Pinellas Park hires ex PCSO Deputy.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unregistered

Pinellas Park hires ex PCSO Deputy.

From the PPPD Facebook Page:

Pinellas Park Police Department
    December 23, 2019 at 8:15 AM ·
    On Friday Chief Haworth and staff welcomed the newest member of our family.

Police Officer Derek Shortt joins the Pinellas Park Police Department after starting his career with the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office. Please join us in welcoming Officer Shortt as he begins the next chapter in his law enforcement career.

Did Haworth really have to point out that he started with PCSO? I'm sure his intent was to show that PPPD is such a great agency, that a deputy would leave PCSO to work for him. In reality, I'm sure that Shortt probably came out of the jail and it is easier to get hired by PPPD, then to get out to the road at PCSO. I'm sure, like many others have done, Shortt will get a year or two in, and either go back to PCSO or go somewhere else. Am I wrong?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    From the PPPD Facebook Page:

Pinellas Park Police Department
    December 23, 2019 at 8:15 AM ·
    On Friday Chief Haworth and staff welcomed the newest member of our family.

Police Officer Derek Shortt joins the Pinellas Park Police Department after starting his career with the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office. Please join us in welcoming Officer Shortt as he begins the next chapter in his law enforcement career.

Did Haworth really have to point out that he started with PCSO? I'm sure his intent was to show that PPPD is such a great agency, that a deputy would leave PCSO to work for him. In reality, I'm sure that Shortt probably came out of the jail and it is easier to get hired by PPPD, then to get out to the road at PCSO. I'm sure, like many others have done, Shortt will get a year or two in, and either go back to PCSO or go somewhere else. Am I wrong?
    A lot of assumptions here.

It is possible that this officer came from the jail. Many, if not most, corrections officers are shunted off to corrections as the jails are usually as short, personnel wise, as LE is. They are usually promised a road patrol position within a year or two and, when it is not forthcoming, they jump to another agency. This is pretty normal.

Unregistered
    A lot of assumptions here.

It is possible that this officer came from the jail. Many, if not most, corrections officers are shunted off to corrections as the jails are usually as short, personnel wise, as LE is. They are usually promised a road patrol position within a year or two and, when it is not forthcoming, they jump to another agency. This is pretty normal.
    It's standard procedure for HR to try to direct patrol applicants with no connections towards the jail academy, promising them that within 2 years they can go to patrol. What a load of BS! Lt. K aka "Silver Fox" former bagel baker from NY was very good at this. If they take the bait they cannot get LEO certified while working 12s at the jail, so they have to either quit and put themselves through full time LEO academy or apply at another agency willing to hire non-LEO certified. One Greek jailer who came from CPID and was tight with GS put himself through the LEO academy but used up all his sick and vacation time in the process. Anyway, after they get trained by other agencies and get cruiser time, some return to PCSO.

Unregistered
    It's standard procedure for HR to try to direct patrol applicants with no connections towards the jail academy, promising them that within 2 years they can go to patrol. What a load of BS! Lt. K aka "Silver Fox" former bagel baker from NY was very good at this. If they take the bait they cannot get LEO certified while working 12s at the jail, so they have to either quit and put themselves through full time LEO academy or apply at another agency willing to hire non-LEO certified. One Greek jailer who came from CPID and was tight with GS put himself through the LEO academy but used up all his sick and vacation time in the process. Anyway, after they get trained by other agencies and get cruiser time, some return to PCSO.
    Wait, he used his own time to go to the academy? What’s the problem. It’s his time. More sad 😢 miserable jailers.

Unregistered
    Wait, he used his own time to go to the academy? What’s the problem. It’s his time. More sad 😢 miserable jailers.
    Other than lying about being sick and abusing sick time, no problems. They did not send a cruiser to check and see if he was really home sick either, like they do for everyone else. GS took care of him.

If you are a jailer and not friends with GS you can't get through the LEO academy unless you can sleep 4 hours a day and be a zombie at the jail and in class, and graduate.

Unregistered
    Ummm? Then don’t get a job as a jailer if you want to be a cop. Two different careers. No one forces you to accept a job in DDC. That’s like letting Army sway you into service as a clerk with the promise of being a soldier. You accepted the wrong job and believed a transfer was guaranteed. Stupid.

Unregistered
    Ummm? Then don’t get a job as a jailer if you want to be a cop.
    Why not? I know a lot of Deputies who started out in the jail and went on to become good road Deps. If an agency offers you a foot in the door as a jailer and no other agencies are beating down your door, take it. Then after a year or two, go to a sh!t hole like PPPD, then return to the SO after another year. It's pretty simple actually.

Unregistered
    Ummm? Then don’t get a job as a jailer if you want to be a cop. Two different careers. No one forces you to accept a job in DDC. That’s like letting Army sway you into service as a clerk with the promise of being a soldier. You accepted the wrong job and believed a transfer was guaranteed. Stupid.
    The problem is with the lies they feed LEO applicants about the ease of the D&C to Patrol transfer. It's total BS designed to put bodies on the already short-staffed jail floors. They never mentioned that once you are in D&C you are stuck there and the only way to transfer to the LEO side is to quit, put yourself through the LEO academy, go to SPPD or PPPD to get some training , then re-apply here. It's a dysfunctional system.

Unregistered
    The problem is with the lies they feed LEO applicants about the ease of the D&C to Patrol transfer. It's total BS designed to put bodies on the already short-staffed jail floors. They never mentioned that once you are in D&C you are stuck there and the only way to transfer to the LEO side is to quit, put yourself through the LEO academy, go to SPPD or PPPD to get some training , then re-apply here. It's a dysfunctional system.
    If it's good enough for the might Sheriff, he figures it's good enough for others. He started in the jail, went to Dunedin PD, then came back to the road here. So I guess he figures if he could do it, he might as well make others do it.

Unregistered
    If it's good enough for the might Sheriff, he figures it's good enough for others. He started in the jail, went to Dunedin PD, then came back to the road here. So I guess he figures if he could do it, he might as well make others do it.
    Most come out of the jail. Can’t make it through FTO and go back to the jail.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast