Is the .45 someone’s compensation for......you know? - Page 20
Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Dirty Harry, nah. I was just unlucky. Most LEOs never fire their gun, right Briggs? This is a good thing. Some LEOs never have to use physical force at all, even in making an arrest. Others, seem to attract trouble, some through no fault of their own.

I'll tell you something, shootings are a real pain. Not only the post shooting reactions, but the way the agency handles the shooting, the press fallout, the grand jury [if the suspect dies], civil lawsuits, et cetera. Even if wholly justified, the LEO usually gets screwed in some fashion.

So, what do you do when you are on a perimeter outside a building, where a suspect is hold up and he comes diving out a window and runs directly at you? I'll tell you what happens. You yell; freeze, police, as you point your revolver at his chest. Maybe he keeps running toward you or, in some cases, he brings his own pistol to bear on you. What do you do? You shoot him, if he has a pistol, as you have been trained to do. In the revolver era, that would be two shots and assess. If you are lucky, with the under powered .38 spl, he will cease being a threat and fall to the ground.

What do you do when you answer a domestic disturbance call, the wife lets you in and the husband comes out of the kitchen, 10 feet away, with a large carving knife and demands that you leave? You draw your revolver, point it at him and tell him to drop the knife, as you attempt to retreat, but now the wife is standing behind you. He ignores your order and lunges at you with the knife pointed at your chest. You fire, hitting him in the chest. He stops, looks at you and says, "You shot me", then drops the knife and sits down on the couch. How do you think the press and your agency looks at that? The "what ifs" and "couldn't you haves" begin flying immediately. The Briggses, within the agency and, especially, the administration come out of the woodwork. Dirty Harry? No, just unlucky. But, it can happen to you, too.

No police shootings are fun. But, when the SHTF, and you are the one with nowhere to go and an armed assailant trying to kill you, you want to be able to 1) pull the trigger, 2) hit your assailant with every round [as you may only get time to fire one or two] and 3) you want those rounds to be as effective as possible. Remember the story of Bullets Bambarella, in the novel the New Centurions? He emptied his gun at a perpetrator and all he did was outline his body, on the wall behind him, with bullet holes. He subdued him by throwing a can of motor oil at him and hitting him in the head. We all laughed as it was a farce. Well, that is today's average LEO's shooting skill. We had people shoot up their issued ammo, for qualification, and watched as their pistol went click-boom-click-click-boom. Sometimes because they lubed it with WD-40 or the spray lubricant for their fishing reel and it killed the primers. We have people who would show up at the range with with semi-auto, which was so dry that it would suffer a FTF or FTE on every round and had to be lubricated to get them through quals. When you are lying on your back on the ground, and a thug is standing over you with a machete, will you feel secure if your pistol suffers a stoppage, or your back-up's pistol goes CLICK not BOOM? Though most LEOs never need to use their firearm, If they do, it better work. You better hit your target. The rounds better be effective. And, hopefully, you will survive to face the nearly continual criticism of your choice.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.
    I’ve been in a shooting, I’ve been shot at and have been with deputies on their shootings. I find your story unlikely. A fatal shot is a fatal shot. The round performs regardless of what it was fired from. And the point is to stop the person, death is not always the outcome. All that bullshit of fire two and assess and the post-shooting fallout smells like something your read. Those of us who have actually done it don’t see it that way. We felt justified when we did it and vindicated when the SAO sends out the justifiable homicide report. I’m not sure what criticism you faced but again, you clearly never worked at PCSO. So how would you know what the average LEO’s shooting abilities are today? You don’t. You’re a pistol range holster sniffer who is full of crap. Go ahead and reference some more police action novels dumbass. You are full of 💩💩💩

Unregistered
    Jesus Christ with the war stories! You guys jack off to the gun magazines in the tool shed late at night too?

Unregistered
    Jesus Christ with the war stories! You guys jack off to the gun magazines in the tool shed late at night too?
    No, just to Hickok45 videos and embellish the war stories from G&A and American Rifleman as their own.

Unregistered
    "I remember back in that big gang shootout in the summer of '61 when I shot 193 gang members while I waited for backup with my .357" I never missed once. I even tagged all the bodies, washed my patrol car and mowed the lawn in front of the SO before I went home for the day"

Unregistered
    It's going to be hilarious if during the next budget hearing Sheriff Bob puts aside money to buy Glock 9 mm pistols, holds a press conference during which he explains how he thought of such a brilliant idea, saves money, better for his deputies, etc, etc.

Unregistered
    I have small hands. Is there any chance they could approve that I carry a G43 instead of the G21? I just can't get my hands around the humongous G21. The agency shouldn't have picked such a big gun.

Unregistered
    I’ve been in a shooting, I’ve been shot at and have been with deputies on their shootings. I find your story unlikely. A fatal shot is a fatal shot. The round performs regardless of what it was fired from. And the point is to stop the person, death is not always the outcome. All that bullshit of fire two and assess and the post-shooting fallout smells like something your read. Those of us who have actually done it don’t see it that way. We felt justified when we did it and vindicated when the SAO sends out the justifiable homicide report. I’m not sure what criticism you faced but again, you clearly never worked at PCSO. So how would you know what the average LEO’s shooting abilities are today? You don’t. You’re a pistol range holster sniffer who is full of crap. Go ahead and reference some more police action novels dumbass. You are full of 💩💩💩
    How old are you? Until the big switch to high capacity semi-autos in the 1980s, most officers used six shot revolvers. You had six shots to defend yourself with and then, reloading took about 4 seconds, if everything went as planned. Usually, under stress, this was longer. Training, at the time was, in fact, 2 per threat and assess, beyond three feet. However, training, then as now, was not very good. Now, today, LEOs, having the benefit of 2.5-3 times the number of rounds in the gun than the old revolver cops had, are taught to keep shooting until the threat hit the ground. So, LEOs were a little bit better back then than they are today, in shooting incidents, but not by a really large amount. Cops have never been really good shots, because most of them are poorly trained and rarely practice.

Now, in the old days, you were far less likely to be raked over the coals for a shooting than you are today. The shootings were not any more justified then than they are today. But, use of force, by LEOs, was far more positively viewed. Even back in the heyday of the Civil Rights movement, there was rarely the outcry from the press that you have today [NYC being an exception]. But, still, most LEOs do not want to shoot anyone.

Now, you may notice that, though I disagree with you, I did not call you disparaging names, nor did I say that you were full of s**t. You are free to disagree with me all that you want. But, that does not mean that what I say is not accurate.

Unregistered
    I have small hands. Is there any chance they could approve that I carry a G43 instead of the G21? I just can't get my hands around the humongous G21. The agency shouldn't have picked such a big gun.
    For uniform carry, I would say that the smallest 9x19mm pistol that the agency would authorize, for uniform carry, would be the G45. The G43 has a magazine capacity of 6 rounds and the G43X gives you 10 rounds. So, while the agency could authorize the G43, it is unlikely as it would defeat the purpose of carrying a high capacity semi auto in the first place, wouldn't it?.

Unregistered
    It's going to be hilarious if during the next budget hearing Sheriff Bob puts aside money to buy Glock 9 mm pistols, holds a press conference during which he explains how he thought of such a brilliant idea, saves money, better for his deputies, etc, etc.
    The Sheriff could always decide to switch to 9x19mm from .45 ACP. He could also expand the caliber and make of pistols carried by the uniform division. But, think about this for a moment. Why should he? Is the vast majority of the department composed of munchkins who can not get their hand around the grip of a G21? Obviously not, as the vast majority of the department qualifies with them. So, exactly what argument are you going to bring to bear to justify swapping all of the pistols and ammo the department now has? Come up with a decent one and have your union request the change.

This millennial "I want to have the thing that I want right now and I don't care how much it costs someone else" crap is getting old.

Unregistered
    The Sheriff could always decide to switch to 9x19mm from .45 ACP. He could also expand the caliber and make of pistols carried by the uniform division. But, think about this for a moment. Why should he? Is the vast majority of the department composed of munchkins who can not get their hand around the grip of a G21? Obviously not, as the vast majority of the department qualifies with them. So, exactly what argument are you going to bring to bear to justify swapping all of the pistols and ammo the department now has? Come up with a decent one and have your union request the change.

This millennial "I want to have the thing that I want right now and I don't care how much it costs someone else" crap is getting old.
    Our union is nothing around here, no balls, unlike the union from up North where I came from. The issue should be put to a vote so every member can try several Glock 9 mm pistols and decide which one should replace the current one.

Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast