Pressure mounting calls for Resignation of Lee County Sheriff, he's invoked the 5th
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unregistered

Pressure mounting calls for Resignation of Lee County Sheriff, he's invoked the 5th

Pressure mounting in calls for resignation of Lee County Sheriff

Posted: 2:59 PM, Nov 27, 2019 Updated: 3:00 PM, Nov 27, 2019
    By: Jane Monreal

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- A former Lee County Sheriff, Major and Lieutenant are connected in a common call for action against the current sheriff.

Rodney Shoap, who was Lee County Sheriff from 2001 to 2014, says the current sheriff, Carmine Marceno, should retire. He said, "There's enough smoke, that where there's that much smoke, there's also fire."

Shoap is referring to, in part, Fox 4's investigation into Marceno's qualifications to work in his first law enforcement job in Florida. As Fox 4 first reported in July of 2019 , the equivalency of training form allows out of state officers who have worked full time for at least one year, to bypass almost 800 hours of police academy when they come to the Sunshine State.

Our research showed Sheriff Marceno's experience in Suffolk County, New York did not meet those requirements, but he was allowed to sit for his exam anyway. There is also now a criminal investigation into Marceno from the state's top policing agency, Florida Department of Law Enforcement, looking into whether Marceno met the qualifications to sit for his Florida law enforcement exam.

In other words, was he ever eligible to work in law enforcement in this state? Shoap said, "As the sheriff, should he not be answering to it? When you're the sheriff, the most important thing you can do is uphold the law, and be within the law yourself."

Marceno sworn in as new Lee County Sheriff
    The Ethics Commission has also recently opened an investigation into allegations the appointed sheriff has abused his power to meet women. While Marceno shows no signs of resigning, Shoap told Fox 4 anchor Jane Monreal that since our investigation, Marceno hired a lawyer, which Fox 4 did confirm.

That lawyer said he wasn't allowed to comment since there is an open investigation.

Retired Major Carmen McKinney has plenty of experience with these claims from his time working in internal affairs at the Lee County Sheriff's Office. "This is conduct that I investigated for many years, and we held those people accountable for that conduct. And those people were terminated for the very behavior Mr. Marceno is displaying," says McKinney.

"You have to wonder, are there any more Carmine Marceno's in the state of Florida with inappropriate forms and shouldn't be certified?" asks Shoap. "Even when I was the Sheriff, I had one. And we found it through circumstances that were special and of course, I terminated him right away. And, the state removed his credentials."

Fox 4 obtained documents of that officer who was let go under Shoap's tenure. FDLE found him to falsify documents in order to skip the EOT. The Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission recommended disciplinary action based on several allegations including, "Respondent has failed to maintain the qualifications established in Florida statutes, which require that a law enforcement officer in the state of Florida have good moral character."

Dr. Lee Bushong, a former Lee County lieutenant who ran for sheriff, also explains in a 94-page document, the holes in the process by which Marceno landed his first law enforcement position. Bushong includes a timeline of his career and a list of the statutes being violated. Bushong told FOX 4 that he walked it over to the Governor's office, as well as the Attorney General. The AG's office says they forwarded his complaint to FDLE. Governor DeSantis' office has yet to respond to any requests for comment.

Bushong also points out, "He had a lifetime total of about 1,203.5 hours total experience as a law enforcement officer, far less than a year's worth of full-time experience." It's a question that Fox 4 has asked the sheriff repeatedly.

"Put yourself in the place of the citizen's home watching your newscast," says Shoap. "And,they see him not only refusing to answer, but literally running from the camera. How easy is this answer?"

Marceno has stated previously, "Allegations have been proven false in the past," and says anyone saying something against him is politically motivated.

RELATED: Lee County Sheriff Carmine Marceno kicks off his 2020 election campaign

McKinney says, "As far as being political, I have no political agenda. I'm not supporting anybody. But I will say this, if this goes unchallenged, I will leave that option open."

Shoap has endorsed Jim Leavens for sheriff, but insists no real politics are motivating him, only pointing to the outstanding evidence . "His response is the response of a guilty person. An innocent person would have said, 'Examine me in every way. I'll make every document you request available, in a timely manner.'"

RELATED: Florida Ethics Commission now investigating Lee County's appointed Sheriff Carmine Marceno

While both investigations are open, it is important to note, since FDLE's investigation is a criminal one stemming from the alleged fraud, Marceno can invoke the fifth amendment and decline being interviewed to avoid self incrimination.

Unregistered
    Happy Thanksgiving ... You and Daddy will be spending many Thanksgivings to come in adjoining cells !!!!!!!!

Unregistered
    Maybe they can get ******* to defend them, skip that he’s about to be removed as an attorney. Won’t happen, 2020, 2024, 2028. Carmine Marceno will be Sheriff, ✌️

Unregistered

Shoap McKinney bushong ******* leavans

Scum of Lee county
    Only fox will listen to your garbage
    We have the best sheriff we have had in years
    Nothing you maggots come up with will change anything

Unregistered

Not True??

So there’s no investigation from FDLE, There’s no investigation into the ethics of CM. There’s all this paperwork and evidence but wait there all lies! No Eric there not lies, no Tim there not lies! You guys hitched onto a loser , a liar, a thief, and a womanizer! Those gentlemen are the facts! Now keep spreading all this garbage and hate!

Unregistered
    Really Rod Shoap, the guy that couldn't make a second term because he is a corrupt low life that treated his deputies like crap. Rod Shoap, the same guy that broke the law, had an affair with his secretary on duty and provided a friend with a uniform at a bar for Halloween. Come on.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    So there’s no investigation from FDLE, There’s no investigation into the ethics of CM. There’s all this paperwork and evidence but wait there all lies! No Eric there not lies, no Tim there not lies! You guys hitched onto a loser , a liar, a thief, and a womanizer! Those gentlemen are the facts! Now keep spreading all this garbage and hate!
    (Sticks fingers in ears) LA LA LA LA LA I'M NOT LISTENING!!!
    NOT MY TRUTH, CARMINE DID NO WRONG! HE TOLD ME HIMSELF! RIGHT AFTER I WROTE HIM A BIG FAT CHECK!!! CARMINE WILL BE SHERIFF FOREVER!

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Really Rod Shoap, the guy that couldn't make a second term because he is a corrupt low life that treated his deputies like crap. Rod Shoap, the same guy that broke the law, had an affair with his secretary on duty and provided a friend with a uniform at a bar for Halloween. Come on.
    Should your camp say anything about wearing a uniform when they shouldn't?
    Swat, Cert, not to mention his regular uniform. All of which were not earned.

Unregistered
    Someone is actually carrying a conversation on with themselves. Whackos!!!!!!!!!!

Unregistered
    When someone invokes the 5Th, is because they've been told by their Attorney, that there's a real possibility of going to Jail!

Gov. DeSantis, gave you the chance to resign, you said No ... then he told you, that you would have to live, with the consequences, of a full scale criminal investigation and the real possibility that both You & Daddy, will be criminally charged on a litany of state & Federal charges ...

Stop, whining and get ready .........

Blame yourself for what's coming !!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast