Jail to Patrol ?

Unregistered

Jail to Patrol ?

New guy here, about how long does it take to get transferred from the jail to patrol after I submit the paperwork? Human Resources couldn't give me an answer. I plan to put myself through the law enforcement academy once I start at the jail and save up some money. I have heard that some sheriff's departments want new people to work at the jail for a couple of years before they transfer to patrol. Is that how it works here too? Thanks!

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    New guy here, about how long does it take to get transferred from the jail to patrol after I submit the paperwork? Human Resources couldn't give me an answer. I plan to put myself through the law enforcement academy once I start at the jail and save up some money. I have heard that some sheriff's departments want new people to work at the jail for a couple of years before they transfer to patrol. Is that how it works here too? Thanks!
    It's like this. First you'll do two or three years in the jail, until you realize that you hate working in the jail and you'll never be a road deputy. You'll then apply for Pinellas Park, and get hired in about six months. You'll quickly realize that you hate working for Pinellas Park, then reapply to the PCSO for a deputy position. So after about 4-6 years, after the jail and Pinellas Park, you'll be a PCSO road deputy.

Unregistered
    Either put yourself through a cross over academy if you can find one or apply for law enforcement deputy recruit. Cross over is tough while working at the jail but it's temporary. Do a good job and the jail and it will happen.

Unregistered
    In reality, once you get to the jail, it is very hard to get out. This is because of the staffing issue and the agency cannot keep detention deputies. Sarcasm aside, it would be best for you to do the cross over academy, find a larger agency like Pinellas Park, Largo, Clearwater, St. Pete and do a year or two there. Apply back to the SO and you generally will get to the road two to three years quicker than if you try to transfer from the jail.

You also need to consider the seniority issue. I believe there is something about the pay, time in grade come promotion time, and other issues.

Best of luck to you on your career.

Unregistered
    Several people from the jail said the jail is a dead end job and recommended I leave and get certified on my own as soon as possible They also said transferring from the jail to patrol is next to impossible unless I have connections, which I don't. There is also a stigma associated with jail deputies who transfer to patrol so most of them fail the FTO, apparently they are disliked by patrol. Looks like the best advice is for me to get certified on my own, leave the jail and go to another agency to gain some experience. Not sure if I'd want to apply to patrol here since they don't seem to care about career enhancement and development.

Thanks to all for your advice.

Unregistered
    They are full of shit. They want you in the jail, and that's where you will stay until you quit. I am trying to think of something good to say about the jail, but nothing comes to mind

Unregistered
    Several people from the jail said the jail is a dead end job and recommended I leave and get certified on my own as soon as possible They also said transferring from the jail to patrol is next to impossible unless I have connections, which I don't. There is also a stigma associated with jail deputies who transfer to patrol so most of them fail the FTO, apparently they are disliked by patrol. Looks like the best advice is for me to get certified on my own, leave the jail and go to another agency to gain some experience. Not sure if I'd want to apply to patrol hdere since they don't seem to care about career enhancement and development.

Thanks to all for your advice.
    Thats not true. I have worked with excellent deputies that come from corrections. The fact is some of the recent transfers from corrections arent a fit on the road. Its not the same job. That and the quality of the candidates is lacking in many cases because the jail is struggling to keep people. This means theyre taking subpar recruits in the first place.

I think if your heart is in LEO then go LEO. Wait for a self sponsor class or wait for LEO to sponsor. There's not exactly an abundance of people lining up to e cops these days. Do two years anywhere and you can basically go anywhere.

Unregistered
    I see a lot of false information probably from the sour and bitter attitudes of people who think they are entitled. I worked in HR and the real truth is that you can only apply for ONE or the OTHER not both on the same application. Its either LEO DEPUTY RECRUIT or DETENTION DEPUTY RECRUIT. HR does not and has never pushed some one to the detention side, why? because it is YOUR choice. The process is similar and both are available. You can do the detention first if you choose but once you are in it will take at least 3 years to get to the road. There is a cross over academy in Dade City. The thing is after you finish you will take a pay cut if you reach a higher step in detention you will be lowered to step 3 on the patrol side. The BS about the road FTO being hard on guys that come from the jail is just that, BS! No such thing. The guys who came out and went back just couldn't cut it, didn't have what it took. Period. If you want honest answers, don't come on this rag blog. Hope this helps.

Also you might try Hillsborough County. Pay is very similar and they do pay though the academy and have better health benefits for family insurance. A very quick process.

Unregistered
    I see a lot of false information probably from the sour and bitter attitudes of people who think they are entitled. I worked in HR and the real truth is that you can only apply for ONE or the OTHER not both on the same application. Its either LEO DEPUTY RECRUIT or DETENTION DEPUTY RECRUIT. HR does not and has never pushed some one to the detention side, why? because it is YOUR choice. The process is similar and both are available. You can do the detention first if you choose but once you are in it will take at least 3 years to get to the road.

Also you might try Hillsborough County. Pay is very similar and they do pay though the academy and have better health benefits for family insurance. A very quick process.
    I never worked at your agency, but I have been at a large agency for a long time. At our SO, our recruitment section will often offer a recruit a jail position only, even if the candidate meets both jail and toad requirements. We will then tell the candidate to pound sand if they won’t take the jail position.

Also, try TPD. I believe it’s the best agency in the Tampa Bay Area.

Unregistered
    I think will leave the jail as soon as I can because it is a dead end job, take the law enforcement academy, then apply at various agencies. As far as re-applying here, that remains to be seen when I compare the benefits, especially the required tenure to get a pension. Thank you all for the advice.