FDLE Confirms Fraud & Perjury Criminal Investigation against Carmine Marceno
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unregistered

FDLE Confirms Fraud & Perjury Criminal Investigation against Carmine Marceno

FDLE letter confirms review of claims of fraud, untruthfulness against Lee County Sheriff Carmine Marceno

Michael Braun, Fort Myers News-Press Published 4:14 p.m. ET Oct. 14, 2019 | Updated 4:19 p.m. ET Oct. 14, 2019

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement has confirmed that it is reviewing claims of possible fraud and untruthfulness involving Lee County Sheriff Carmine Marceno.

The FDLE made the confirmation in a Sept. 31 letter to former Lee County Sheriff Rod Shoap in response to his inquiry. Shoap provided a copy of the letter to The News-Press.

"In your letter, you alleged, in part, possible fraud/untruthfulness associated with Carmine Marceno's employment application and equivalency of training form," the FDLE response said.

"The (FDLE Office of Executive Investigations) has previously received information regarding your allegations/concerns and is currently conducting a review/inquiry into the matter," the letter said.

Read: Former Lee sheriff Shoap says state investigator contacted him about Marceno complaint

A public information officer for the FDLE said Monday that a copy of the related letter and response related to the case were sent so public records can be released once they are processed.

Jessica Cary, with the FDLE Office of Public Information, said that since the case remains active the FDLE can't comment further on the active inquiry.

Reached Monday, Marceno referred previous responses to allegations against him.

"Rod Shoap has allied himself with my opponent. These accusations are politically motivated and have been previously proven false," Marceno said previously. "I am disappointed that my opponent continues to stoop to this level. As always, my primary focus is the safety and security of the residents of Lee County."

On Monday, Marceno also referenced Shoap's support for Jim Leavans, who is opposing Marceno in the 2020 Sheriff's Office election.

Shoap confirmed he does support the Leavens' candidacy, endorsing him a few months ago, but he has made no financial contributions. Leavens is a former member of the Lee County Sheriff's Office, last serving as a major.

Shoap has also filed a complaint with the state ethics commission against Marceno, claiming he behaved inappropriately and violated state statutes.

Shoap, who was sheriff of Lee County from 2001 to 2004 and now lives in Spring Hill, Tennessee, filed the complaint in August and provided a notarized copy to The News-Press.

"Today I mailed a complaint to the Florida Commission on Ethics in reference to an investigation conducted by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, Office of Executive Investigations against appointed Sheriff Carmine Marceno," Shoap said in a statement.

Shoap based the ethics complaint on an FDLE investigation into a relationship between Marceno, 47, and Deanna Williams, 44. Williams had filed a paternity lawsuit against Marceno in November.

The FDLE investigated the allegation at Williams' request and "determined the information provided did not constitute a criminal predicate that would warrant a criminal investigation" at this time, according to a five-page summary.

The FDLE's investigation into Williams' complaint was opened Jan. 16 and closed Jan. 23. Investigators interviewed Williams about her complaints, and she provided insight into many aspects of their short-lived relationship.

The former sheriff had his own issues during his single term in office, one of which may have helped lead to his election loss to Mike Scott in 2004.

Shoap's relationship with his assistant Lynda Van Bibber became an issue after he gave her a department car, $68,000 in salary and benefits and provided no job description for her. She was a former campaign manager.

Shoap made regular weekday visits to Van Bibber's home, where he said they were planning a private real estate investment deal.

Shoap's comments about his relationship with Van Bibber and the real estate project came after The News-Press monitored his visits to her condominium for five months in 2001 and questioned him about it.

Between June 8 and Oct. 19, 2001, a reporter observed Shoap visiting Van Bibber's condominium 10 times.

"I don't think I have been inside her house more than five times," he said. Other times, he said, he just pulled up to load food or clothing for the ministries program.

During some visits, Shoap went into the condominium wearing one set of clothes and came out in a different set.

In a 2001 News-Press story, Shoap was adamant that his hiring of Van Bibber and his visits to her home during work hours were legitimate and not him spending taxpayers' money to facilitate a personal or business relationship with his assistant.

"I hired her the same way I would hire Jane Doe," he said.

Shoap said rumors about him and Van Bibber, who was 10 years his senior, started during the campaign.

"I know where this is coming from. They said it during the campaign. It got back to me," he said.

Shoap said he never had a sexual relationship with Van Bibber.

Connect with this reporter: MichaelBraunNP (Facebook) @MichaelBraunNP (Twitter)

Unregistered

Iriarte Lalors Smith Gizzi Collier Creeps Vaughn Aubuchon Bowden Canfield Hall Pavese

What do they have in common?

Demotions.

Got a hunch? Better a bunch!

Sorry, no soup for you.

We do not forgive.
    We do not forget.
    Expect us.

Unregistered

Um This says it all.

Even Aunt Judy isn't happy

https://ibb.co/m0GYmRt

Unregistered

Douchebag exspress to nowhere land

Douchebag gang talking about same old worthless garbage!

shoap ******* leavans spence forrest barley sandusky all dumbasses living in fairytale land!

Unregistered
    It's the Fear of the Reality that's already commenced by the announced Criminal Probe of Carmine, and the number of employees that some mortgaged their homes, to fund the Marceno campaign, in the hopes of wearing a White - Shirt one day, that the news of a corruption investigation of FDLE against Marceno, that is dashing their hopes, their investments, and their future!

When you read hate or profanity laced comments it's because of the aforementioned.

At the end of the day, the only person that has a lot to loose and quite possibly his freedom is only Carmine.

Unregistered

Marceno's crimes can't be overcome by big campaign dollars

Appointed Sheriff Carmine Marceno can't spend his way out of this one. Carmine Marceno has pursued crime victims for sex, bullied ex-girlfriend to abort his own child, lied about his education, committed felony fraud to skip the Florida police academy. This is just he start of it. Marceno can raise thousands, but this can't stop the flow of information getting about that he is a fake and fraud. Marceno can buy off Waterman with 200K, but he can't buy off Fox 4, nor can he buy off the entire internet.

Unregistered
    Hey waterman...fox news rocks. He bought you! Cowards

Unregistered
    National Media is Fully Aware, and Rick Scott and Marco Rubio, have unleashed FDLE on him.

Multiple criminal charges to follow!

Unregistered
    Again, if FDLE clears or has cleared Carmine during this review, what will you say next. He will be cleared of any wrong doing.

Unregistered
    You mean, he has been cleared. News Press advises more to come on Shoap’s shady past.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast