Tips for leaving

Unregistered

Tips for leaving

Thinking of popping smoke and getting out of this dumpster fire of an agency. I know several other people soon to be leaving for / processing with FHP and ALEA. Any tips on how to avoid retaliation while you’re waiting to get your start date with the new agency?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Thinking of popping smoke and getting out of this dumpster fire of an agency. I know several other people soon to be leaving for / processing with FHP and ALEA. Any tips on how to avoid retaliation while you’re waiting to get your start date with the new agency?
    Document everything. Be professional and if you are not already an FOP or PBA Member, you should be. May be a bit too late but it won't hurt.

If you do face what is retaliation, I'd be prepared with a good lawyer, one preferably from outside the Good Ole' Boy Nextwork. Hard to find...

You should also brush up on the Officers Bill of Rights.

I'd also let your potential new agency know of your concerns.

Unregistered
    Not bad advice, but I'd be wary of the FOP / PBA angle. If Scott finds out, he'll set you up for a bogus DUI Arrest in an attempt to ruin your career... this has happened once before.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Not bad advice, but I'd be wary of the FOP / PBA angle. If Scott finds out, he'll set you up for a bogus DUI Arrest in an attempt to ruin your career... this has happened once before.
    Shhhh... Shhhh....

Don't talk about that.

Unregistered

Lack of Staff and Morale

Its of no surprise to see more and more leaving and / or planning a departure from the agency.

There are about 20 recruits in the "training" process right now, with some having failed miserably and at least one termination (so far). They won't be ready for solo work for another month, maybe more, so the road will be short staffed a bit longer team.

The question(s) really should be WHY is WCSO so short staffed? and WHY are people rotating in and out of the agency?

Lowering standards to hire people just because of a shortage is somewhat understandable, although I don't agree with it. The bigger question is HOW did we get to this point with what used to be a fairly decent agency?

We got here because the Emperor Has No Clothes. Spending lots of money to hire leadership as political favors has (over the years) taken its toll on the department. With the sheriff spending his time being a political figure and leaving leadership to others, he has made a large mistake as that "leadership", with some exceptions, is quite frankly, not very good and definitely not respected by the troops.

This cycle of new deputy in and then new deputy out (either term'd or resigned) takes it toll on the veterans that have served this community for years. It's just not fair as there are good officers with WCSO. The problem is they are job scarred or fear demotion if they speak up and tell the Emperor he is not wearing any clothes. Someone tell him, please...