PTSD article in Herald - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Unregistered
    the bottoms line is this, if you are having an issue, seek help. The department has a resource that most other departments do not have. They have added staff and they are getting more proactive in reaching out to us. We need to remove the stigma that it’s something to be embarrassed about or ashamed off. We have one of the highest stress jobs and it takes a toll on us physically and mentally. I can attest there is nothing wrong with going. They have great staff and they care. Nothing has happened to me career wise. I am in the same spot which is a pretty cushy place. Get the help if needed. Don’t ruin you career or your family when it could be fixed before it gets out of hand. Take care of each other and stay safe

Unregistered
    This is important, stay informed.

Unregistered
    The department has a resource that most other departments do not have. They have added staff and they are getting more proactive in reaching out to us.

We need to remove the stigma that it’s something to be embarrassed about or ashamed off. We have one of the highest stress jobs and it takes a toll on us physically and mentally. I can attest there is nothing wrong with going. They have great staff and they care. Nothing has happened to me career wise.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    The department has a resource that most other departments do not have. They have added staff and they are getting more proactive in reaching out to us.

We need to remove the stigma that it’s something to be embarrassed about or ashamed off. We have one of the highest stress jobs and it takes a toll on us physically and mentally. I can attest there is nothing wrong with going. They have great staff and they care. Nothing has happened to me career wise.
    I have an honest question so please don’t take it to another level like this blog does. How does the department allow a LT to run psychologically services. I know she has a degree but I just feel uncomfortable knowing she’s a LT who can eventually be my boss one day running the place. Can someone advise?

Unregistered
    That’s a very good question!!

Unregistered
    I have an honest question so please don’t take it to another level like this blog does. How does the department allow a LT to run psychologically services. I know she has a degree but I just feel uncomfortable knowing she’s a LT who can eventually be my boss one day running the place. Can someone advise?
    Since you replied to my comment I will answer the best I can. Yes she is a LT that can one day transfer but given her qualifications she most likely will stay there her entire career. She’s not the only person there who sees patients also. If you do not feel comfortable talking to her, speak with the others who are mostly licensed civilians. Also if that were to happen, she wouldn’t gossip about you and she would probably treat you a little differently and look out for you. She has nothing but the best intentions and would never use what she knows against anyone.

Your question does bring up one of the biggest Concerns most officers probably have and that’s trusting your treatment is kept confidential. I can assure you it is. I wish there was a way I could prove it to you but please just believe I have nothing but my fellow officers well being at heart.

Unregistered
    Regarding your question how Melissa can be in charge of the unit, yes she is a LT that could one day be transferred. However with her qualifications I highly doubt she would ever leave that unit. But let’s say she did, she would never in a million years use what she knows in any time of negative or harmful way. Also don’t forget there are other counselors there that are civilians. You could always speak to them if you prefer. The staff doesn’t talk about their patients with each other. They have to abide by HIPPA. Yeah I know it’s impossible to enforce but sometimes you just have to have faith. It may not be perfect but it’s not a shit show either. The people who work there truly care about us and want nothing more that to help. When I told my therapist that they literally saved my life, because I was seriously thinking about suicide, they started to cry. It meant that much to them. They care and so does Melissa. Shes been in the department for a while and I’ve never heard anything bad about her. Especially as it pertains to the unit.

Unregistered
    All valid privacy concerns. But remember, they are all licensed mental health professions by the State of Florida, regardless of their sworn status. Any breach of privacy could result in the loss of that license.

We also have chaplains that will talk with you. They aren’t bound by the state laws, but answer to a personal calling and will never be in your chain of command.

It’s just important to get help. No matter where you do.

Unregistered
    All valid privacy concerns. But remember, they are all licensed mental health professions by the State of Florida, regardless of their sworn status. Any breach of privacy could result in the loss of that license.

We also have chaplains that will talk with you. They aren’t bound by the state laws, but answer to a personal calling and will never be in your chain of command.

It’s just important to get help. No matter where you do.
    **professionals. Sorry for the typo

Unregistered
    I’m considering giving them a call. I also was thinking about getting a referral to talk to an off site psychiatrist who deals with PO’s so it would be 100% confidential. What are the chances I’d bump into a coworker at psych services?
    I’ve been to a marriage counselor in the past, and I think they are all BS. I don’t want to pay someone to chat with. I need someone to eliminate the issues I have. I used to be that happy go lucky cop described in the article but now I’ve lost my faith in humanity and think everyone is out to get me.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast