TABE test - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TABE test

Unregistered
    The problem with many people today is they confuse formal education with intelligence. The two are in no way related. I have met and interacted with people who have a phD, and are not very intelligent. I have also interacted with persons who have an 8th grade formal education and were very intelligent. Police in particular seem to overvalue formal education and use such as a measurement of intelligence. This is a big miscalculation.

It is a simple fact that the best police officers have average intelligence but are street wise and possess common sense. The worst police officers have lots of formal education and are not very street wise. The latter tend to gravitate toward upper administration positions like Chief, Deputy Chief, Captain, Lieutenant etc....

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    The problem with many people today is they confuse formal education with intelligence. The two are in no way related. I have met and interacted with people who have a phD, and are not very intelligent. I have also interacted with persons who have an 8th grade formal education and were very intelligent. Police in particular seem to overvalue formal education and use such as a measurement of intelligence. This is a big miscalculation.

It is a simple fact that the best police officers have average intelligence but are street wise and possess common sense. The worst police officers have lots of formal education and are not very street wise. The latter tend to gravitate toward upper administration positions like Chief, Deputy Chief, Captain, Lieutenant etc....
    My dad who was a street cop always said "real cops never go above the rank of Sgt".

Unregistered

Lemme guess... by sheer coincidence, and in an embarrassment of riches, you just happen to have all of the attributes of the "best police officers." You're the hero TPD deserves.

Unregistered
    Lemme guess... by sheer coincidence, and in an embarrassment of riches, you just happen to have all of the attributes of the "best police officers." You're the hero TPD deserves.
    I wrote the post you replied to. To set the record straight I am not an employee of any law enforcement agency. I was simply making a statement of my long career "observing" law enforcement. My point was law enforcement as a profession overvalues formal education. Intelligence and formal education are not correlated, period.

In addition I was stating who made the best police officers. Many studies have proven that average IQ people are best. I was simply stating that many L.E.O.'s put too much value on formal education. Formal education is valuable in some professions (Law, Medicine, Engineering etc..) but in basic law enforcement it is not necessary at all. I have observed high ranking persons in your profession look down on street level officers who possess a high school diploma. This is curious to me because many with a HSD are in fact the most able to do street level policing successfully. Most who gravitate toward Chief, Deputy Chief or other high ranks have proven to be poor law enforcers in my experience. I would assume this hit a nerve with you because you overvalue your own ability and education. I would suggest you seek assistance with your anger. Best of luck!!

Unregistered
    So what you’re saying, basically, is that the guy is a dikchead? Got it.

Unregistered
    To call another a "****head" is quite juvenile. May I suggest the person you refer to as "****head" may have struck a nerve? Could you be whom they were referring to? I speculate that the last two posters have very unnatural levels of self importance. Good day.

Unregistered
    I wrote the post you replied to. To set the record straight I am not an employee of any law enforcement agency. I was simply making a statement of my long career "observing" law enforcement. My point was law enforcement as a profession overvalues formal education. Intelligence and formal education are not correlated, period.

In addition I was stating who made the best police officers. Many studies have proven that average IQ people are best. I was simply stating that many L.E.O.'s put too much value on formal education. Formal education is valuable in some professions (Law, Medicine, Engineering etc..) but in basic law enforcement it is not necessary at all. I have observed high ranking persons in your profession look down on street level officers who possess a high school diploma. This is curious to me because many with a HSD are in fact the most able to do street level policing successfully. Most who gravitate toward Chief, Deputy Chief or other high ranks have proven to be poor law enforcers in my experience. I would assume this hit a nerve with you because you overvalue your own ability and education. I would suggest you seek assistance with your anger. Best of luck!!
    I would suggest that you drop the sociologist act. Pretending that you're an impartial outsider doesn't make your position stronger. It makes you seem very foolish. See you in in-service, Doc.

Unregistered
    The Reserve Coordinator told me applicants are required to take the TABE test regardless of whether they have a college degree or not.

Unregistered
    Many agencies eliminated the TABE test (Manatee, Polk, Pasco) if an applicant has a four year degree. Why does TPD still require applicants to take the TABE test?

Unregistered
    Many agencies eliminated the TABE test (Manatee, Polk, Pasco) if an applicant has a four year degree. Why does TPD still require applicants to take the TABE test?
    I’m not in personnel, but probably because more than a few people have obtained “Masters of Cultural Studies Certificates” and other fake degrees from diploma mills. Also, isn’t there this thing at some schools where you can be completely illiterate but get a degree as long as you can kick, dribble, hit or throw a ball in some specified manner or direction? Pretty sure that’s why.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast