written take-home vehicle policy online?

Unregistered
    The current sheriff has elected to put none of that information online for the public to see. However, you can drive downtown to the SSO records section and you can pay 2 dollars for a CD that has all of the general orders listed on it, to include the vehicle take home policy. No redactions are necessary for the GO CD.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Here is SPD's take-home vehicle policy (on p58):
    https://www.sarasotafl.gov/home/showdocument?id=4366

Does SSO have a written take-home vehicle policy online?
    I think they are working on all GOs going online but the policy is. You may take cars home if you reside up to 10 miles outta county. You can only drive for off duty use if you have intentions of coming back into the county or if you reside in the county you may drive it as much as you want off duty but no family members in marked vehicles. The Sheriff opened it up because many deputies live out of county cheaper taxes and more home for your buck. Most Florida counties allow deputies to drive cars home to surrounding counties. Ours is a little more strict but it is much better than years past to where it was only 4 miles. After a while just like any other job it will wear off and you'll just use it for work and not groceries etc. It becomes a pain because your not really off unless you have an unmarked vehicle.

Unregistered
    It got to the point that I bought another vehicle just so I could get to wherever I was going without having to constantly stop for x60's etc. Too many idiot drivers that think the E on the gas gauge means enough. Not to mention the fact that if someone called to complain about the marked patrol vehicle's "perceived" improper driving, the IA/Staff automatically made negative PMP entries even though the patrol car wasn't doing anything wrong. Just another person that got a ticket and is trying to get the deputy in trouble. And then there's always the proverbial doorbell ringing because someone is lost and has no problem asking for directions while off duty at home. Lastly it identifies my home and family for targets of unappreciative citizens. I'd rather go to the old system of hot seating the car.