Privatizing detention update - Page 4
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    While the county jail is the responsibility of the County Commission, the Sheriff is the designated corrections officer for the county. However, being a constitutional officer, he does not have to accept that post, in which case he does not have to assume responsibility for the jails. Would the current sheriff notify the commission that he was relinquishing control of the jail? Who knows. But, probably not.
    So you’re saying that if the Sheriff set this deal up with Corrections Corp to save the county 80 or 90 million dollars a year, then resigned his duties as designated corrections officer for Broward...

Uh ohhh I guess the FOPE wasn’t brought into that loop.

Unregistered
    Will PDQ still give me free food in the Corrections Corp uniform? If the answer is yes, I’m ok with it.

Unregistered
    You people are morons. Privatizing the jails isn't even up to Tony. It is solely in the hands of the county commission. It is their jails. They are responsible for running them by law. The jail is like a contract city. We only run it because the county commission contracts with us to run it. Don't believe this stupidity from a few troublemakers. Talk to FOPE if you have any questions.
    Another jailer moron. Doesn’t even know the sheriff runs the jails. The idea of the county commission running the jails has been spoken about for many years, but it never came to fruition.

Hey dumbfu** whats 2+2?

Unregistered
    I can’t take this kinda pay cut!! It’s not fair to do this behind everybody’s backs. Did the FOPE get lied to or have they been lying to us???
    Do we keep our pension?

Unregistered
    I can’t take this kinda pay cut!! It’s not fair to do this behind everybody’s backs. Did the FOPE get lied to or have they been lying to us???
    Do we keep our pension?
    Until this is proven true, you don’t have to worry about it. It’s probably BS.

Unregistered
    Do we keep our pension?
    Your pension will be frozen if you are vested. If you are not vested you better go to another FRS job. I hear they are looking for some ball and sack washer’s you jailers are god for that...Good luck sucka’s you been lied too big time.

Unregistered
    Wrong again! Sheriff decides how the jails are run.
    This statute gives him authority to subcontract out to whoever he wants to.

951.061 Designation of sheriff as chief correctional officer; duties.—
    (1) Upon adoption of an ordinance by a majority of the county commission, the sheriff may be designated the chief correctional officer of the county correctional system, and the sheriff shall appoint such officers as he or she deems necessary.
    (2) If designated, the sheriff or his or her designee shall enforce all existing state law concerning the operation and maintenance of county jails.
    (3) The salaries for county correctional officers shall be paid from the general revenue fund of the county and shall be included by the sheriff, if designated as chief correctional officer of the county, in his or her proposed budget of expenditures for the maintenance and operation of the county correctional system as provided in s. 30.49.
    History.—s. 3, ch. 86-183; s. 30, ch. 96-312; s. 1879, ch. 97-102.
    Copyright © 1995-2020 The Florida Legislature • Privacy Statement • Contact Us
    No go back and read section (1) again. All the county commission needs to do is rescind their designation and they - not BSO - are running the jails. That is why privatization will never happen.

Unregistered
    As a taxpayer I'd rather the jails become privatized. I do not want to continue paying the salaries and benefits of people who work in jails. Go pay for your own pension. What is the demographic of employees that work in the jail?

Unregistered
    privatization hits the airwaves every so often.its not going to happen

Unregistered
    Privatize the jails! No need for taxpayers to pay the load. Jails? Yes. But, no reason it can’t be privatized.

Plus, you’ll get employees with a higher IQ than what works there now.
    Shut up with this nonsense we need out BSO correction deputies. More fake news

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast