PTSD article in Herald - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    For those that insist on blaming JP or this or using this as an opportunity to continue to make everything his fault, it’s obvious what your motive is and you couldn’t be further from the mark. Policing in this country has gotten extremely difficult the last 5-10 years as we are at war with the liberals Everyone has a boss and just look at agencies around the country dealing with being told what to do by politicians.

This issue PTSD is real and coming from someone who has interviewed hundreds of officers following traumatic incidents, officers are no different than civilians and just because you went through an academy and a training curriculum doesn’t mean you are able to process the stuff you deal with. The real issue is most officers walk around like Barney bad-ass talking a lot of crap about what they’ve done and seen when they truly haven’t seen crap.

The correlation between the profession just any other stressful job at certain moments and alcoholism is real and that will be the next ugly topic revealed and brought to the forefront.

Be safe and take care of each other.
    You are condescending. Process that if your “hun dreads of interviews” allow it. Bad way to come across. Even bringing politics into it. The job is harder and harder for many actions officers were caught in video doing wrong the men and women and supervisors have to deal with and change the ways of the job. The one thing I agree with it’s real. The opinions should be left out or can be said differently, instead of “many” or generalizing.

Unregistered
    For those that insist on blaming JP or this or using this as an opportunity to continue to make everything his fault, it’s obvious what your motive is and you couldn’t be further from the mark. Policing in this country has gotten extremely difficult the last 5-10 years as we are at war with the liberals Everyone has a boss and just look at agencies around the country dealing with being told what to do by politicians.

This issue PTSD is real and coming from someone who has interviewed hundreds of officers following traumatic incidents, officers are no different than civilians and just because you went through an academy and a training curriculum doesn’t mean you are able to process the stuff you deal with. The real issue is most officers walk around like Barney bad-ass talking a lot of crap about what they’ve done and seen when they truly haven’t seen crap.

The correlation between the profession just any other stressful job at certain moments and alcoholism is real and that will be the next ugly topic revealed and brought to the forefront.

Be safe and take care of each other.
    Way to slap others in the face. You actually interview Officers? wow, how do you come off a statement like that? Really? I hope you are not the help. You are basically telling others they are a wuss.

Thank you sir may I have another?

Unregistered
    I think I follow the post with the point possibly being that as officers we are our own worst enemies. We often in some situations come across as arrogant and insensitive. All you have to do is attend annual training or any in service training and you will hear “war stories” some of which are so far from the actual truth it makes you wonder where they actually heard the story from. I agree everyone handles stress differently however those that walk around like nothing bothers them and then blame lack of leadership or supervision for PTSD which is a horrible thing to deal with, is just wrong.

Then we come on here where the public can view and we trash everything about our department and our colleagues. It’s no wonder the public questions the way we do our jobs and the people who are doing it. If you’ve ever testified in court and had your credibility questioned you know what I’m referring to.

Every other thread on this site bashes officers who “don’t do real police work” and who have “never worked in a real district”. I’ve traversed the county from one end to the other and I can attest that each district has its fair share of “real crime” and tragic incidents. Why must we use this opportunity to bring attention to a real problem like PTSD to turn it into a political platform instead of just recognizing it exists and be grateful as a profession we are being afforded an opportunity to get the proper help.

Stop the bashing and try and be supportive, it actually might help.

Just saying....

Unregistered
    There is so much hate amongst us, that no wonder we suffer from this and many other illnesses.

Unregistered
    Does your job provide help for this?

Unregistered
    PTSD is the real deal.

Unregistered
    I don’t see the department doing anything about this. They should have a mandatory evaluation if an officer is involved in traumatic incident before they can return to work.

Unregistered
    Compassion and love goes a long way for anyone.

Unregistered
    I think I follow the post with the point possibly being that as officers we are our own worst enemies. We often in some situations come across as arrogant and insensitive. All you have to do is attend annual training or any in service training and you will hear “war stories” some of which are so far from the actual truth it makes you wonder where they actually heard the story from. I agree everyone handles stress differently however those that walk around like nothing bothers them and then blame lack of leadership or supervision for PTSD which is a horrible thing to deal with, is just wrong.

Then we come on here where the public can view and we trash everything about our department and our colleagues. It’s no wonder the public questions the way we do our jobs and the people who are doing it. If you’ve ever testified in court and had your credibility questioned you know what I’m referring to.

Every other thread on this site bashes officers who “don’t do real police work” and who have “never worked in a real district”. I’ve traversed the county from one end to the other and I can attest that each district has its fair share of “real crime” and tragic incidents. Why must we use this opportunity to bring attention to a real problem like PTSD to turn it into a political platform instead of just recognizing it exists and be grateful as a profession we are being afforded an opportunity to get the proper help.

Stop the bashing and try and be supportive, it actually might help.

Just saying....
    Amen, I think the Majority of this department are good, like everything else we have a few rotten apples.

Unregistered
    That was one of my issues. I had to leave a unit after I got into with the clique that took over. When I went to a new unit I was constantly looking over my shoulder worried I was going to piss someone off and get transferred. I would drive home and think of everything that I did/said and worry what I could get in trouble for. Sounds crazy but yeah. It’s what started me down my path. And I was one of the most competent investigators in the unit lol and here I am worried about getting booted. I’ve never been in some crazy shooting or anything but after 20+ years the deaths, the despair, etc takes a toll. Talking helps. To a friend, spouse, or a professional. Just don’t keep it locked up inside until it ruins your life.

PS please let’s keep the union and other crap off this thread. This is a very serious topic and I don’t want someone who needs help to read this and feel like they will be made fun of or something. It took me several years to seek help and my life is so much better. I’m a better spouse and parent to my kids.
    You can absolutely get PTSD from a toxic work environment. Do some research and you’ll see that a large number of suicides among active duty military happen among members who aren’t even serving in combat roles.
    “Smoking” subordinates and making their life hell does a lot of damage. Any time I’ve been in a 5hitty workplace environment, whether it’s been a supervisor that wants to get rid of me to invite their clique or a fellow officer who hates you for kicking a55 and making them “look bad🤣” these things can be just as destructive or even more so than nasty stuff we deal with on any scene or from using force.
    It’s because we don’t expect the people we work with to behave like Scumbags. We expect our base or station to be a place of safety, protection and brotherhood, not another combat zone. Dealing with people who hate you and then going to your station to get more 5hit can make an officer/soldier/agent (whatever) feel stressed, trapped and isolated. Add other triggers like depression and you’ve got a time bomb waiting to go off.
    So, you can be a tough supervisor without being cruel. You can be a highly motivated officer without looking down on others who don’t share your level of motivation. You can try to get ahead in your career without being a backstabbing hypocrite.
    Help those people along if they’re willing. Maybe they’ve never had the chance to prove themselves.
    Instead of talking more 5hit, be a leader. Take control. Stop being in high school.
    If we treat one another with respect and appreciation and express ourselves in a positive manner you’d be surprised what a positive effect this can have on the individual and the overall work environment.
    Build each other up. We are police officers and that still means something to me, anyways. Let the subjects and the dirtbags of the world be who they are. Let them be the ones who disrespect themselves and their surroundings. Give them what they got coming to them. Handcuffs. A ride. Even a fight if that’s what he wants. Draw a very clear line between how you treat criminals as opposed to the way you treat your brothers or sisters in brown.
    Smile. Joke around, have a little fun and do a great job you can be proud of. That’s all anyone can ask. This is the most interesting job in the world, hands down.
    And take a long look in the mirror if you are that mole or that piece of 5hit supervisor going around making some officer’s Or subordinate’s life hell. Your 33 don’t got your back. Beweeeeeve that. We do. I do.
    That’s the long answer. PTSD can totally result from nasty work environments. I’ve seen officers so whacked out they’re afraid of their own shadow from ignorant micromanagement and being undermined by their supposed squadmates.
    If you’re having trouble sleeping, if you have physical reactions to negative thoughts, if your mind is invaded by flashbacks or images, seek help. You’ve got company, believe me. You’re definitely not alone. The copay for the psychologist in your network is $40. A funeral is gonna set your family back upwards of $10,000, and that’s on the cheap end. Do the math.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast