CIP Assistant Director Exposes Ortiz !!

Unregistered

CIP Assistant Director Exposes Ortiz !!

Miami cop accused of racism can’t credibly claim to be black for his own convenience | Opinion

During the Jan. 17 Miami Commission meeting, residents got a front row seat to the unraveling of City of Miami Police Captain Javier Ortiz. At this meeting, Ortiz asserted that, among other things, he is a black male. In support of this claim, he cited the “one drop” rule, an outdated legal and social concept deeply rooted in discriminatory racial classifications. This assertion should offend all of us that call Miami home.

Ortiz said that when he applied at the Miami Police Department, “I think I put white male” and, possibly, Hispanic.

Ortiz’s assertion that he is a black man is simply another pathetic ploy to weasel out of misconduct, as his claim to being black only surfaced when it was required for a promotional exam. Those of us who remember the Rachel Dolezal controversy from a few years back can see some parallels, yet with some notable differences.

As assistant director of Miami’s Civilian Investigative Panel, I have seen and investigated situations with Ortiz, such as displaying pictures of arrested minorities on his social-media pages, while appearing to be mocking the person in custody. He harassed one community member who eventually went to court to seek a restraining order. His actions have gone from bad to catastrophic.

Some may say that Ortiz can identify himself however he wants. But this argument blatantly ignores the plight of black people in America. Being black, especially in Miami, encompasses more than just the color of one’s skin — which is why it stings so much to see another appropriate the black race for convenience.

Put simply: Being black in Miami is more than just the realization of a few genotypes on a 23 and Me test. It’s experiencing the pain and turmoil of McDuffie. It is marching with H.T. Smith in support of Nelson Mandela. It’s years of oppression at the 480 NW 11th St. precinct, where black police officer were segregated. It’s understanding that “Pork and Beans” isn’t a meal served cold. It’s the feeling you get when you’re stopped by a police car in the dead of night. It’s being a black police officer and forcing yourself to “be blue” in order to survive in the profession. It’s understanding “a world more concrete” may exclude you, no matter your accomplishments, intelligence or charm. It’s having to stage protests to attain the basic functions of life.

All of these experiences, and countless others, are central to blackness.

Therefore, it is incumbent upon me and others to stand up and say that blackness is not for sale. It is not given to the highest bidder or to the expedient to avoid accountability. It is not a get-out-of-jail-free card, a recipe for supreme athleticism or some extra points on an exam.

In America, blackness invokes no privileges. Rather to be black in America is a constant state of frustration. Yet against insurmountable odds we persist and make it beautiful.

Ortiz’s claim that he is a black man is disrespectful and intellectually irresponsible. This incident foretells a dark chapter in our city’s history. It demonstrates that some who have been trusted to protect and serve will go to any length to avoid accountability for misconduct. It is clear that this “bad apple” can’t be trusted, not only because of his recent appropriation of blackness, but because of his lengthy paper trail of community complaints. He should not be trusted with a gun or have the privilege of wearing a badge in the city of Miami Police Department.

I often hear: “Rodney, don’t investigate the entire department for a few bad apples.” Well, I won’t, but in this case, I think we have found one.

Rodney W. Jacobs Jr. is assistant director of the city of Miami Civilian Investigative Panel.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/...#storylink=cpy

Unregistered
    Excellent writing!!!!!!!

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Miami cop accused of racism can’t credibly claim to be black for his own convenience | Opinion

During the Jan. 17 Miami Commission meeting, residents got a front row seat to the unraveling of City of Miami Police Captain Javier Ortiz. At this meeting, Ortiz asserted that, among other things, he is a black male. In support of this claim, he cited the “one drop” rule, an outdated legal and social concept deeply rooted in discriminatory racial classifications. This assertion should offend all of us that call Miami home.

Ortiz said that when he applied at the Miami Police Department, “I think I put white male” and, possibly, Hispanic.

Ortiz’s assertion that he is a black man is simply another pathetic ploy to weasel out of misconduct, as his claim to being black only surfaced when it was required for a promotional exam. Those of us who remember the Rachel Dolezal controversy from a few years back can see some parallels, yet with some notable differences.

As assistant director of Miami’s Civilian Investigative Panel, I have seen and investigated situations with Ortiz, such as displaying pictures of arrested minorities on his social-media pages, while appearing to be mocking the person in custody. He harassed one community member who eventually went to court to seek a restraining order. His actions have gone from bad to catastrophic.

Some may say that Ortiz can identify himself however he wants. But this argument blatantly ignores the plight of black people in America. Being black, especially in Miami, encompasses more than just the color of one’s skin — which is why it stings so much to see another appropriate the black race for convenience.

Put simply: Being black in Miami is more than just the realization of a few genotypes on a 23 and Me test. It’s experiencing the pain and turmoil of McDuffie. It is marching with H.T. Smith in support of Nelson Mandela. It’s years of oppression at the 480 NW 11th St. precinct, where black police officer were segregated. It’s understanding that “Pork and Beans” isn’t a meal served cold. It’s the feeling you get when you’re stopped by a police car in the dead of night. It’s being a black police officer and forcing yourself to “be blue” in order to survive in the profession. It’s understanding “a world more concrete” may exclude you, no matter your accomplishments, intelligence or charm. It’s having to stage protests to attain the basic functions of life.

All of these experiences, and countless others, are central to blackness.

Therefore, it is incumbent upon me and others to stand up and say that blackness is not for sale. It is not given to the highest bidder or to the expedient to avoid accountability. It is not a get-out-of-jail-free card, a recipe for supreme athleticism or some extra points on an exam.

In America, blackness invokes no privileges. Rather to be black in America is a constant state of frustration. Yet against insurmountable odds we persist and make it beautiful.

Ortiz’s claim that he is a black man is disrespectful and intellectually irresponsible. This incident foretells a dark chapter in our city’s history. It demonstrates that some who have been trusted to protect and serve will go to any length to avoid accountability for misconduct. It is clear that this “bad apple” can’t be trusted, not only because of his recent appropriation of blackness, but because of his lengthy paper trail of community complaints. He should not be trusted with a gun or have the privilege of wearing a badge in the city of Miami Police Department.

I often hear: “Rodney, don’t investigate the entire department for a few bad apples.” Well, I won’t, but in this case, I think we have found one.

Rodney W. Jacobs Jr. is assistant director of the city of Miami Civilian Investigative Panel.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/...#storylink=cpy
    Unfortunately there are "bad apples" everywhere, even in the Civilian Investigative Panel. That's why LEO's are reluctant to go there for "fair justice." You sir, happen to be one of them.

Unregistered
    No I don’t agree with you. We don’t go because people like Ortiz telling us never go there. Ortiz is a bad apple that several Chief didn’t have the courage to solve the problem.

Unregistered
    Actually the CIP has bad apples. Both investigators

Unregistered
    Just cause Javi say so we are going to believe it.

Unregistered
    Board members Director and asst Director they all hate the cops and your guilty till well your still just guilty because you wear a badge.

Unregistered
    Board members Director and asst Director they all hate the cops and your guilty till well your still just guilty because you wear a badge.
    No Javi if they find people guilty it’s because a lot of other issues. But if they would take the time and respond with an attorney just like you did and give their side of the story maybe they can explain some of the stuff.

Regardless you have a lot of sh.t on your plate to worry about Like the motorcycle cover up and the double dipping. Thank you for clearing up that your a black non hispanic man only for promotional exams.

Can’t believe that you threw Destephan under the bus

Unregistered
    Look up in Google Broward county State Attorneys office Brady list.

Unregistered
    Bro, don't lie. They actually clear some of us before IA does. They spend more time on DO issues than on complaint cases. Ortiz lied to all of you. Dont be stupid, go to the CIP, if you got nothing to hide and did no wrong then they got your back.