Privatizing detention update - Page 3
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Yep, I heard the same thing from Benny, I was told to keep it quiet but apparently it’s leaked out. The only thing different is I heard the name is corrections corporation.
    I spoke to the mayor of Weston yesterday, he’s going to have Wakenhut Patrol the city. They are more professional than BSO and don’t shit them self’s at the sound of a car backfire!

Unregistered
    How does selling out to a "for profit" company save money?
    Mostly through savings on benefits and retirement contributions for employees.

Unregistered
    I spoke to the mayor of Weston yesterday, he’s going to have Wakenhut Patrol the city. They are more professional than BSO and don’t shit them self’s at the sound of a car backfire!
    Wackenhut can not enforce the law in Weston, as none of their personnel are sworn LEOs under state law. They could not even stop a traffic violator and almost any detention they made, of a citizen, would be a criminal offense. Weston would have to institute their own LEA [police department]. They could do this, if they chose, but would have to assume all liability for that agency's actions.

Unregistered
    It’s okay my little wind breaking wearing turn key, calm down. You wont get fired immediately but the time is coming sooner than later. I hope you saved your money and didn’t buy those 22” rims your mother told you not to buy.

Unregistered
    It’s okay my little wind breaking wearing turn key, calm down. You wont get fired immediately but the time is coming sooner than later. I hope you saved your money and didn’t buy those 22” rims your mother told you not to buy.
    I know it's a typo but you accidentally described the very "diverse" jailers as wind breaking turn keys. Describes the stank and greasy command staff to a T. Lololol

Unregistered
    Will be great to see the jailers gone.

Unregistered
    You people are morons. Privatizing the jails isn't even up to Tony. It is solely in the hands of the county commission. It is their jails. They are responsible for running them by law. The jail is like a contract city. We only run it because the county commission contracts with us to run it. Don't believe this stupidity from a few troublemakers. Talk to FOPE if you have any questions.

Unregistered
    Time for the jailers to go

Unregistered
    You people are morons. Privatizing the jails isn't even up to Tony. It is solely in the hands of the county commission. It is their jails. They are responsible for running them by law. The jail is like a contract city. We only run it because the county commission contracts with us to run it. Don't believe this stupidity from a few troublemakers. Talk to FOPE if you have any questions.
    Wrong again! Sheriff decides how the jails are run.
    This statute gives him authority to subcontract out to whoever he wants to.

951.061 Designation of sheriff as chief correctional officer; duties.—
    (1) Upon adoption of an ordinance by a majority of the county commission, the sheriff may be designated the chief correctional officer of the county correctional system, and the sheriff shall appoint such officers as he or she deems necessary.
    (2) If designated, the sheriff or his or her designee shall enforce all existing state law concerning the operation and maintenance of county jails.
    (3) The salaries for county correctional officers shall be paid from the general revenue fund of the county and shall be included by the sheriff, if designated as chief correctional officer of the county, in his or her proposed budget of expenditures for the maintenance and operation of the county correctional system as provided in s. 30.49.
    History.—s. 3, ch. 86-183; s. 30, ch. 96-312; s. 1879, ch. 97-102.
    Copyright © 1995-2020 The Florida Legislature • Privacy Statement • Contact Us

Unregistered
    While the county jail is the responsibility of the County Commission, the Sheriff is the designated corrections officer for the county. However, being a constitutional officer, he does not have to accept that post, in which case he does not have to assume responsibility for the jails. Would the current sheriff notify the commission that he was relinquishing control of the jail? Who knows. But, probably not.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast