When you need back up the most, no one shows up
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unregistered

When you need back up the most, no one shows up

During the course of a long career here, you work with hundreds of people. Your were squad mates, Narcs, Detectives, support staff. You spend most of your life working with these people. Some you are friends with, many are just co-workers, but you are willing to risk your life for each other. Why is it that we can't seem to find the time to visit these people when they get very ill or in a terminal condition, and are here locally? I can only imagine its like all hell is breaking loose, and theres no backup, your on your own. By taking a little time out of your life to visit these people , the families, and the member can confront their fates, knowing that they aren't alone, and people cared about them. I'll bet you will feel better about yourself for doing it.

Unregistered
    Most positive and spot on post ever ⬆️⬆️. Valid point. It should happen more often.

Unregistered
    The sad truth is that 99% of people you work with are just work friends not real ones.
    Others have darker motives for being friends with people

Unregistered
    Can’t speak for everyone but I think one of our coping mechanisms in this job is to ignore. Going to funerals, visiting old friends who are terminally ill etc are emotionally taxing and some may feel like they just can’t do it......The job was enough, we don’t want any more emotional baggage. Just my .02

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    The sad truth is that 99% of people you work with are just work friends not real ones.
    It's true. Your are lucky if you end up with 2-3 people you can rely on off-duty or after you retire.

Unregistered
    That's very insightful of you.

Unregistered
    The backstabbing is even worse the higher up you go, as everyone is jockeying for political power to benefit themselves.

Unregistered
    Yea, can be hard on you, no doubt. Imagine how hard it is to know your days away from dying, and no one made it by to see you? Funerals and memorials are for the living. If you know that member and they know you, try to make the time to go by and see them.

Unregistered
    It's not how many friends you have, but what kind of people you have. Make time for them, spend time with them. They won't be around forever.

Unregistered
    I have recently spent countless hours at the bedside of a friend that is terminally ill that does not have much longer to live. They have nobody else. It is not a task for the weak. It is very taxing and emotionally draining. You see the fear. The depression and sadness. You try and stay positive, but you both know there is no hope. While they may want someone to acknowledge that they once meant something to these people that may or may not come to visit, the visits are tough on them too. They see people looking at them with that look. The way you look at someone when you know it is probably the last time you will see them alive. Most people can't take it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast