Vetting Sheriff Candidates for the 2020 election

Senior Member LEO Affairs Captain

Question Vetting Sheriff Candidates for the 2020 election

I am planning on hosting a few meet and greets for the 2020 election including the #SheriffRace. Currently, there are only two candidates: Kurt Hoffman and Paul Fern. My personal focus on vetting candidates will be character, committment to Open Government as a means to reinstate Public Trust in our government through accountability and equal justice. Thus, restoring trust and faith in Law enforcement is paramount. While Character should be Qualification 1 for Sheriff.. what if both candidates are of equal character?

Please help the public make the best choice for Sheriff and provide your serious feedback on this thread. I have limited first hand knowledge on both candidates, and I am certain the public has even less information. Maybe Hoffman is the right choice, or maybe it is time for fresh perspectives that Fern may provide. What say you all that live it on a daily basis?

1. What are the top 3 characteristics the public should seek in the Sheriff candidates?

2. What 3 questions would you ask each of the Sheriff candidates?

3. What are your opinions on each of the candidates.. preferably with verifiable reasonings. I am all about 'Trust but Verify'. Any leads on pertinent public records requests that might provide insight would be greatly appreciated.

Happy New Year!

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Gibson View Post
    Date: Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 4:43 PM
    Subject: Your request
    To:*carlos.munoz@heraldtribune.com*<carlos.munoz@h eraldtribune.com>

Carlos,

For more than 17 years, the Sheriff’s Office has been invited to attend the Sarasota Cattlemen’s Association annual meeting and dinner held at the Carlton Ranch. This was NOT a political event and there were NO political comments made nor have*there been in the 5 years I have been attending. *

The association specifically requested a law enforcement update at this meeting as they do each year. You can confirm that with Lisa Carlton. I spoke about our commitment to east county residents and introduced our newest Animal Services lieutenant*to the association and publicly thanked our Agricultural Unit for their work. The sheriff’s office Agricultural Unit presented their report to the association on agricultural crimes and specific animal issues they were dealing with. Usually the Sheriff or*I attend at the association’s request and in some years the Sheriff and I have both attended together. The helicopter has been part of a static display at this event for many years.*

As with any static display event the helicopter is ready and available to answer any calls for service that may arise. The pilots are there to do any Q and A with association members much like they do with the 20+ other static displays during*the course of the year. National Night Out, Citizens Law Enforcement Academy (CLEA), Nokomis Area Civic Association (NACA) and our Sheriff’s Office Annual Open House are a few examples. Mr. Brodsky came with me to this meeting and spoke to the association*about his office’s commitment to prosecuting crimes that impact the agricultural community. In years past other county officials have traveled in the helicopter to this event. Emergency Services Director Rich Collins attended in 2018. As we left the event*the pilot answered first a missing persons call and then backed up a deputy on a reckless driver call before returning to the airport. I made a joke that we went “around the town” because in actuality we answered two calls for service in Sarasota and remained*with the aircraft while they flew to each call as I have also done in the past. I believe our Community Affairs Director, Mrs. Perez, has already provided you the hourly cost of the helicopter. The helicopter will be flying patrol regardless of this event*so when you say “on duty” helicopter of course it’s on duty as evidenced by the calls handled and the static display. I have not been in the helicopter since last years annual meeting. Frankly, I wish I had more time to fly with them than just occasionally.*I learn something about our capabilities and equipment every time I fly with them. This has nothing to do with my campaign and I have never used the helicopter for my campaign. If the Sheriffs Office is invited back next year, and I presume we will, I am sure*the Aviation and Agricultural Units will attend.*

Thanks,

Kurt

Political advertisement paid for and approved by Kurt A. Hoffman, Republican for Sarasota County Sheriff.
    POLITICAL MOTIVE: The Cattleman's Association is historically coveted and everybody wants their political endorsement, especially Kurt Hoffman.

PLANNED EXECUTION: Kurt Hoffman wanted to "fly in" on the chopper, as a grand entrance and a specticle to behold, as if he is Prince Charles, his royal highness, the savior in person... and then "fly out" as a grand exit that is fit for a presidential candidate that is surrounded by his security detail. LOL

REALITY: Kurt Hoffman is juicing his on-duty status for the upcoming election.

Pay no attention to the tiny man operating the levers behind the curtain!!!