Coral Springs 911 dispatcher fired for watching movies.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unregistered

Coral Springs 911 dispatcher fired for watching movies.

I wonder what movie was playing in their dispatch on 2/14?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I wonder what movie was playing in their dispatch on 2/14?
    Good, she deserves it. Probably eating a box of Ho Ho’s also.

Unregistered

Read the article

The supervisor was suspended not fired and she was the one watching the movie on netflix. The other 2 dispatchers were fired for prioritizing it as a 13i, which I'm sure they had been trained to do. Prior dispatcher here and unless they specifically say "I was shot" or you hear shot over the phone it would be considered a 13i. The only thing they did wrong was allow it to be a low priority. They should have manually adjusted that.

Unregistered
    Ok I’ll bite then, did they classify MSD as a s67. They only dispatched their fire rescue units and never notified BSO or their own PD. Must of been a good movie.

Unregistered
    Just remember the computers in BSO units are subject to search too.

Unregistered
    Whether you do your job or not, they are going to try to fire you regardless. Does anyone really care anymore?

Unregistered
    She was the supervisor on duty. She _could_ have caught it but are they typically reviewing every call for service?

Unregistered
    Listen Parkland residences, every 911 call from your cell phone goes to Coral Springs PD. They were made aware of this before MSD happened. Their city manager Karen Gardener-Young and Mayor Udine knew these, they were warned something could happen but they chose not to listen. Well Parkland residences this is still in effect today, in fact your new major wanted all police calls to go to Coral Springs. Well after talking to Coral Springs they said please stop calling because your interrupting their movies. Ha Ha Ha

Unregistered
    has she ever worked at main jail?????all 3 shifts are doing everything else besides watching the inmates.still a few good ones though

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    The supervisor was suspended not fired and she was the one watching the movie on netflix. The other 2 dispatchers were fired for prioritizing it as a 13i, which I'm sure they had been trained to do. Prior dispatcher here and unless they specifically say "I was shot" or you hear shot over the phone it would be considered a 13i. The only thing they did wrong was allow it to be a low priority. They should have manually adjusted that.
    "According to the report, a woman called just before 7 p.m. to report “that something just blew through her car and she said that she wasn’t sure if it was a bullet or something.”
    The caller said “something shot through the back window and hit the front windshield and almost hit her head.” She said “there is a hot metal piece still inside of the car that landed on her lap.” It was possibly a bullet."

In all my years of wearing a headset and a red shirt for BSO, I've never heard anyone attempt to argue that someone actually has to be shot or you can hear the shots over the phone in order to classify it as a 33. The above caller's description of the event ("something shot through the back window", "hit the front windshield", "hot metal piece still inside the car", "possibly a bullet") reasonably indicates that there may have been a shooting. I don't know which agency you worked for, but last time I checked BSO SOP (yes, I am aware that the event was CSPD and their SOP may be different), it said that if a call can be classified as two different types, choose the type that has the higher priority. 13I, even with a raised priority, is asking for the exact kind of trouble (and negative attention) the calltaker found themself in.

What I HAVE seen in all my years of wearing a headset for BSO were fellow dispatchers on countless occasions falling for a trap by going against that black-and-white print (which is also there to save them, not just jeopardize their career) to try to save some sort of face from other dispatchers and/or field units who maybe won't want to handle the call as it has been classified and/or prioritized...that's their problem.

This is probably the same trap that the CSPD calltaker fell for: Worrying about their coworkers' opinions and feelings (who don't pay the calltaker's bills) while forgetting what actually matters: the policy written by those who DO pay the calltaker's bills.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast