Thread: 33

Unregistered

33-208.001 Personnel – General.
    (1) Designation as Law Enforcement Officers.
    (a) The following officers and employees of the Department of Corrections are designated as law enforcement officers: Secretary; Deputy Secretary; Assistant Secretary of Community Corrections; Assistant Secretary of Institutions; Deputy Assistant Secretary of Institutions; Regional Directors; Correctional Security Administrator; wardens of all institutions and community facilities; the staff of all institutions and community facilities, including road prisons, vocational centers, community correctional centers, women’s adjustment centers and probation and restitution centers, excluding clerical and secretarial employees; Community Corrections Regional Directors; Circuit Administrators, Supervisors and Officers; Inspector General; Deputy Inspector General; and Correctional Inspectors.

Unregistered
    Items in Chapter 33 mean nothing. We are not defined as Law Enforcement under the Florida Statutes or the rules of FDLE.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    33-208.001 Personnel – General.
    (1) Designation as Law Enforcement Officers.
    (a) The following officers and employees of the Department of Corrections are designated as law enforcement officers: Secretary; Deputy Secretary; Assistant Secretary of Community Corrections; Assistant Secretary of Institutions; Deputy Assistant Secretary of Institutions; Regional Directors; Correctional Security Administrator; wardens of all institutions and community facilities; the staff of all institutions and community facilities, including road prisons, vocational centers, community correctional centers, women’s adjustment centers and probation and restitution centers, excluding clerical and secretarial employees; Community Corrections Regional Directors; Circuit Administrators, Supervisors and Officers; Inspector General; Deputy Inspector General; and Correctional Inspectors.
    That bad HUH? FDC Law Enforcement Ii positions on people first clearly state that correctional certification does not count as sworn..look it up yourself

Unregistered
    That bad HUH? FDC Law Enforcement Ii positions on people first clearly state that correctional certification does not count as sworn..look it up yourself
    what People Worst says doesn't matter. I get special risk and that's all I care about

Unregistered
    what People Worst says doesn't matter. I get special risk and that's all I care about
    Not really sure where the "special risk" is in sitting at a desk all day and periodically asking someone to piss in a cup.

Unregistered

Lightbulb

Not really sure where the "special risk" is in sitting at a desk all day and periodically asking someone to piss in a cup.
    It is in the 'potential' for a dangerous situation to arise. Much like a police officer can drive around all shift for 30 years and never get in a shoot-out or a guard can work in a prison for 30 years and not get shanked; but the potential for it is always there... Even Judges, State Atty., and Public Defenders get it; ain't that special?!?

Unregistered
    It is in the 'potential' for a dangerous situation to arise. Much like a police officer can drive around all shift for 30 years and never get in a shoot-out or a guard can work in a prison for 30 years and not get shanked; but the potential for it is always there... Even Judges, State Atty., and Public Defenders get it; ain't that special?!?
    A dangerous situation can potentially arise in any workplace. According to your logic, janitors should get special risk retirement benefits.

Unregistered

One of the reasons

One of the very few reason I left FDC was becuas of this debate.. FL statute says I'm classified as a LEO.. eith some autbroirty to arrestt..according to HR 218 I would have qualified to take my firearm all over the united state.s. I was also excluded from ccw requirement. BUT TO the whole state of FL I was not a LEO.to other agency inwas not a leo to fdle. I was not a leo. To people first .I was confused.. I participated in an event outside the prison walls along other sheriff/ police..we were all in uniform but FDC was the only agency without a firearm..god forbid worse happen I would have to run away or behind a guy with a gun becuase I couldnt help....NOW another reason was obviously the low pay....FOLLOWING by the lack of judgement by FDC staff in regard to officer safety .. outside squad would have 1 officer 10 inmate and the only weapon they had was Oc.regardless what classification would rate them they were still immates/criminals ..they just knew how to work the system to get CM3.. I'll get back to part 2

Unregistered
    The 2019 Florida Statutes

Title XLVII
    CRIMINAL PROCEDURE AND CORRECTIONS
    Chapter 944
    STATE CORRECTIONAL SYSTEM
    View Entire Chapter
    944.39 Interference with prisoners; penalty.—Any person who, without authority, interferes with or in any way interrupts the work of any prisoner under the custody of the department or who in any way interferes with the discipline or good conduct of any prisoner shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. No person shall, by disguise, misrepresentation of identity or other illicit means, attempt to gain admission to or enter upon the grounds of any state correctional institution for the purpose of visiting any prisoner in violation of the general visiting policy adopted by the department. A person, upon conviction of an offense as outlined in this section, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. Any peace officer or any correctional officer of the department or any prison inspector or any employee of the department may arrest without warrant any person violating the provisions of this section

Unregistered
    Search Statutes
    Search Tips
    Florida Constitution
    Laws of Florida
    Legislative & Executive Branch Lobbyists
    Information Center
    Joint Legislative Committees &
    Other Entities
    Historical Committees
    Florida Government Efficiency Task Force
    Legislative Employment
    Legistore
    Links
    Navigation design spacer
    Interpreter Services for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
    Go to MyFlorida House
    Go to MyFlorida House
    Select Year:

The 2019 Florida Statutes

Title XLVI
    CRIMES
    Chapter 843
    OBSTRUCTING JUSTICE
    View Entire Chapter
    843.04 Refusing to assist prison officers in arresting escaped convicts.—
    (1) All prison officers and correctional officers shall immediately arrest any convict, held under the provisions of law, who may have escaped. Any such officer or guard may call upon the sheriff or other officer of the state, or of any county or municipal corporation, or any citizen, to make search and arrest such convict.
    (2) Any officer or citizen refusing to assist shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
    History.—s. 17, ch. 6530, 1917; RGS 5389; CGL 7528; s. 1037, ch. 71-136; s. 8, ch. 95-283