How does that

Thread: How does that

Unregistered

How does that

Happen when a deputy pulls someone over then after finding out they have no license let them get back in car and drive away??? The supervisor is advised and just brushes it off? This just verifies why this person was sent to the courthouse. Imagine the law suit if that person caused a crash. Better yet how many people in this department have been fired for less?

Unregistered
    [QUOTE=Unregistered;3072344]Happen when a deputy pulls someone over then after finding out they have no license let them get back in car and drive away??? The supervisor is advised and just brushes it off? This just verifies why this person was sent to the courthouse. Imagine the law suit if that person caused a crash. Better yet how many people in this department have been fired for less?[/QgUOTE]

I've seen it happen and I even did it as a rookie. I was admonished by my supervisor and it didn't happen again. Why they were "allowed" to drive is actually venturing into criminal territory by allowing an unauthorized person to drive. I'm aware of prior internal investigations, but usually the SAO declined to prosecute the officer. That still does not preclude the officer from non-punitve (counseling or reprimand), up to and including suspension.

I am also unaware of officers being dismissed for less. I have observed officers being retained for misconduct that would have resulted in dismissal for anyone else.

There should be, a minimum, a supervisor inquiry to determine whether or not the officer violated agency policy and Florida Statutes. If the alleged policy violation(s) may potentially result in suspension, demotion and/or dismissal, then there should be an Internal Affairs Investigation.

This type of behavior, if the complaint is sustained, should not be tolerated under any circumstances as it becomes a serious liability for the agency. Jmho.