Lazy and Scared versus Real Cops - Page 6
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    My main goal is to do my time, get my full pension and get the heck out of here. Your goals may be different, good for you and good luck.
    Nobody cares, b!tch.

Unregistered
    If you define "proactive" shaking down every black teenager you see with some pot, running wide open throttle to everyone else's domestics, or trying to be Steve McQueen every time a car with no taillights runs from you, you won't make it to retirement. You'll be on the front page of the St Pete Slimes as an "ex-cop". As to the G.O's, and policies, as pointed out, they change with the weather. Being a slug is not the answer, but you can do the job and be a cop without making 7,000 enemies and being in IA. If you think otherwise, you shouldn't be in law enforcement. Or are you just in it for some 208 and ego stimulation?

Unregistered
    Funny thing about generational changes in police work. The people in charge now, would not have survived if they were
    working under today's policies. See, most policies have a lot of grey in them, loosely translated that means subject to the direction the Sheriff and Command decides to go with them. Not one person in this agency follows ever rule or policy every day for 30 or35 years till retirement. With that in mind, the best you can do is pay attention to what the Sheriff's attitude is towards certain situations. Pursuits for instance, catching bad guys in high speed pursuits where no one wrecked or got hurt is not enough, did you follow the policy as written. The end no longer justifies the means so to speak. I can remember years ago, a certain Lt. that was in Civil for years and years, returned to Patrol. He didnt last very long because he policed like it was still the 70's and 80's and failed to notice how much police work had changed, since he was last on the streets. To the guy that thinks hard nosed, aggressive police work that apparently only he is willing to do is today's yardstick, you are putting yourself on a island and eventually will get the attention I dont think you were looking for. Don't be the guy that is standing outside of Property with card board boxes full of your Agency equipment, wondering what happened? Thats all I'm saying.

Unregistered
    Funny thing about generational changes in police work. The people in charge now, would not have survived if they were
    working under today's policies. See, most policies have a lot of grey in them, loosely translated that means subject to the direction the Sheriff and Command decides to go with them. Not one person in this agency follows ever rule or policy every day for 30 or35 years till retirement. With that in mind, the best you can do is pay attention to what the Sheriff's attitude is towards certain situations. Pursuits for instance, catching bad guys in high speed pursuits where no one wrecked or got hurt is not enough, did you follow the policy as written. The end no longer justifies the means so to speak. I can remember years ago, a certain Lt. that was in Civil for years and years, returned to Patrol. He didnt last very long because he policed like it was still the 70's and 80's and failed to notice how much police work had changed, since he was last on the streets. To the guy that thinks hard nosed, aggressive police work that apparently only he is willing to do is today's yardstick, you are putting yourself on a island and eventually will get the attention I dont think you were looking for. Don't be the guy that is standing outside of Property with card board boxes full of your Agency equipment, wondering what happened? Thats all I'm saying.
    Actually, that is exactly the type of deputy that should be standing outside the agency with the box of his stuff wondering what happened.

Unregistered
    That's exactly how it is and anyone who wants to survive and get their time in better realize it fast. Don't make waves, stay low profile, fly under their radar and don't draw attention to yourself. Don't stick your neck out because your COC will not back you up when the SHTF. That's the way Bob's administration plays it so give them what they want. We may get a different sheriff someday and the culture may change but until then pay attention to the above, the guy knows what he is talking about because he obviously has some time on the books.

Unregistered
    That's exactly how it is and anyone who wants to survive and get their time in better realize it fast. Don't make waves, stay low profile, fly under their radar and don't draw attention to yourself. Don't stick your neck out because your COC will not back you up when the SHTF. That's the way Bob's administration plays it so give them what they want. We may get a different sheriff someday and the culture may change but until then pay attention to the above, the guy knows what he is talking about because he obviously has some time on the books.
    STFU and quit if you don’t like it.

Unregistered
    STFU and quit if you don’t like it.
    I like it because I do less but get the same pay as the hard chargers bucking for promotions. If you don't like what I am doing then you should quit.

Unregistered
    I like it because I do less but get the same pay as the hard chargers bucking for promotions. If you don't like what I am doing then you should quit.
    If that is what you are comfortable with then good for you. We need people to work day shift and at NDS too. Workers aren’t always bucking for a promotion. I didn’t. I like being busy and I like working in busy units and areas. The places I want to work don’t take place holders like you. You are the person they look for to fill the east side of Squad 8 and the cities north and south. When they need someone for crime prevention or a city traffic spot they come find you. When they need to fill VCTF, SND, etc, they come find me and those like me. Pay has never been my driving force. Clearly it’s yours. Good for you. We need people like you to fill the soft spots. In fact I think they need an HR Investigator, that sounds like it’s right up your alley.

Unregistered
    If that is what you are comfortable with then good for you. We need people to work day shift and at NDS too. Workers aren’t always bucking for a promotion. I didn’t. I like being busy and I like working in busy units and areas. The places I want to work don’t take place holders like you. You are the person they look for to fill the east side of Squad 8 and the cities north and south. When they need someone for crime prevention or a city traffic spot they come find you. When they need to fill VCTF, SND, etc, they come find me and those like me. Pay has never been my driving force. Clearly it’s yours. Good for you. We need people like you to fill the soft spots. In fact I think they need an HR Investigator, that sounds like it’s right up your alley.
    Good luck and hopefully you will get your time in for retirement without getting backstabbed or dragged into IAD for some BS and loose time or your job. Nobody will back you up when you need it most. They don't care about us.

Unregistered
    Good luck and hopefully you will get your time in for retirement without getting backstabbed or dragged into IAD for some BS and loose time or your job. Nobody will back you up when you need it most. They don't care about us.

Well junior at +20 years if they wanted me they would have had me. And there are times that they did have my back. There are times that they had the hard talk with me to keep me in check. And those things happen way more often than you think or know. I’ve been through AID, exonerated. I’ve had complaints at against me. I’ve taken some letters here and there. I’ve gotten some awards here and there. This Sheriff will back when you when you are right and you are honest. Just because you get suspended doesn’t mean he stabbed you in the back. In fact this is the most direct Sheriff I’ve worked for. That doesn’t mean he hands out hugs and wishes you a happy birthday every year. Maybe that’s what you want. I like the pay raises, equipment, hours and training. I like that we can do cop stuff without asking. Some agencies treat their cops like children. Some of those agencies are in this county. You need to educhate yourself on agency policy, criminal law, case law and get a degree. Learn to articulate better. Learn to justify your actions. It’s not hard. When you suck at any of that you will have issues. That’s what you signed up for. If you want to do thirty years in hiding, go for it. I’m doing my time being a cop.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast