State investigators begin ethics complaint investigation

Unregistered

State investigators begin ethics complaint investigation

Former Lee sheriff Shoap says state investigator contacted him about Marceno complaint
    Michael Braun, Fort Myers News-Press Published 7:40 p.m. ET Sept. 13, 2019 | Updated 9:28 p.m. ET Sept. 13, 2019

A former Lee County sheriff who filed a complaint with the state ethics commission against the county's chief law enforcement officer, Carmine
    Marceno, said an investigator assigned to the complaint has contacted him.

Rodney Shoap, who was sheriff of Lee County from 2001 to 2004 and now lives in Spring Hill, Tennessee, filed the complaint in August claiming Marceno behaved inappropriately and violated state statutes.

"I received a call earlier this week," Shoap said Friday. "It was the investigator assigned to the investigation. He introduced himself and we discussed the case and how it will go."

Shoap said he could not go into details of what the discussion entailed other than to say it was more introductory than anything and the ethics commission investigator explained how the investigation would be conducted.

"By their web instruction, they first determine if they have jurisdiction," Shoap said. "If so, they assign it to an investigator. They have done that."

As a rule, the Florida Commission of Ethics neither confirms or denies complaints until they are resolved. No timeline is generally given for resolution.

The independent, nine-member Commission oversees standards of conduct for officers and employees of Florida and its political subdivisions, and is responsible for investigating and issuing public reports on complaints of breach of the public trust by public officers and employees.

Shoap based the complaint on an FDLE investigation into a relationship between Marceno, 47, and Deanna Williams, 44. Williams had filed a paternity lawsuit against Marceno in November.

Reached Friday night, Marceno referred to his previous response to the complaint.

"Rod Shoap has allied himself with my opponent. These accusations are politically motivated and have been previously proven false," Marceno said Aug. 20. "I am disappointed that my opponent continues to stoop to this level. As always, my primary focus is the safety and security of the residents of Lee County."

Connect with this reporter: MichaelBraunNP (Facebook) @MichaelBraunNP (Twitter)

Unregistered
    The Sheriffs lackeys are awful quiet about this post Haha Haha kiss asses

Unregistered
    No, we just have statements ready to be provided. They had a friendship prior, some of us even went on double dates with them. Really a non issue! By the way, do you know what the penalty is if your found guilty of this violation? $200 fine, so stupid.

Unregistered
    Did you get your care package yet Rodney, the wife will be impressed.

Unregistered

Bravery

It is honor to call out frauds and investigate them. Honest men will show proof dishonest men excuses and slander.

Unregistered

Piling on not fair

The drum beat continues against the most popular Sheriff since Mike Scott but to no avail. The $1,000,000 campaign war chest will drown out these supposed fact.