Hiring tips
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hiring tips

Unregistered

Hiring tips

I'm a recent college grad and I'm interested in applying for CGPD. I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips or what I should expect when it comes to the hiring process. Also, how's CGPD as a department?

Unregistered
    Coral Gables used to be a great department. Is it horrible now? Not really, but you can do much, much better. First off, I would suggest you become a firefighter. Better schedule, people generally like you, and all dangerous scenes have to be secured by police first. Better pay, too.. At least in Coral Gables the Firefighter’s make about 10% more than the police..

If you’re set on becoming an officer I will give you the advice that I would give myself if I were starting out now… Go elsewhere… On paper our salaries look like they compare well with other departments. It’s smoke and mirrors.. Salary is only a small part of the equation. It’s the other benefits that don’t compare with other departments. Nothing but base salary is pensionable. Shift differential… not pensionable...Overtime...not pensionable...Unit pay...not pensionable...Off-Duties...not pensionable…. Now you may not think that matters, but it does...especially later on in your career. On paper the 25 years 75% sounds great (even that has some caveats) compared to some other departments...but you if consider that most, if not all, departments (one’s you would want to work for anyway) include some additional pay towards your pension. So taking that into consideration, a department that is a 30 year retirement is better than the Gables’ 25 year. Don’t forget this either...our pension is an in house pension not Florida Retirement System (FRS). That means you are stuck at the Gables for life!! Hope you like the area… There is no moving from one department to another without losing the years you put in. Any family issues arise you can’t just pick up and go like you can with FRS. Just something to think about.

Another issue is that the morale at the department is at an all time low. I mean all departments have their issues, but the last 5 years it’s just been a nose dive. From politics, to the cliques, to the fact that our union is in bed with the chief. The sad part is some of the brass have no clue that it is low. Almost insane..

An educated person, with a relatively clean background is a hot commodity for police department these days. Almost every department is hiring, so you might as well pick the department that will be best for you…Gables, in my opinion, is not one of them..

The good thing is the Gables will send you through the academy and and once you’re certified you will be an even hotter commodity. Just ask the 10 new officers that have left to Miami-Dade County and BSO within the last year..with more on deck to leave. After typing that it really amazes me how far Coral Gables has fallen. When I got hired it was unheard of people leaving, unless it was to the FBI or ATF. Nobody would leave and we would hire young officers from other departments. Now with years of mismanagement by City Hall, the Police Chiefs and a few others we are regulated to being a 2nd tier department.

I hope this helps you...

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Coral Gables used to be a great department. Is it horrible now? Not really, but you can do much, much better. First off, I would suggest you become a firefighter. Better schedule, people generally like you, and all dangerous scenes have to be secured by police first. Better pay, too.. At least in Coral Gables the Firefighter’s make about 10% more than the police..

If you’re set on becoming an officer I will give you the advice that I would give myself if I were starting out now… Go elsewhere… On paper our salaries look like they compare well with other departments. It’s smoke and mirrors.. Salary is only a small part of the equation. It’s the other benefits that don’t compare with other departments. Nothing but base salary is pensionable. Shift differential… not pensionable...Overtime...not pensionable...Unit pay...not pensionable...Off-Duties...not pensionable…. Now you may not think that matters, but it does...especially later on in your career. On paper the 25 years 75% sounds great (even that has some caveats) compared to some other departments...but you if consider that most, if not all, departments (one’s you would want to work for anyway) include some additional pay towards your pension. So taking that into consideration, a department that is a 30 year retirement is better than the Gables’ 25 year. Don’t forget this either...our pension is an in house pension not Florida Retirement System (FRS). That means you are stuck at the Gables for life!! Hope you like the area… There is no moving from one department to another without losing the years you put in. Any family issues arise you can’t just pick up and go like you can with FRS. Just something to think about.

Another issue is that the morale at the department is at an all time low. I mean all departments have their issues, but the last 5 years it’s just been a nose dive. From politics, to the cliques, to the fact that our union is in bed with the chief. The sad part is some of the brass have no clue that it is low. Almost insane..

An educated person, with a relatively clean background is a hot commodity for police department these days. Almost every department is hiring, so you might as well pick the department that will be best for you…Gables, in my opinion, is not one of them..

The good thing is the Gables will send you through the academy and and once you’re certified you will be an even hotter commodity. Just ask the 10 new officers that have left to Miami-Dade County and BSO within the last year..with more on deck to leave. After typing that it really amazes me how far Coral Gables has fallen. When I got hired it was unheard of people leaving, unless it was to the FBI or ATF. Nobody would leave and we would hire young officers from other departments. Now with years of mismanagement by City Hall, the Police Chiefs and a few others we are regulated to being a 2nd tier department.

I hope this helps you...
    I, too, considered applying to CGPD. This information helps very much. Thank you and be safe out there.

Unregistered

Shifts

Does CGPD work 5/8's or 3/12's?

Unregistered
    Apply at City of Miami so you can be a real cop not some armed butler for Gables residents

Unregistered
    Apply at City of Miami so you can be a real cop not some armed butler for Gables residents
    I'm already an armed butler where I am now. Would like to relocate south to be closer to my parents, who are getting up there in age.

Unregistered
    Does CGPD work 5/8's or 3/12's?
    5/8 and 4/10 mixed

Unregistered
    I'm already an armed butler where I am now. Would like to relocate south to be closer to my parents, who are getting up there in age.
    Ohhhh ok so if you enjoy just getting an easy check and trying to look cool in a police uniform definitely apply at the Gables you’ll fit right in

Unregistered
    5/8 and 4/10 mixed
    Thank you very much

Unregistered
    How are contract negotiations coming along?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast