Tickets on crashes

Unregistered

Tickets on crashes

Is it just our policy to write a ticket for every crash, or is there an actual Florida State statute that says we need to? And if it is, what's the statute?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Is it just our policy to write a ticket for every crash, or is there an actual Florida State statute that says we need to? And if it is, what's the statute?
    Policy says you should, not you shall. Our mentality has always been to write the tickets though. Not an actual statute, deputies dont write tickets in crashes, especially when they dont witness the crash.

Unregistered
    Policy says you should, not you shall. Our mentality has always been to write the tickets though. Not an actual statute, deputies dont write tickets in crashes, especially when they dont witness the crash.
    And even the civilians or retirees that work crashes for your local Sheriffs. Plus they do a good job.

Unregistered
    How is it you write tickets for EVERY crash...you would be in court literally every day. Even on your days off...

Unregistered
    How is it you write tickets for EVERY crash...you would be in court literally every day. Even on your days off...
    Yes we are always in court dismissing cases due to the stupid rule from FHP. It makes us look foolish always. Tickets in crashes should be common sense and the discretion of the trooper.

Unregistered
    Yes we are always in court dismissing cases due to the stupid rule from FHP. It makes us look foolish always. Tickets in crashes should be common sense and the discretion of the trooper.
    I only issue the citation if I can support it in court, does your local command staff make you write them if there aren't any witnesses?

Unregistered
    I only write UTC’s if I feel if the drivers actions deserves it. Witnesses or not. If it was a bad crash that sent D2 to the hospital or really effed up D2’s car, I’ll usually write. I will usually write for DWLS depending on the circumstances. Anything else I usually weight the circumstances. 9/10 I don’t write through.

Unregistered

Tickets

I was taught, if the first subsequent harmful event was a violation, then cite the “at-fault” driver. Anything after that was optional, unless there was a criminal violation committed. The idea was, that if a person was cited, that “cleared” the case, similar to a criminal arrest type case. Most of the time there is a witness, they are the other driver(s) involved. If the case went to court and they didn’t show to testify against the violator, then you have no control over that. What the courts did with it after that was anyone’s guess.

I adopted the motto, “ I write, I cite.” My thought is, if your going to drive like an idiot and crash, block the road, inconvenience thousands of other drivers and take up my time because of your stupidity, well then there is a price to be paid for your actions.

Yes I know, law enforcement should be compassionate and understanding and I’m a d$&k. But, I’d rather say I cited because a violation occurred and that I saw the investigation to a conclusion, then to explain my reason for not citing. Besides, 10 more tickets and my wife gets a new set of Ginzu knifes.