Phone spoofers impersonating law enforcement

Senior Member LEO Affairs Lieutenant

Lightbulb Phone spoofers impersonating law enforcement

Quote Originally Posted by ABC7
    Spoofers are calling and claiming to be from SPD and are either:

• Asking for money for donations
    • Claiming to have a warrant that must be paid over the phone
    • Demanding payment for red light camera tickets, often through Bitcoin currency

The phone numbers on caller ID appear to be local numbers, but they are actually spoofed numbers that are from outside the United States. Spoofers use voice-over-internet-protocol-numbers, which makes them [impossible] to investigate because...
    Full story:
    https://www.mysuncoast.com/2019/12/0...their-tactics/
    Journalism can never be silent: that is its greatest virtue and its greatest fault. It must speak, and speak immediately, while the echoes of wonder, the claims of triumph and the signs of horror are still in the air.

Unregistered
    The spoofed number that shows up on your caller ID is not the real number that they are calling from. As a result, when you "block" a spoofed number, that same blocked number will reappear on your caller ID when they call you again. The only way to stop spoofers is for the U.S. Congress to pass some sort of law that will force phone carriers (AT&T, Verizon, etc.) to block spoofed callers, if the carrier cannot identify the real number that they are calling from. Until then, the problem is going to get worse.

Unregistered
    These damned robocallers are royal P.I.T.A. Either they are from the IRS, Social Security Administration, Apple cloud, credit card company, extended warranties etc., etc. I love it when I get a call and the caller ID shows MY phone number!! I know I shouldn't do so but I answer these calls and play along long enough to either piss off the Indian on the other side of the line and they hang up or until s/he tries to get me to use my computer, at which time I advise them to do a sexual act with himself. My guess is that the VoIP is what prevents the phone carrier(s) fro m knowing where the turdball is actually calling from? I would love to be able to stop these A-holes from calling. When they threaten me with arrest I tell them to advise their officer that I am waiting with my 2nd amendment rights in my lap.

Senior Member LEO Affairs Lieutenant

Lightbulb Trump Criminalizes Robocalls [& spoofing]

Quote Originally Posted by “Zachary Stieber”
    President Donald Trump criminalized robocalls by signing the TRACE Act (S. 151). It requires phone companies to develop call authentication technologies and mandates the FCC to create rules outlining when providers can block [spoofed] calls. The bill also requires the Department of Justice to…
    Full story:
    https://www.theepochtimes.com/trump-...s_3189708.html
    Last edited by Media; 01-01-2020 at 08:46 PM.
    Journalism can never be silent: that is its greatest virtue and its greatest fault. It must speak, and speak immediately, while the echoes of wonder, the claims of triumph and the signs of horror are still in the air.