Vetting Sheriff Candidates for the 2020 election - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Gibson View Post
    Back to the intention of the thread.. the #SheriffRace.

From poster above: Wrong person gets in as sheriff, which he will, then things will stay the same of wait maybe even get worse as far as our relations with the county."

Can you be more specific here please? I have heard this sentiment expressed many times before. What do we need to improve with the Sheriff? Where are the pain points? If yall wont share it, how can the public help drum your cause during the election cycle? As stated on the SCSO site, kind of speaks for itself. I have spoken to many police officials from other parts of the state who say most of the depts. from Bradenton, manatee south are run by the good old boys and mostly are run by leaders who terrorize the troops, SCSO is one such dept named. As you know the façade that is the public perception is not always the truth. NPPD is another such dept, although it has made strives, the boys are still running the show. SPD is a political mess. PGPD, well same applies. Charlotte County ditto. Change is certainly needed in Sarasota County. Although NP is considered a bedroom community, we can no longer afford the unlimited funds required to maintain it. The Sheriff has sole constitutional authority in the state and the county. As it is now, there is little SCSO presence in south county. They pass thru daily and many live in NP. There is a huge duplication of services which could be shared, if the right Sheriff gets in. Traffic, SWAT, narcotics, warrants etc. Same situation in SPD, Marin Luth king blvd, SPD cannot cross the street to make an arrest, one side county, one side city, same applies in certain areas of NP. The deputies can go anywhere they want, where the city PD is limited to the invisible fence that constitutes there geographical location.

The county has and can afford to hire more deputies to patrol south county. More needs to be done to straighten out prisoner transport, which would free up patrols. A new sheriff with a fresh non political perspective is certainly a plus. We know Jonathan still has his tentacles on NP, so things will probably stay the same.
    Where is all this money that you're taling about? Please remember that current Sheriff Tom Knight said that we could not afford to maintain South County services, so he closed down the Venice jail, and then closed down the D3 District HQ (at 776 & 41). Municipalities are typically formed because they can provide a higher level of services. Under the current tax structure, it is impossible for SSO to hire enough deputies to patrol the City of North Port.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Where is all this money that you're taling about? Please remember that current Sheriff Tom Knight said that we could not afford to maintain South County services, so he closed down the Venice jail, and then closed down the D3 District HQ (at 776 & 41). Municipalities are typically formed because they can provide a higher level of services. Under the current tax structure, it is impossible for SSO to hire enough deputies to patrol the City of North Port.
    The closure of the south county facilities was political in nature, not fiscal. The current sheriff had no interest in south county. First NP is incorporated, thus has to have its own services, but many of those services are duplicated by the county. just an example animal control, NP eliminated animal control and now pays the county to do it. Despite what you might read, deputies are in NP daily, anyone who drives 41 or sumter/Toledo or 75 can see this. Yes some live here which supports my argument.We as a city receive very little if any of the fine money collected on traffic tickets, certainly not even close to what it costs the taxpayers in vehicle, manpower etc, county already provides this service thus a huge waste of taxpayers monies to support traffic enforcement when all patrol vehs already have dual front and rear radar. County SWAT is one of the best in the state . Years ago the county had a point system to respond and refused to respond on incidents like suicide by cop, barricade family matters etc, so NPPD had to make due. The screw up in the fatal shooting of an armed taxpayer changed that. Used to be NPPD was given deputy authority but the current sheriff wanted NPPD to assume all liability for any of there screw ups and thus took away that authority, this is why there is an invisible fence on the incorporated city boundary's. This county is one of the fiscally richest counties in Florida, The sheriff is constitutional he would get what he wants, its just that simple. Can there be shared service in all depts., there already is. Remember we already pay NP taxes but we also pay for the sheriffs protection in our county taxes. Don't forget the new 40 million station, coming soon !!!! guess who is paying for that ????

Unregistered

Question

The closure of the south county facilities was political in nature, not fiscal. The current sheriff had no interest in south county. First NP is incorporated, thus has to have its own services, but many of those services are duplicated by the county. just an example animal control, NP eliminated animal control and now pays the county to do it. Despite what you might read, deputies are in NP daily, anyone who drives 41 or sumter/Toledo or 75 can see this. Yes some live here which supports my argument.We as a city receive very little if any of the fine money collected on traffic tickets, certainly not even close to what it costs the taxpayers in vehicle, manpower etc, county already provides this service thus a huge waste of taxpayers monies to support traffic enforcement when all patrol vehs already have dual front and rear radar. County SWAT is one of the best in the state . Years ago the county had a point system to respond and refused to respond on incidents like suicide by cop, barricade family matters etc, so NPPD had to make due. The screw up in the fatal shooting of an armed taxpayer changed that. Used to be NPPD was given deputy authority but the current sheriff wanted NPPD to assume all liability for any of there screw ups and thus took away that authority, this is why there is an invisible fence on the incorporated city boundary's. This county is one of the fiscally richest counties in Florida, The sheriff is constitutional he would get what he wants, its just that simple. Can there be shared service in all depts., there already is. Remember we already pay NP taxes but we also pay for the sheriffs protection in our county taxes. Don't forget the new 40 million station, coming soon !!!! guess who is paying for that ????
    You said quite a bit without really making a point of any sort. What is your point?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Gibson View Post
    Date: Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 4:43 PM
    Subject: Your request
    To:*carlos.munoz@heraldtribune.com*<carlos.munoz@h eraldtribune.com>

Carlos,

For more than 17 years, the Sheriff’s Office has been invited to attend the Sarasota Cattlemen’s Association annual meeting and dinner held at the Carlton Ranch. This was NOT a political event and there were NO political comments made nor have*there been in the 5 years I have been attending. *

The association specifically requested a law enforcement update at this meeting as they do each year. You can confirm that with Lisa Carlton. I spoke about our commitment to east county residents and introduced our newest Animal Services lieutenant*to the association and publicly thanked our Agricultural Unit for their work. The sheriff’s office Agricultural Unit presented their report to the association on agricultural crimes and specific animal issues they were dealing with. Usually the Sheriff or*I attend at the association’s request and in some years the Sheriff and I have both attended together. The helicopter has been part of a static display at this event for many years.*

As with any static display event the helicopter is ready and available to answer any calls for service that may arise. The pilots are there to do any Q and A with association members much like they do with the 20+ other static displays during*the course of the year. National Night Out, Citizens Law Enforcement Academy (CLEA), Nokomis Area Civic Association (NACA) and our Sheriff’s Office Annual Open House are a few examples. Mr. Brodsky came with me to this meeting and spoke to the association*about his office’s commitment to prosecuting crimes that impact the agricultural community. In years past other county officials have traveled in the helicopter to this event. Emergency Services Director Rich Collins attended in 2018. As we left the event*the pilot answered first a missing persons call and then backed up a deputy on a reckless driver call before returning to the airport. I made a joke that we went “around the town” because in actuality we answered two calls for service in Sarasota and remained*with the aircraft while they flew to each call as I have also done in the past. I believe our Community Affairs Director, Mrs. Perez, has already provided you the hourly cost of the helicopter. The helicopter will be flying patrol regardless of this event*so when you say “on duty” helicopter of course it’s on duty as evidenced by the calls handled and the static display. I have not been in the helicopter since last years annual meeting. Frankly, I wish I had more time to fly with them than just occasionally.*I learn something about our capabilities and equipment every time I fly with them. This has nothing to do with my campaign and I have never used the helicopter for my campaign. If the Sheriffs Office is invited back next year, and I presume we will, I am sure*the Aviation and Agricultural Units will attend.*

Thanks,

Kurt

Political advertisement paid for and approved by Kurt A. Hoffman, Republican for Sarasota County Sheriff.
    POLITICAL MOTIVE: The Cattleman's Association is historically coveted and everybody wants their political endorsement, especially Kurt Hoffman.

PLANNED EXECUTION: Kurt Hoffman wanted to "fly in" on the chopper, as a grand entrance and a specticle to behold, as if he is Prince Charles, his royal highness, the savior in person... and then "fly out" as a grand exit that is fit for a presidential candidate that is surrounded by his security detail. LOL

REALITY: Kurt Hoffman is juicing his on-duty status for the upcoming election.

Pay no attention to the tiny man operating the levers behind the curtain!!!

Unregistered
    Elect FERN!! Cause Hoffman is a puss

Unregistered
    Why don't you ask your ex cop friend bully in the North port complainers group . He seems to have all the answers along with the other wacked out six of you. Val now that is a real treat. I am sure the know it all ex cop bully and the rest of you have it all figured out. You all should be ashamed of yourself the way you talk to others. The retired cop must have been a real piece of work in his day. Now he is a know it all old man who needs his ass kicked. The intelligence of all of you is sickening. You all ate sick puppies that are making North Port look like the shit hole it has always been . With hillbilly, backwoods whack jobs. Oh tell the ex cop bully that he does not rule the budget. Sometimes the police can not have all the toys because he thinks so. He needs his ass kicked along with Val. All of you are sick puppies. By the way your group most certainly is a hate group and should have been shut down long ago. The way you let your pals bully and name call in that group just goes to show the lowlife you and your followers are, I hear Karma is a *****. .

Unregistered
    Why don't you ask your ex cop friend bully in the North port complainers group . He seems to have all the answers along with the other wacked out six of you. Val now that is a real treat. I am sure the know it all ex cop bully and the rest of you have it all figured out. You all should be ashamed of yourself the way you talk to others. The retired cop must have been a real piece of work in his day. Now he is a know it all old man who needs his ass kicked. The intelligence of all of you is sickening. You all ate sick puppies that are making North Port look like the shit hole it has always been . With hillbilly, backwoods whack jobs. Oh tell the ex cop bully that he does not rule the budget. Sometimes the police can not have all the toys because he thinks so. He needs his ass kicked along with Val. All of you are sick puppies. By the way your group most certainly is a hate group and should have been shut down long ago. The way you let your pals bully and name call in that group just goes to show the lowlife you and your followers are, I hear Karma is a *****. .
    Uh nobody knows wtf you are talking about. What ex cop bully? Why don’t you just go kick his ass? I am sure you know where he is or are you a *****?

Unregistered
    Uh nobody knows wtf you are talking about. What ex cop bully? Why don’t you just go kick his ass? I am sure you know where he is or are you a *****?
    What’s his name. I am certain he won’t file a complaint on you for a little sparing match someplace, perhaps at the gym? Don’t be such a puss and just call him seeing as you are so perfect and all. I think it’s called “self righteous”. Do you know how to get ahold of him? Let me know his name and I will arrange the”practice sanctioned match”.

Unregistered
    Oh believe me half the town knows along with the perpetrator.

Unregistered
    Wow what a ***** you are. Talking **** on a page anonymously. Grow a set and go to him personally. My money is on anyone of my brothers rather than a keyboard warrior hiding on the I-Net. At least he doesn’t belong to that other FB Page in North Port with the biggest loser in town running it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast