12-Hour Shifts

Thread: 12-Hour Shifts

Unregistered

12-Hour Shifts

Couldn't attach the link, but read an article today that stated the head of FDOC has issues with 12-hour shifts and that officers are "exhausted, overworked, and depressed" because of the shifts so the thinking is to go back to 8's. I think the only thing keep officers here is the 12-hour shifts. What are y'all thoughts on 12's? Do you prefer them, or 8's instead ?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Couldn't attach the link, but read an article today that stated the head of FDOC has issues with 12-hour shifts and that officers are "exhausted, overworked, and depressed" because of the shifts so the thinking is to go back to 8's. I think the only thing keep officers here is the 12-hour shifts. What are y'all thoughts on 12's? Do you prefer them, or 8's instead ?
    I think they will split the difference and go to 10's! Don't matter to me I'll watch the set of keys for 16 hours a day if you are gonna pay me for it.

Unregistered
    I have worked 8s and 12s at a large county jail and 80% of the staff preferred 8s with fixed days off by seniority bid. The only ones who liked 12s with alternate weekends off were the newbie single young guys because they liked to go to the bars and chase tail. Everyone else hated 12s. When they switched to 12s there were a lot of retirements. A few months after the switch more people quit because the hours were not conducive to family life, school, pets, etc.

12s save on the labor cost but are bad for the employees' health and numerous studies have proven this. Any employer who uses 12s shows that it doesn't care about the well being of its employees.